IGNORED

Help me ID this bike

mrduck

newfile005-1.jpg

newfile004-1.jpg

This bike was stolen then recovered. The perps took the battery and mangled up the rear tail section along with the ignition switch.

Looking at the numbers I think it's an 88 but no idea what size motor. So whatta we got here?

This bike was ridable before this happened so the big question- is this worth fixing? Might be a cool project!

(snip)

The letter in the 10th position will identify the year:

1981 bikes used B

1982 bikes used C

1983 bikes used D

1984 bikes used E

1985 bikes used F

1986 bikes used G

1987 bikes used H

1988 bikes used J

1989 bikes used K

1990 bikes used L

1991 bikes used M

1992 bikes used N

1993 bikes used P

1994 bikes used R

1995 (last of airheads)...S

Try http://www.bmw-z1.com/VIN/VINdecode-e.cgi

or http://bmbikes.co.uk/enginechassis.htm

Looks like an '87 R80 standard. Maybe an '88. A nice one w/avg. miles and no damage history will bring about $3500.-4200. There aren't a lot of them around, they make a great usable classic, and are relatvely underappreciated.

Jerry Johnston

The bike looks really clean and probably low mileage. The fact that you know little about the bike - it wasn't stolen by you was it? lmao.gif

The bike looks really clean and probably low mileage. The fact that you know little about the bike - it wasn't stolen by you was it? lmao.gif

Naw, I'da left the battery in it grin.gif

Looks like an '87 R80 standard. Maybe an '88. A nice one w/avg. miles and no damage history will bring about $3500.-4200. There aren't a lot of them around, they make a great usable classic, and are relatvely underappreciated.

+1 on your ID. Monoshocks were introduced in '86.

I thought the R 80 had a single disc in the front?

The /7 R 80 had dual discs, but wasn't the rear suspension different than the photo?

1987 R80: dual disks, single rear shock

R80b.jpg

We have a winner!

Just got the paperwork from the owners insurance and you're right.

Looks like a new ignition switch,a tail piece and some minor bodywork stuff.

We're gonna try to do this work here for the owner as the nearest shop is two hours away-and a good chance to work on something different! Any info from ya'll will be real helpful! thumbsup.gif

Folks chime in, seems to me I read somewhere that that type of wheel (snowflake?) had some sort of manufacturing defect and were recalled. May be something to keep in mind should anyone verify.

Those aren't snowflake wheels so you're in good shape. The snowflakes came before these.

I had a 1987 R65 which was the same bike with a little less displacement. Loved that bike. The owner's manual was for both the R65 and the R80 and I had a spare copy. Want me to ask the current owner if it is for sale?

Those aren't snowflake wheels so you're in good shape. The snowflakes came before these.

I had a 1987 R65 which was the same bike with a little less displacement. Loved that bike. The owner's manual was for both the R65 and the R80 and I had a spare copy. Want me to ask the current owner if it is for sale?

Your right! Now that I look closer those are not the snowflakes. Was I right about snowflakes though?

Yes, the snowflakes were recalled and I think I read somewhere that BMW would still replace the recalled wheels!

My R65's new owner is going to bring me the 1987 sales flyer which show the complete line of 1987 R bikes and the spare owner's manual.

Was I right about snowflakes though?

Yes, my 1978 R100/RS had the "Snowflake" wheels both replaced by recall in 1985 or 86. The originals were prone to cracking instead of bending when impacting large pot holes. I cracked the rear on a pothole on Hwy36 between Denver and Boulder. The wheel stayed together, but the deflation was VERY sudden! I ended up putting a tube in the tire, so that I could ride the bike home. BMW replaced both wheels, no charge. I was the second owner, and the bike was long out of warranty.

Something is a little odd. In 1987 the R65 had unpainted valve covers but the R80 had black ones. Maybe these were bead blasted?

My '85 R80RT had black valve covers. Interesting end of the airheads; note the straight leg fork (after a bazilion leading axle forks), the front calipers ahead of the axle, and the premuffler (maynot be visible in the photo) near the rider's foot pegs. Nice bike.

Wooster

Oh yah, MrDuck's photo has aftermarket seat, a capitol cycle corbin look alike (so it looks to me)

It looks a lot like my 1986 R80RT, even the same color.

As I recall, there was an "80" embossed in the engine casting just where the cylinders connect to the engine casting when viewed from the top. I think I also recall noticing that the "80" was a "100" on the R100s. grin.gif

R80RTBriefcase2.jpg

If you want to know anything about this bike ask Ted Porter. He cut his teeth working on airheads and has over 30 years of experience. He is a BMW certified master mechanic. http://www.beemershop.com/ When the dealers don't know what to do with a vintage BMW bike they call him. He is absolutely the most customer oriented bike mechanic I have ever met. He has more tricks up his left sleeve than I have miles ridden, and I have a bunch.

Cheers!

later model (86 or 87) monoshock R100. Check carbs. Appear to be 40mm.

If you can differentiate 40 vs 32 mm bing cv carbs in that rather small pic, well, you're better than me (me being average, you've a 50% chance of being so). Regardless of visual discrimination no 1000cc airheads were marketed in the US in the '85 to '88 model years.

Wooster w/better than average memory

Wooster wrote:

Regardless of visual discrimination no 1000cc airheads were marketed in the US in the '85 to '88 model years.

Hold it, Wooster, yer' memory's gittin' fuzzy. I believe 1988 was the return year for the R100RS.

Hold it, Wooster, yer' memory's gittin' fuzzy. I believe 1988 was the return year for the R100RS.

You're absolutely right about fuzzy memory; and probably correct on R100RS. What I recall is no 1000cc boxers for the first few years of the K100 series. It was as if BMW didn't want boxers competing with bricks. Then when three cylinder bricks came out, big boxers came back.

Back to the "mystery bike"; I'm reasonably certain no plain R100 was offered in mid 80s and beyond.

Wooster who would turn back time but Cher's done it allready

Thanks for all the info,you guys are great! thumbsup.gif

Now,where does one get parts for a 20 year old beemer? Beemer boneyard does not carry parts for airheads so any ideas where we can find stuff like the body parts?

This looks identical to my 1987 R80 and I believe the last year that R80's came to the US was 1987, even though they were in production until the early 1990's. The only difference I see is this one has the thermometer for the oil dip stick.

Archived