IGNORED

Failure to start on R1200ST

jaytee

I think it was stubblejumper that commented on his new R1200ST failing to start a couple of times. The BB concluded that perhaps it was the side-stand switch, and he agreed that perhaps it was.

Well, I am not so sure now. I have had my new (to me) R1200ST fail to start on me 3 times. Every time the side stand was up, and every time the clutch was pulled in. Twice the bike was in N, once it was in 1st.

All three times I was able to get the bike started by turning off the key, then turning it back on again. Its almost as if something is faulting in the computer and needs to be reset in order to start the bike.

Its very possible that I am just doing something else wrong that I am unaware of. Any ideas?

JT

Here is another possibility:

If you pull in the clutch and then turn on the key your bike will not start. Instead, turn the key on, let the bike cycle through the self check and then pull in your clutch to start the bike.

If you pull in the clutch and then turn on the key your bike will not start. Instead, turn the key on, let the bike cycle through the self check and then pull in your clutch to start the bike.

Winner winner chicken dinner!

Same goes with operating the brakes. The control module won't "see" them if you turn on with the brakes applied.

Bingo! If you put the bike in neutral, it should start at that point without recycling it with the key. I encounter this from time to time by absent mindedly pulling in the clutch before the bike has gone through its diagnostics. wave.gif

"I see!" said the blind man to the deaf woman as he stuck his peg-leg out the window, "It's starting to rain!"

I'm certain some combination here is what I am doing. I frequently pull in the clutch, even in neutral, jsut to make sure I am nto trying to start in gear. Habit, I guess.

JT

Winner winner chicken dinner!

Same goes with operating the brakes. The control module won't "see" them if you turn on with the brakes applied.

How are we supposed to remember all of this. James Bond would probably be confused

It's simple.

Turn the key on just before you put your gloves on.

Problem solved as you won't be grabbing the brake or clutch. It also gives the bike time to run through it's diagnostic (or whatever) startup check.

THEN you can get Michelle Yeoh (or any other suitably attractive female who happens to be hand-cuffed to you) to hop on the bike so you can out-run the bad guys.

I found that leaving the key on too long before starting will prevent it from starting. If mine won't start, I turn the ignition off then back on and let the bike go through the boot routine again.

I have had the key on too long thing once or twice-no error on display. The re-pull of the clutch works the other times with bike in gear. I think maybe my hand is a little lazy and I didn't pull the lever all the way to the grip. OE!!!!!(operator eroor) dopeslap.gif

The only issue I have had starting is when I pulled the clutch in before I turn on the key. I just let out the clutch and pull it back in again.

I have found you do not have to wait for the display to initialize. I can pull the clutch right after the key is turned on and it starts just fine.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, talked to a dealer a couple weeks ago about this....

He said (and I paraphrase) that this problem is often reported by thsoe who use either the side-stand or the cut-off switch to turn the bike off. Apparently (his theory) is that the computer doesnt always reset itself properly when either of those methods are used and occasionalyl has to be turned off and then on again to reset.

His suggestion was to use only the key to turn the bike off and to turn it on before getting on the bike at all.

I followed his suggestion during my trip up north and in the week following and I can annecdotaly report that it has eliminated this problem completely.

In short, use your key.

Easy enough fix.

JT

Ok, talked to a dealer a couple weeks ago about this....

He said (and I paraphrase) that this problem is often reported by thsoe who use either the side-stand or the cut-off switch to turn the bike off. Apparently (his theory) is that the computer doesnt always reset itself properly when either of those methods are used and occasionalyl has to be turned off and then on again to reset.

His suggestion was to use only the key to turn the bike off and to turn it on before getting on the bike at all.

I followed his suggestion during my trip up north and in the week following and I can annecdotaly report that it has eliminated this problem completely.

In short, use your key.

Easy enough fix.

JT

I don't buy it. The side stand switch simply tells the ZFE module to send a command to the BMS-K module to shut down the engine. Just like the key, the emergency stop switch, the clutch switch and the neutral switch do.

My, also anecdotal, evidence would say there's nothing to the theory as that's the only way I've been shutting down my bikes for years.

I don't buy it. The side stand switch simply tells the ZFE module to send a command to the BMS-K module to shut down the engine. Just like the key, the emergency stop switch, the clutch switch and the neutral switch do.

My, also anecdotal, evidence would say there's nothing to the theory as that's the only way I've been shutting down my bikes for years.

You could very well be right. I only have about 20 times of on/off since I started using the key (I always used the cut-off switch - a habit from msf). All I know is that using the cut off switch about every 5/10 times I could not get the starter to turn over even with the clutch in/out again and the side stand up and even in neutral.

Hence to me, the problem is certainly greatly reduced by using only the key.

None of the explanations make 100% sense to me, and I doubt anyone really knows definitively. But the bike *definatly* has a gremelin in it somewhere that occasionally wouldnt let it start. Very odd.

JT

Archived