IGNORED

I just rode the Concourse 14 today

SteveHebert

On my way home I decided to take a ride over to the dealer to borrow a tool for my shocks. When I get there he tosses me the key to the Concourse and says take it as long as you want! The dealer is Beasley's in Ozark, Alabama and has great service.

Anyway, I have wanted to try one for some time so I jumped on and let her roll. The controls were very easy to find and use and looked very similar to the FJR. It was quiet and smooth as heck, oh yeah - and faster than hell! I almost sharted as I wound her up! The brakes were very responsive and not grabby at all. The instrument cluster was very simple and easy to read. The clutch and brake levers very nice and easy to pull. The mirrors are in a great position and have a large viewing area with no vibration. The bike handled well and felt very light. Those were the pros.

I noticed within minutes how hot the bike was. In 4th gear I was baking in the lower leg area and was very uncomfortable. The bars were a bit buzzy, the windshield noisy in all positions and the seat was awful. I ended up turning around and bringing the bike back after about 15 minutes. Most of those items can and will be corrected with aftermarket gadgets.

I think it is going to be a great SPORT touring machine when the aftermarket providers catch up. The price is very resaonable and the warranty superb!

Just my .02 cents. I will try the FJR when I return the tool.

I was reading in one of the cycle mags this month about it and they mentioned that there is somekind of deflector that can be removed or left on, that either directs the heat toward you or away from you. The only problem they mentioned was that setting still might get a little uncomfortable, but the idea is to not set still while on any bike, right!

I saw one at the dealership last week. I sure like the looks of it in grey. BIKE magazine did a big review on the bike and noted that it was very top heavy. This bike would definitely be on my short list if I was looking for a new bike.

Met a guy on one yesterday. He said that he has no complaints as he came off a wing. He wanted more ponies and a smaller bike. He said the heat was not any big deal????? I for one felt the bike fairing and shrouds and it was not out of the norm after he had been riding awhile...so the heat issue is not until I ride one and make up my own mind. He did say the w/s sucked and that the machine was very fast. Not that fast makes it a great bike. He was of the opinion that it was the best bike he had ever owned....question is how many has he owned?? I forgot to ask that.....He also said he got it for $14,300 OTD with ABS......so I would be game to own one if the farkles were out there. I was going to get one in Jan. I will wait as I have been checking for farkles and not so many out there. A year will be enough time.....

I noticed within minutes how hot the bike was. In 4th gear I was baking in the lower leg area and was very uncomfortable. . . . Most of those items can and will be corrected with aftermarket gadgets.
there're a number of threads and many comments on concours heat here. seems the aftermarket has already gotten started with the heat issue, which appears to be nontrivial.
...The only problem they mentioned was that setting still might get a little uncomfortable, but the idea is to not set still while on any bike, right!
Sounds like an awesome bike for commuting in stop-n-go traffic! lmao.gif I would have been very surprised to -NOT- hear about heat issues. Any bike with that many ponies is going to make a lot of heat.

I've been looking hard at the Concours 14 also since I don't have the $$ for a new RT.

I've been following things on their forum and test drove one. In spite of the unreliable FD, I think I will get a used RT, probably an '05 or '06 model this fall. NADA has the '05 at $13k retail and the '06 in the $13.6 range which is similar to the price of the Concours.

Reasons I'll get the RT: you sit more upright on the RT (even with barbacks on the C14), wind management is much better and there are no heat problems to overcome. The C14 has no cruise, self-canceling signals, heated grips, provision for stereo or speakers and comes in only one color (greenish silver - not to my liking). It also has the KPass system which is a fully integrated anti=theft system. Lose your special key and you are in trouble. The plusses for the C14 is an incredibly smooth engine, great transmission and a rear drive that is probably reliable. (one failure has been reported on the forum.)

In my mind the C14 is a SPORT-tourer, not a sport-TOURER. It is more like the K1200GT than an RT. If Kawasaki gets the drift as to why the RT is so popular and makes some modifications, I think it might outsell the RT. They would need to manage the heat, manage the wind, offer adjustable ergos, cruise, heated grips/seat, stereo, etc. I understand they are about to offer an optional gel seat...

Gael

Add to all of the above, this tidbit.

Valve checks/adjustments are a MAJOR ordeal on the C14.

Early reports were the engine had to be pulled out.

Although I hope this isn't the case for anyone involved with this bike, that's when I stopped considering the C14.

Even without the engine-pull, it's still suppose to be a PITA to perform this part of the "maintenance".

That's one of the things that brought me back to looking at the R12RT again. Simpler maintenance.

When will bike makers work THAT into the equation.

Archived