IGNORED

gp shift pattern

mbob

anyone ever tried to convert a R1100RS to gp shift pattern?

I do track days on my other bike {Buell XB12S} which was

easy to convert and would like to stick with one style.

I love the gp pattern. It is much quicker and accurate.

Know it wont be easy but thought someone may have tried

it before.

Thanks

bob

Please educate us.

What is different about the GP shift pattern? confused.gif

Peter, it’s reversed from the normal 1 down & 5 up shift pattern.. Usually has neutral at the end of pattern with upshifts done by pushing shift lever down..

As far as I can tell mainly used to get additional foot to ground clearance while upshifting & leaned over in a corner..

Twisty

Please educate us.

What is different about the GP shift pattern? confused.gif

Just flip your current shift pattern upside down so 1st is at the top and 6th (or 5th...whatever your top gear is) on the bottom.

So, you push down on the shifter to go up a gear, and lift up to go down.

One reason people do that is like Twisty said...to get extra clearance. For example, the last few turns at California Speedway's AMA course are basically one big left turn leading up onto the banking on the NASCAR tri-oval. You spend an awful lot of time leaned WAY over to the left, and you're hard on the gas the whole time. You HAVE to shift, but you're leaned over so far you can't get your foot under the shifter. With the GP pattern, you don't have to get your foot under, so it's no problem.

Since you're generally relatively upright when you are braking/downshifting, it isn't a problem to give up ground clearance there by having to put you foot under the shifter.

Personally...in addition to the lean angle/ground clearance bit, I just like it better. To me, it feels more natural than a normal shift pattern.

On many bikes, switching to GP shift is a simple matter of flipping the shift linkage over so it pushes/pulls on the opposite side of the gear selector shaft.

To the OP: unfortunately, I don't believe that switching an oilhead to GP shift is an easy thing. I know it's been asked a few times, and nobody seems to have ever done it. Personally, I haven't really spent any time looking at the linkage to see if it would be possible.

To the OP: unfortunately, I don't believe that switching an oilhead to GP shift is an easy thing. I know it's been asked a few times, and nobody seems to have ever done it. Personally, I haven't really spent any time looking at the linkage to see if it would be possible.

IIRC the boxer cup bikes had a GP shift. I do not know if that extended to the replicas, thought I doubt it.

Andy

Sorry I had to leave for a while.

Thanks Twisty and Russell for explaining it.

The bike shifts much better when going up the gears under power off of a corner. Also downshifting while braking

feels more intuitive. It doesn't look real easy Andy

but I will see what I can come up with.

Thank a lot

Bob smile.gif

I found a shift converter for a R1100S at the WUEDO website

but cannot get the pic to load up. Does anyone have a picture

that they could share?

Thanks

Bob

94 R1100RS

04 XB12S

73 BONNEVILLE