IGNORED

Why does my bike stink?

jaytee

Nearly every time that I come to a stop in my garage and turn off the bike it stinks. Kinda like burnt brake lining...

Is this the smell of the clutch on the R1200ST?

JT

Any chance it could be brake lining? Perhaps accidentally resting your foot on the rear brake pedal? A quick check would be after you ride to lightly touch the back caliper. If it's HOT, that could be the culprit.

I think R bikes have a unique smell when stopped. I'm not sure what causes this. It could be a combination of the brakes and dry clutch, or something related to the air/oil cooling and high cylinder head temps.

My R1150R and now my R1200RT, have a unique smell that my japanesse bikes didn't have. Must be a German thing.

If its and consolation, my 1200RT stinks when it’s parked up in the garage after a run. I thought it might be residual gasses from the catalytic converter, but really I have no idea.

Do a quick look see under neath the trans/engine connection for any fluid residue.

A couple Hexheads have had the trans seal begin to leak. If it drops to the header/cat it could smell as you describe.

More than likely, I would say it is what Ken is talking about.

My ST STinks, too. tongue.gif

I've had leaking engine seals and I'm currently working on a clutch slave cylinder leak. I didn't notice the odor with the engine seals, but it became distinct about the time I noticed the clutch slave cylinder was weeping. Look at the back of your engine for signs of leaking, feel for oil on the back of the engine case. I have noticed the mineral oil from the clutch slave cylinder will eventually migrate and (doesn't leak enough to do this regularly) then drip onto the exhaust. Until I know for certain the condition of the clutch hydraulics, I'm associating the smell with the leaking oil on the exhaust. It could have also migrated onto the clutch plates, but at this point, this is pure speculation on my part.

Do you have a steep driveway or have to navigate any obstacles or have anything else that might cause you to slip the clutch a little more than usual just before arriving home?

Ok, I feel better! Whew!

No leaking anywhere, dry as a bone. Nothing wedged against the exhaust - but good idea.

I do have a rolled curb and a little uphill to get into my driveway, which almsot always means slipping the clutch a little to get over the curb, and into the garage.

Good to know its nothing serious.

JT

Archived