IGNORED

PA County Seat Tour - Progress Report

George Brown

A few weeks ago, I posted that I set a personal goal of visiting all 67 county seats in the Great Commonwealth of Pennsylvania within a 12 month period on my bike. To date, I have visited 14.

I visited the first, Laporte (Sullivan County) on July 18. This was an easy visit because Judy and I had trailered the RT to Eagles Mere or a couple day getaway and a test run for the trailer that I purchased in June. Eagles Mere is about 7 miles west of Laporte.

By the end of July, I had visited four more: Pottsville (Schuykill) and Jim Thorpe (Carbon) in one trip and Allentown (Lehigh) and Easton (Northampton) in a second trip. August was a dead motorcycling month due to a vacation to the NJ shore for a week and other family activities. Then we went to the UN.

Since returning from the UN, I have visited 9 more. The Saturday (9/8) after the UN, I visited Stroudsburg (Monroe), Milford (Pike) and Honesdale (Wayne). Then on the 13th, I visited Wilkes-Barre (Lucerne), Scranton (Lackawanna), Tunkhannock (Wyoming) and Montrose (Susquehanna). Sunday the 16th, I knocked off Reading (Berks).

After the Reading trip, my rear tire was toast @ 10,800mi. So last week was devoted to replacing the tire, adjusting the rear brake light switch (light was staying on) and removing the remaining radios and communication equipment the previous owner had installed on my RT (I’ve only had this bike 8 years and I never used this stuff - once I figure out what I have I post it for sale). Then we had some rain and other commitments.

This afternoon I had a chance to get out for a couple of hours so I knocked of Doylestown (Bucks), my home county. After visiting the court house and taking a few photos, I headed up PA-611 a few miles to Plumsteadville then over to the Delaware River at Point Pleasant. From there, I returned to New Hope via PA-32, which runs along the river. The sky was cloudless and the river was like glass above the wing dams. From New Hope, I meandered over some back roads to home finishing a very nice 55 mile ride. Life is Good! grin.gif

I love the concept of this tour. thumbsup.gif Pa. is so diverse. I hope you're taking pictures to share. tongue.gif Give a shout when you're on the way to Dauphin, Adams, York, Cumberland, Franklin or Fulton Counties.

Archived