IGNORED

Slow leak - Slime - TPM

bmurphypdx

Had a slow leak today in my rear tire, lost about 1psi every 5 miles. Had a bottle of Fix-a- Flat and noticed it warned against using it with tire sensors. So I did not use it, just topped off with some extra air and drove home. Does anyone have experience with TPM and these products? Thanks.

I wouldn't trust my life with any of this stuff. Brush on some soapy water and find the leak. Then fix it properly. If the tire has a nail, a properly installed patch is permanent. I got a nail in my last rear tire, and I patched it from the inside. I carefully and thoroughly roughed up the area around the patch, then installed a radial tire patch, taking care to hammer the patch down thoroughly to ensure the glue was fully set. 15,000 km later when it was worn out, I removed the tire and the patch was as good as the day I applied it. There was no way I could peel it off.

I haven't used fix a flat in many years, it did work when I used it but it is hard to clean up later - it makes a mess in the tire. I wouldn't use it with TPM system. I would use a plug in most cases since it can be done on side of the road or an internal patch if the flat happens at place where it is possible/convenient to patch it (which has never been the case for me).

I generally agree with using a plug or patch. This leak was so slow however that I could not find it roadside so where to patch? I'm thinking of a situation where I'm miles from anywhere and need to get somewhere. I guess that means slime for an emergency and be prepared to replace the TPM sensor.

I generally agree with using a plug or patch. This leak was so slow however that I could not find it roadside so where to patch? I'm thinking of a situation where I'm miles from anywhere and need to get somewhere. I guess that means slime for an emergency and be prepared to replace the TPM sensor.

In the space where the slime would go, pack a small electrical compressor. If the leak is slow that will keep you on the road, after all the TPM will let you know when it needs topping off. If it is fast you should be able to find it and the compressor will let you re-inflate the tyre post plugging.

Andy

I carry a compact bicycle pump. Not as convienent as the mini compressors, but it works too.

I know when I worked at a bicycle shop, we hated when someone used Slime. It was such a F'ing mess to deal with. It rarely fixed the leak...which was often a pinch flat because the tires were underinflated, or the rider was a f** a**. SO the goo oozed out all inside the rim. a 5 minute tube change became a 15-20 minute mess. I often changed flats for free to existing customers, but when slime was involved...full price! Sometimes extra!

Archived