IGNORED

Looking for the right bike

ChrisRappl

I could use the collective wisdom of this forum to help direct me in the right direction to find the right bike for me. I presently have an R90S, an X-9 scooter and a tiny little Typhoon. In recent years I have had an R1100R, R1100RT, R1150RT and most recently an R1200RT. I spent almost two years modifying my 2006 BMW R1200RT with lowered suspension, Russell seat, ... and never got to the point where I felt comfortable riding it. After 12,000 miles I sold it and am now searching for a high quality bike with character that fits me and is fun to ride. I do take weekend and longer trips so some wind protection and luggage options are important. The biggest problem that I had with the R1200RT is that it was too heavy for me and the acceleration and braking didn't seem linear. It was more work than fun. I like a bike to be intuitive enough that all I have to do is think about where I want to go and it goes there. Don't get me wrong, I think the R1200RT is a fantastic machine and I tried to make it the perfect bike for me, but at 155lbs with a 29" inseam it was just too big for me. I did throw a leg over the KTM Super Duke and then came to my senses. If I could flat foot a GS or a KTM Adventure I would seriously consider either one. So. Any ideas where I should go from here?

Thanks

Thanks for the reply. I sat on both the S and the ST. Both are too sporty for me. I don't like to lean too far forward. And both are a little tall for me. My preference is the upright position of a standard with my knees touching the tank for control. I will try the F800GS when they arrive, but, I'm pretty sure that it will be too tall for me also. I have lowered a few bikes in the past, but, I'd prefer to keep the factoy designed steering angles and clearances if at all possible.

If you get the chance, try a Triumph Bonneville. The Hinckley triumphs sound like the style you are looking for, a standard with adequate power but not too sporting.

Andy

Thanks for the replies. I did test ride a T-100. It was OK but didn't have the character or soul that I am looking for. I was pretty happy with my R1100R, so, maybe a test ride of the R1200R would be in order. Frankly the K bikes scare me as being too big and powerful, but, I have never ridden one. How do they carry their weight? Do they feel top heavy at low speed? I think that I was originally drawn to the boxers because they were air cooled and simple, but the oilheads changed that and the hexheads are at the point where I can only do some of the maintenance myself. Luckily I have a great dealer and I trust them with the brake maintenance and the diagnostics. Maybe next Saturday I will try out the R1200R and one of the K bikes.

Hi Chris

How is it going? I know you had issues with the 1200RT with height, weight, etc. BTW I am 5'7", 30" inseam. Congrats on your bike sale by the way. I would throw a leg over the FJR1300. About 6 weeks ago I was at a Kawi/Yamaha/Honda dealership. There they sat side by side, FJR1300, ST1300, and the new Concours 14. After sitting on each one for 5 or more minutes which I know is not long the FJR1300 fit me the best in terms of ergo's, height (feet on the floor), weight, and comfort. I rode an 04 FJR about 3 years ago for 200 miles one day and it is quite a nice bike. Do yourself a favor and check it out. The FJR also had the most room in the saddle bags vs. the ST or the Concours 14. Send Whip or EffBee a PM and ask them about their FJR1300's.

Chris,

If you can wait till next year, the triumph tiger is said to be coming out with the 675 powerplant. Character of a triple, good styling and upright ergos. All the indicators are it should be a winner w/about 105 horses or so.

I had a VSTROM 650 and loved it. I got my 04 650 w/8800 miles on it for $4500 and then put about 800 in tires, windshield, chain/sprokets, bags and heated grips. It was great bike and I wish I hadn't sold it. The 650 is about .5" shorter than the 1000, and you can lower them another 1.5" easily for about $40.

Food for thought.

Triumph 1050 Sprint? Great power, wonderful handling and set up for touring albeit in a lesser form than the R1200RT...

The engine has a wonderful triple howl, it has bags of torque and yet can be ridden with spirit if the mood takes you.

Linz

Triumph 1050 Sprint? Great power, wonderful handling and set up for touring albeit in a lesser form than the R1200RT...

The engine has a wonderful triple howl, it has bags of torque and yet can be ridden with spirit if the mood takes you.

Linz

nOW yOU'RE tALKIN'..!!

The Sprint STA or the Triumph Thruxton...dynamite looks - great brakes and decent power.

A&S in Roseville Ca., had a 1200GS that had been lowered 2 inches, and was new. Fantastic. Fit me like a glove and I sold my R1100Rt for the same reason as you. One month ago they also had a used lowered R1150RT and that was OK also, but I have to tell you the GS was just right. If that dealership can do it, yours can also. I belive they said the shocks came from Progressive, but I can't be sure. Call either Joe or Ted at 800-689 9893 and ask them, as they are both very nice. As usual, I have no interest in this whatsoever, just as a very satisfied client of theirs.

Thanks for the replies. I did not test ride anything this week. I did manage to visit a few shops and throw a leg over a bunch of bikes. The KTM Adventure might be a candidate if it could be lowered so as not to affect handling. The Concours 14, FJR 1300, Norge, ST-3 all seem too tall and/or heavy for me. I seem to almost fit on the Monsters and the MV Agusta's (don't remember the model designations). I tried mid-weights: sv-650, wee-strom, Versys, and a couple of Hondas with no luck. It's kind of fun to ride from shop to shop and look at bikes. I will go back to Capitol BMW/Triumph/Vespa and take a good hard look and a few test rides. If I don't find anything, I might wait for the F800GS (short version?). Oliver (The General Manager) has aked his Service Manager to lower an R1200GS and get it out on the floor for me to test ride. I'm open to trying it out, but am concerned that it will still be too big and heavy even if lowered. I am looking for a quality bike with character that fits me and is fun to ride. I do need some wind protection and luggage capabilities. I wonder how a Burgman 650 would feel? Could it be that I am really a Scooter kind of guy?

Could it be that I am really a Scooter kind of guy?

Well, Gilera are bringing out a GP800 with a 72BHP 800cc V-twin!

The new F800GS will be out next year. hopefully BMW will release a lowered version at the same time.

You've had an R1100R. A used R1150R or a new 1200R would be hard to beat. Good all around bike, as you probably recall. Almost like having a GS, but not so tall. I haven't ridden the 1200R yet, but I can't imagine it being enough better to justify the expense of trading in my 2004 (dual spark) 1150R. As you know, there is a good R-bike community and forum at http://r1150r.net/.

After 12,000 miles I sold it and am now searching for a high quality bike with character that fits me and is fun to ride. I do take weekend and longer trips so some wind protection and luggage options are important. The biggest problem that I had with the R1200RT is that it was too heavy for me and the acceleration and braking didn't seem linear. It was more work than fun. I like a bike to be intuitive enough that all I have to do is think about where I want to go and it goes there. Don't get me wrong, I think the R1200RT is a fantastic machine and I tried to make it the perfect bike for me, but at 155lbs with a 29" inseam it was just too big for me.

061123003.jpg

8338-350x350.jpg

The Buell XB12Scg

Archived