IGNORED

Road Assist card

gordiet

I have a 05 1200RT with 9000 miles and have owned it since Oct. 06 and have been trying to to goe this DAMN card from BMW since I bought it. 16 months now and I'm still being told it's in the mail! Geeez, I thing these guys are sleeping! The daaler in Scootdale AZ has been great, but they can't get it eather. Is this the way BMW does business?

I have been riding for 45 years (1st BMW) and have never seen a deal like this! GT confused.gif

ShovelStrokeEd

When and if it gets there, you can use it to scrape crap off the sole of your boot. Join AAA and get the RV+ membership. They actually answer the phone, can figure out you have a motorcycle, not a cage and they will tow 100 miles for free, put you up in a hotel for up to 2 days and provide a rental car. This is unlike BMW who gives you a whopping $100 on the towing and none of the other stuff. Oh yeah, also a 10% discount on the rate in most hotels. I spend about 150 or more nights a year on the road so my company pays for the card. It also works with any vehicle you own or happen to be driving.

To Ed's point, the BMW program is so limited it's to the point of useless.

The K.0.A. plan is also popular with motorcyclist. $89 a year or something like that.

This is unlike BMW who gives you a whopping $100 on the towing and none of the other stuff.

Not quite true.. I had to use the BMW assist in August (flat tire, belts separated).. Once I got the phone agent to understand I was on a bike, it went well. Tow bill was $370 and it covered it. According to the tow truck driver, the BMW plan will cover up to $500.

YMMV

TinMan.

This is unlike BMW who gives you a whopping $100 on the towing and none of the other stuff.

Not quite true.. I had to use the BMW assist in August (flat tire, belts separated).. Once I got the phone agent to understand I was on a bike, it went well. Tow bill was $370 and it covered it. According to the tow truck driver, the BMW plan will cover up to $500. YMMV TinMan.

My mileage varied quite a bit. In May, 2006, I had to be towed 26 miles to my dealer for a nail in the rear tire. It took 3 phone calls to convince them it wasn't for a BMW cage, and I had to pay $66.00 of the $166.00 towing bill. Wish I had been informed of the $100 limitation.

How much extra is the AAA RV+ coverage?

Tom

Join AAA and get the RV+ membership.

Good tip! Thanks. I've been a AAA+ member for years but this is the first I've heard of the RV+ category. They always told me that they don't cover MC's so, I've been buying AMA's MOTOW program but I've never had to use it. My local AAA people will be hearing from me soon! grin.gif

ShovelStrokeEd

Tom,

I think the cost varies by region. Mine is $105/year here in Florida. At the current rates for towing and considering I have used them twice, once getting a night in a hotel and a rental car, it will be a few more years before they get their money back.

They also do a pretty good job of getting me hotel rooms and a no worse than Mapquest job of routing me where I need to go. I use my GPS all the time but, I always log onto the AAA site and print up a few paper maps.

Thanks everyone for the info. I am glad to hear there are some options. I do believe Bmw Corp. people don't listen to the people who buy there bikes! I just got an email from Bmw telling me they are real sorry it has taken so long to send the card and they have sent another one--SHIEEET! Think I'll buy a KEW Concourse 14!

GT dopeslap.gif

Join AAA and get the RV+ membership.

Good tip! Thanks. I've been a AAA+ member for years but this is the first I've heard of the RV+ category. [snip] My local AAA people will be hearing from me soon! grin.gif

From the California Automobile Association web site, talking about ERS (Emergency Road Service):

Motorcycles and scooters are not eligible for towing or battery jumps.

I suspect there are just too many M/C's in CA for the CAA to make money. frown.gif

I bought an '05 RT in December 2005. No card yet.

I bought an '06 GS in May 2006. No card yet.

My brother bought an '06 GT in May 2006. No card yet. But, he just got a Roadside Assistance renewal form on his '03 GT that he hasn't owned in several years.

I suppose it doesn't matter, so long as I have the Roadside Assist number in my cell phone. It's aggravating, though, that BMW NA has its head stuck so far up its arse.

When and if it gets there, you can use it to scrape crap off the sole of your boot. Join AAA and get the RV+ membership. They actually answer the phone, can figure out you have a motorcycle, not a cage and they will tow 100 miles for free, put you up in a hotel for up to 2 days and provide a rental car. This is unlike BMW who gives you a whopping $100 on the towing and none of the other stuff. Oh yeah, also a 10% discount on the rate in most hotels. I spend about 150 or more nights a year on the road so my company pays for the card. It also works with any vehicle you own or happen to be driving.

This appears to depend on what state you live in, and even more complicating, whatever benefits you get for a bike or RV are only valid in your home state; any issue out of state will be controlled by that state's AAA program. Based on the comment about CAA, sounds like AAA might not be much better than BMW.

The AARP deal appears to be the most inclusive for bikes and RVs.

The AARP deal appears to be the most inclusive for bikes and RVs.

I've got RV Roadhelp from Allstate Travel Club. Covers M/Cs, RVs and autos, with no limitation on towing expense. The deal is through KOA and it's < $80 for the first year, IIRC.

I buy the bike to ride not to get it towed or delivered with a card. Don't know the concourse 14 yet but I really don't care I love my BMW.

For those who collect cards try ebay..........I could contribute with a few Frequent Flyer ones.

h

I have RV roadhelp from Allstate. I used it once this summer in Pocatello. Got me towed. I call yesterday to the service number and after a chase around the buttons I finally got a real voice...someone in Pakistan or India. I finally asked for a benefit brochure when I realized I was not getting the info easily.

After it comes in 1-2 weeks and I really read it I may do the AAA card and not worry about the inclusive 10% off at KOA. wave.gif

Archived