IGNORED

scooters in the USA

randy

I have a co-worker asking about scooters.

I know about Suzuki, and Honda and Vespa. Am I missing any others. I think the primary use is around town, commuting and errand running. No roads over 45 MPH speed limit. It is a women co-worker who is asking. She had never ridden a motoryclce of scooter before, but she rides bicycles for fitness.

any comments to pass on to he would be appreciated.

Also Yamaha, Piaggio (owners of Vespa), Kymco (Taiwanese), and about a zillion Chinese brands nobody ever heard of.

If she's going to ride on roads with a 45 mph limit, she should stay away from the 50cc scooters (unless she wants a hopped-up 2-stroke scooter. I have a Yamaha Vino 50 with a 70cc kit and expansion chamber pipe, and it works OK at those speeds). A Yamaha Vino 125 would probably be good. One of the 250cc scooters might be better, but they start to get a little on the large side, i.e., they start to take up as much parking space as a motorcycle. The Vespa 250 is probably an exception to this.

Unless she's just gotta have a Vespa, I would stick to one of the Japanese brands. Quality is excellent, and dealers are everywhere. That being said, the dealers may not be very enthusiastic about scooters. But at least you can get parts. I've heard Vespa is much like other Italian moto companies in that regard.

There is, of course, a tendency for scooter riders to not feel the need for ATGATT. They are generally going slower, and don't have to worry about a heavy bike landing on their legs, but otherwise the risks are pretty much the same. What percentage of motorcycle accidents happen under 45 mph? I'll bet it's pretty high. Scooter riders should still wear gear. But of course, it's not part of the style, and style plays a major role in the scooter world.

Aprilla also makes Scooters.

My wife bought a 2007 Suzuki Burgman (the 400cc model) about 6 months ago. She finds that it's very easy to ride and that it has NO trouble keeping up with bigger bikes at highway speeds. She maintained 75MPH for hours at a time. I ride a 1200GSA... she pretty much kept pace with me during our 2700 mile trip to the MOA this past July.

thanks for the posts, actually (I think) the 400cc Honda is the leading candidate right now.

I don't think Honda has such a thing. They've got the 250cc Reflex and Helix, and the 600cc Silverwing.

Yamaha and Suzuki have 400s.

I never saw the point in a scooter. I've ridden a friend's $4000 italian super scooter (Aprilia?) and I still haven't changed my mind - it was good for a scooter, but it was still a scooter.

Plenty of good, cheap small cc bikes out there and you get better handling and brakes for the money.

I purchased the Scarabeo 500 Aprilia scooter for 2005. Had hard panniers and topcase as standard. Went 95 mph and had brakes that were so impressive our motorcycle safety instructors took turns riding it and raving about the brakes. Turned on a dime, got 65 mpg and all I had to do is just sit on a great seat and ride. Anybody who says there are plenty of better 125, 250 cc motorcycles out there that have better brakes and handling have not ridden the latest scooters. These are remarkably well built machines and my Scarabeo was discussed at every gas station and stop I made as one of the prettiest bikes they'd ever seen and one person thought it was a BMW from the back. smile.gif

The problem I had with the Scarabeo was that Piaggio purchased them and parts were becoming scarce as they revamped their distribution centers for the U.S. Made me nervous, so I sold it. I regret it to this day. I own an 06 1200 rt, an 08 Kawai Versys which are both great bikes, but I still miss that scooter for sheer grins per mile.

Bruce

Had hard panniers and topcase as standard. Went 95 mph and had brakes that were so impressive our motorcycle safety instructors took turns riding it and raving about the brakes. Turned on a dime, got 65 mpg and all I had to do is just sit on a great seat and ride.

Yeah...but other than that, what's the appeal?

thumbsup.gif

I never saw the point in a scooter. I've ridden a friend's $4000 italian super scooter (Aprilia?) and I still haven't changed my mind - it was good for a scooter, but it was still a scooter.

Plenty of good, cheap small cc bikes out there and you get better handling and brakes for the money.

I used to agree with you UNTIL my wife discovered them. Years ago she learned to ride and even got a bike... she just didn't take to it. After many years she discovered scooters.

So you're asking why? Well... they can be lighter and easier to ride. The larger ones can perform just as well as most motorcycles. No clutch to worry about.

I'm happy to see my wife riding and that was all I needed to get past my silly little prejudice.

Appeal? What's the appeal of riding a mountain bike one day and a road bike the next? I don't know, maybe the difference is in the difference. There are a lot of people out there that have made the transition from scooter to motorcycle because it was easier to get over the fear of shifting. I had two women in my motorcycle safety course who were. They eventually purchased a motorcycle after about a year of riding and learning on their scooter. I find that an acceptable way to enjoy the open road and the experience of travel on two tires. Good enough for me.

Bruce

I'm happy to see my wife riding and that was all I needed to get past my silly little prejudice.

Call it a "silly little prejudice" all you want.

I said I don't see the point, still don't. At any price point I'd rather have a motorcycle than a scooter.

Granted, riding my friend's Aprilia to the store and back I wasn't exactly pushing the envelope, but I was hardly impressed, especially for $4000. Now, some of these $8000 scooters might be great, but I was just looking at a well maintained 60k mile R1100RT loaded with lights, sat, nav, etc for $5200 sitting outside a local shop for sale.

It doesn't compute for me. If that's what your wife wants to ride, I'd rather see that than another Suburban on the streets for sure, but I'd be hard pressed to suggest to a friend or family member with $4000 to spend that they go with a scooter over a good used bike.

Different strokes.

edit- none of that's really important to the original poster - whatever your friend gets make sure it has decent brakes and is mechanically sound and she gets some education and wears protective gear.

Appeal? What's the appeal of riding a mountain bike one day and a road bike the next? I don't know, maybe the difference is in the difference. There are a lot of people out there that have made the transition from scooter to motorcycle because it was easier to get over the fear of shifting. I had two women in my motorcycle safety course who were. They eventually purchased a motorcycle after about a year of riding and learning on their scooter. I find that an acceptable way to enjoy the open road and the experience of travel on two tires. Good enough for me.

Bruce

Maybe you missed the smilie....I was just pulling your leg.

Saw the smilie but as my sainted mother used to say, "the truth is often said in jest". But I can certainly see how a scooter could cause grown men to wince. I mean, look at all those italian men riding those vespas!

Bruce

Saw the smilie but as my sainted mother used to say, "the truth is often said in jest". But I can certainly see how a scooter could cause grown men to wince. I mean, look at all those italian men riding those vespas!

Bruce

Nah...no issues from me. A scooter doesn't really fit the profile for the type of riding that I like to do, but the small ones look like fun for around town stuff, and the big ones are damn impressive.

I said I don't see the point, still don't. At any price point I'd rather have a motorcycle than a scooter.
Fine, don't buy one then. But what's the point of posting here (twice) knocking someone who DOES see the point?

The OP was asking about specific recommendations for someone who is interested, not opinions about why someone (you) would not be interested in them.

I say 3 cheers for anyone who is interested in any form of more practical, efficient transportation. The world needs a lot more of them.

I'm not sure how to respond to this, but are you saying that the scooter somehow doesn't equate to your image of a man's vehicle? If it's because you think of it as impractical, I can find plenty of 400 and 500 cc scooters at $2500 that are used and go 90 to 100 mph with every bit as good or better handling and brakes. I'm just not sure that it's so much the fact it's a scooter as it strikes a disonant note with some guys who find it less then the masculine machine a motorcycle somehow suggests.

Oh well.

Bruce

The OP was asking about specific recommendations for someone who is interested, not opinions about why someone (you) would not be interested in them.

Actually he asked for any comments to pass on. My comment is to consider motorcycles in addition / instead of scooters. It's the same advice I'd give my mother if she asked the same question.

I'm not sure how to respond to this, but are you saying that the scooter somehow doesn't equate to your image of a man's vehicle?

I never said anything of the sort. The fact that YOU went there says a lot about YOU, however.

If it's because you think of it as impractical, I can find plenty of 400 and 500 cc scooters at $2500 that are used and go 90 to 100 mph with every bit as good or better handling and brakes.

That has not been my experience with scooters, but assuming you are correct, we can say that there are modern used scooters performing on par with modern used motorcycles at almost any given beginner level price point, making them very comparable.

As such, a person looking at one would be remiss not considering the other.

I'm just not sure that it's so much the fact it's a scooter as it strikes a disonant note with some guys who find it less then the masculine machine a motorcycle somehow suggests.

Hey Dr. Freud, sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Ignore him.

He's smart and typically correct, but he learned all his social skills from Gregory House. grin.gif

I've missed your little inside joke, but it presupposes I have any social skills, which is obviously an egregious error.

The larger Aprilias and Piaggios still stuffer from the old scooter design: swingarm-mounted engine. You're always going to have some deficiency with such a design, but it's rather proven, along with most of the engines.

Some of the latest (such as my Burgman 650) mount the engine in the frame.

Why a scooter? Storage, no clutch, low center of gravity. I can store two full-face helmets under my seat (not that I ever carry two full-face helmets.) Throw on a Givi topcase, and I have more storage than most RTs with far less width. I don't have to worry about feathering the clutch as a split through traffic, up and down the steep hills of San Francisco. Finally, despite the long wheelbase of my scooter (the benefit is far greater for others) I can still maneuver in traffic and in tight areas better than one is going to be able to on anything larger.

If one derives motorcycling satisfaction by moving up and down a gearbox or by listening to the sound -- a common point of scooter derision around here -- then a scooter's not a great idea. If one is looking for the cheapest motorcycle transport, a scooter's not a good idea.

I've been quite happy with my shift to the Burgman 650. Someone else might not have been. I get 15 MPG more (and no stinky clutch on arrival) on my commute than my K1200RS gave me, and I don't get roasted, which my Sprint ST often attempted. I get more in-town maneuverability and storage, to boot. Those are the points applicable to me.

Based on reviewing what I wrote, I don't believe I suggested anything personal so I wouldn't expect the kind of response I got. I think you may have become a bit defensive but responding about my own masculinity was out of bounds. I suggest you review what I wrote and keep your comments more in line with the actual content and context of the discussion. It was clear I was speaking in generalities. I don't think this discussion has been meaningful for the original poster and I regret that.

Bruce

I'm not sure how to respond to this, but are you saying that the scooter somehow doesn't equate to your image of a man's vehicle?

I never said anything of the sort. The fact that YOU went there says a lot about YOU, however.

If it's because you think of it as impractical, I can find plenty of 400 and 500 cc scooters at $2500 that are used and go 90 to 100 mph with every bit as good or better handling and brakes.

That has not been my experience with scooters, but assuming you are correct, we can say that there are modern used scooters performing on par with modern used motorcycles at almost any given beginner level price point, making them very comparable.

As such, a person looking at one would be remiss not considering the other.

I'm just not sure that it's so much the fact it's a scooter as it strikes a disonant note with some guys who find it less then the masculine machine a motorcycle somehow suggests.

Hey Dr. Freud, sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Holy cow!!

Little did the unsuspecting proprietor know that people could argue about scooters! Wow!

I think a scooter could be perfect for the circumstances you describe. It would be relatively light with an easier reach to the ground--just the ticket for some riders. It seems like a great commuting/errand running tool.

Little did the unsuspecting proprietor know that people could argue about scooters!
Surely you jest. By now you must know that there is nothing we can't argue about... grin.gif

Maybe more important than brand of scooter is safety.

Be sure she checks into safety gear and the availability of MSF courses for scooters. Where I live the streets are full of helmetless college kids on scooters, and MSF BRC courses aplenty but only for motorcycles.

I don't see the point in the super scooters, either, but then I've never ridden one. A small scooter, on the other hand, like my Vino 50 or a Vino 125, is really handy. It's as maneuverable as a bicycle, can often be parked in bicycle parking, but can carry a lot more stuff and go a lot faster, while daintily sipping on gasoline. I can lean it over as far you like and still hold it up with one hand (and I'm sure most women could, too), so there's zero chance of a parking lot tipover, which is a possible hazard even with fairly small bikes. Sure, I look like a dork on it, but I don't care.

Ignore him.

He's smart and typically correct, but he learned all his social skills from Gregory House. grin.gif

I've missed your little inside joke, but it presupposes I have any social skills, which is obviously an egregious error.

+1 lmao.gif

You think this is an argument, Leslie? Wait until someone starts talking about my horses. smile.gif Them's fighting words where I come from.

I agree though, the much maligned scooter has some tremendous advantages that shouldn't be discounted.

Bruce

Holy cow!!

Little did the unsuspecting proprietor know that people could argue about scooters! Wow!

I think a scooter could be perfect for the circumstances you describe. It would be relatively light with an easier reach to the ground--just the ticket for some riders. It seems like a great commuting/errand running tool.

In addition to my 1200 RT, I own two Vespas, one a 50cc for my wife and kids to ride and a 200GT that my two boys with motorcylce endorsements and I ride. I keep these at the beach, where they are perfect. You can park them at any bicycle rack in town (Rehoboth Beach, DE), pick up groceries (my 200 can hold over a case of Dogfish Head 90 minute pale ale, a beer I highly reccommend). I can run to other cities at over 80 MPH in comfort with my installed windscreen. And as someone else mentioned, with more grins per mile than anything else I can remember.

It won't ever replace my bigger bikes, but for a local mission they can't be beat. I went with the Vespas despite the premium price due to the local service and build quality. They really seem to be better made than the other brands I've ridden.

Scooters in Europe are used for urban transportation, are easy to ride, easy to park. Have practical storage, can be ridden by anyone, female in a skirt, guys in a suit. They not to replace motorcycles, more so cars that take up space and pollute more. Who said that they make no sense? For people in this forum who are die-hard bike riders scooters may not be an option, but for many smart thinking others they are just great. I rode a Burgman 650 for a short while. What a blast! Quick, agile, automatic transmission, (what sacrilege)just jump on ang go. I found the suspension a little hard and the passenger seat too high,my wife did not like it. Drivers position of course is extremely flexible, angle your legs, stretch them, cross your legs for that matter. A friend of mine invested into Vespa franchise a couple of years ago. Smart move I think.

i'm finding women are buying scooters to go touring. we tour with a gal on a silverwing, she loves it and it does not hold up traffic. i've ridden it and its really remarkable, just buzzes at 75.

i choose a regular motorcycle, maybe its what i'm used to, but scooters definately have a place.

Scooters are a hot item around here, at least among kids, retirees, and convicted drunk drivers. I see many a grown man on a scooter (under 50cc) that look out of place. wink.gif

Holy cow!!

I don't think we are arguing about scooters. I think we're arguing about one particular poster deciding to ridicule that someone might consider one.

I can't help much on a suggestion (haven't ridden a scooter in years). But I would encourage her none-the-less. Here in Denver they are wildly popular. So much so, that last year they held a major rally. I posted a ride tale, and included some of the following photos.

84690909-M.jpg

100's of scooters, new, old, restored, customized, touring, quick...you name it.

84690867-M.jpg

84690917-M.jpg

Good luck.

Mike O

Holy cow!!

The marketing wizards at Honda saw this one coming and have a product that fills the bill nicely, with appropriate nomenclature I might add...

The Big Ruckus lmao.gif

I smile every time I hear it, brilliant, I'd rate it right up there with Road King and Monster. grin.gif

I think we're arguing about one particular poster deciding to ridicule that someone might consider one.

Where did I ridicule scooters or scooter riders?

I see plenty of ridicule from this little club pointed at me, but all I've said is I don't think scooters make sense and I've explained why I think that.

Why don't you point out where I've ridiculed anything so I can try to get some social skills.

I had no idea that scooters should be such a polarizing issue. FWIW, I sometimes disagree with Fugu's viewpoint, but I didn't see anything but a well-reasoned statement about why he doesn't dig them. It might be useful to turn our attention back to the OP's question, rather than slapping each other around.

Personally, I think scooters are a better transportation solution than motorcycles, for most people. Since they're generally smaller and less complicated to operate (automatic or CVT transmissions), those who don't have the benefit of motorcycle training or experience are likely to be more comfortable on them. They're also darned efficient, both in their packaging (step-through design and generally a lot of storage) and in terms of fuel economy. I've toyed with the idea of getting a couple of small Honda or Yamaha scooters, so my wife and I could run around town on them.

Which brings me to an important point, one already touched upon by others: safety. Here in Illinois, you don't need a motorcycle or motor-driven cycle endorsement to operate a scooter that displaces less than 50 cc. A lot of people take this as a sign that there are no risks in riding scooters, ignoring the fact that a rider can suffer serious or fatal injuries even at lower speeds. Frankly, I'd feel a little goofy riding a 49 cc. Honda Metropolitan whilst wearing my Aerostich, but it would be unwise to ignore the risks.

The marketing wizards at Honda saw this one coming and have a product that fills the bill nicely, with appropriate nomenclature I might add...

The Big Ruckus lmao.gif

I smile every time I hear it, brilliant, I'd rate it right up there with Road King and Monster. grin.gif

I really wanted a Ruckus when they came out... still do. It's like the SUV of minibike/scooters.

I really wanted a Ruckus when they came out... still do. It's like the SUV of minibike/scooters.

Gee, I thought they'd get good gas mileage.

It's like the SUV of minibike/scooters.

Exactly. The proper image for those who can't be seen riding a scooter. grin.gif

BTW, I like them and am considering trying a little Ruckus to see if there might be a big Ruckus in my future. grin.gif

(honestly, no pun intended Les).

i recently swithced to a scooter: suzuki 650 burgman exec with electronically adjustable windscreen, ABS, CVT transmission, . Added corbin seat, and givi hard saddlebags and tail trunk, satellite radio, heated grips. It actually has more carrying capacity than a wing, volume wise. Great in town, does up to 85 mph just fine on the highway, great uderseat storage. Scooters aint what they used to be.

i recently swithced to a scooter: suzuki 650 burgman exec with electronically adjustable windscreen, ABS, CVT transmission, . Added corbin seat, and givi hard saddlebags and tail trunk, satellite radio, heated grips. It actually has more carrying capacity than a wing, volume wise. Great in town, does up to 85 mph just fine on the highway, great uderseat storage.

And its final drive is incredibly durable.

Archived