IGNORED

Location...John Day vs Packwood, vs ??

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

So where should we have this little rally? Initially when I approached Leslie I was excited about the Hells Canyon Area. However, despite the fantastic roads in the area I don't think there is a sutable UN location. The nicest little towns are all land-locked.

Kent suggested John Day: Great riding and a town that is used to bikers. Embraces us from what I’ve heard. I know that the area is wonderful from the road-going side but don’t know much about the off-road aspect of things. http://www.cityofjohnday.com/

Steve Reinig and Bill Rathbone have suggested Packwood: I think Packwood has promise. It’s a gateway to both St Helens and Rainier. Good GS and tougher off-road stuff. The other thing that I like about it is that it’s not known quantity, meaning we wouldn’t have to measure up to a rally that has been held for the past 31+ years. http://www.destinationpackwood.com/lodging.cfm

Looking at a map for other options puts us in mid-Oregon…Redmond, Bend, Sweethome, Oakridge, Sunriver?

Discussion?

I'm for John Day.

First, we don't have to "measure up" to anything. We only have to create a place to get together and enjoy each other. There are no booths or entertainment to arrange. No organized rides. No NOTHIN', Steve. We don't have to create activities to entertain these hoons. Give Hannabone a beer and there's enough entertainment for a weekend!

If you build it they will come.

There's lots of folks in JD that can set up a pancake breakfast in a jiffy. Main thing will be finding a free weekend to do it. And therefor, the decision needs to be made PRONTO!

As for laser. I shudder to think of an UN-rally in Washington. (And I should know!) Police enforcement in the John Day area is just about nil. I've never even SEEN a LEO there. Aside from JD having superior roads.

As for the off-road aspect, I'd suggest getting in touch with the BMW Riders of Oregon.

Well put Doc.

Of more consequence than following Chief Joseph,, is whether the spot has the accomodations we need. The best socializing happens when camping and hotel/s are very close together, i.e. walking or crawling distance. If you have a place that's accustomed to rallies then on site catering (as in Cody), pancake breakfasts etc. could be a big plus. The two biggies to consider are great riding (low enforcement is a plus) and great hang out place/time.

John Day would definitely be a good place. Here is a link with some already done the work info from the lastr Chief Joseph Rally.

LINKY

How about Grangeville, ID? You've got Hells Canyon and Nez Perce nearby.

The other nice thing about John Day is the Fossil Beds, and 4 Museums. That's nice for spouses/families who may want some non riding activities.

The other nice thing about John Day is the Fossil Beds, and 4 Museums. That's nice for spouses/families who may want some non riding activities.

Agreed. Here's some Grangeville info. LINKY

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs
While not trying to be argumentative, how many families actually attend? Hopefully Reinig and Rathbone will chime in here about Packwood.

No biggie-just one other thing to take into consideration. Riding, camping/lodging, and ease of eating and socializing together are the top priorities.

While not trying to be argumentative, how many families actually attend? Hopefully Reinig and Rathbone will chime in here about Packwood.

I think you're arguing!!

John Day. Everything is within short walking distance.

Here are the dates they are available: (I checked on Fri-Sat-Sun openings, not other combinations)

July 11-13

Aug Labor Day weekend

Sept. 5-7

12-14

One thing to consider about John Day is that I beleive the rally is held a county fairgrounds which I believe requires a legal entity to sign a contract. As far as I know this board is not a legal entity. I could be wrong on either.

Many folks on the west coast will have already attended John Day in June....

And Steve foregot to mention all the great roads and GS riding on Mount Adams as well as quick access to the Pacific Ocean and Olympic National Park. Just soemthing else to consider

Correct. The board is not a legal entity. We're not in a position to sign a legal contract or accept liability, etc.

Doc--Just an FYI-- Traditionally we've held the Un on weekdays. Taht way peopls can fold a weekend into their travel time without costing most people time off of work.

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs
John Day. Everything is within short walking distance.

Here are the dates they are available: (I checked on Fri-Sat-Sun openings, not other combinations)

July 11-13

Aug Labor Day weekend

Sept. 5-7

12-14

I had a different Dates? thread started, but it doesn't matter. Have a look at July 29 - August 1. I really want to have this late June to mid August to accommodate teachers and so forth.

It looks like Packwood has An RV park/campground and motels nearby. Campground address in 12985 HWY 12 and close lodging addresses are 13069, 13000 and 13032.

Is enforcement a problem in the area?

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs
It looks like Packwood has An RV park/campground and motels nearby. Campground address in 12985 HWY 12 and close lodging addresses are 13069, 13000 and 13032.

Is enforcement a problem in the area?

You could walk one end to the other in about 15 minutes probably. Enforcement isn't necessarily a problem...I regularly went waaaay over the posted limit with no problems. I just wanted to take everything into account. I know that part of the thrill sometimes is taking a corner however fast you want to, without legal consequence, so I thought to bring it up.

John Day is certainly more remote than the WA volcano district and as such tourists would be fewer.

For the GS side of things, I know that wonderful roads and trails exist near Packwood. I'll have to do more investigating about OR. Hells Canyon is a few hours away and does offer some dirt roads, but nothing very challenging.

To answer the question about enforcement. Yes on Hwy 12 and in Rainier National Park. Never seen a ranger stop anyone in St Helens. County sherriffs around Mt Adams. This past summer I have noticed a marked increase in Oregon of the State Patrol types. We were in John Day in March and they were out on 395 and 26.

I recall Packwood having a number of motels though it would have to be scouted to ensure the exact number of rooms potentially available.

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

I've been calling around to some of the Packwood motels, the bigger ones anyway. It seems that there are at least 2 weddings and 1 reunion round about the same time I'm proposing for the Un, July 29-Aug 1. I think the area would be a fantastic place to have an Un, but it seems that if I'm intending to stay at this time frame, THIS year might not be so good.

I know that a decision has to be made soon, or else it will be made for us (as in not being available). I've appealed to Steve Walker, gottabmw, and owner of the http://oregonmotorcyclist.com/ website. He thinks that the Powers, OR is perfect for the riding aspect. Unfortunately there is nothing there for amenities. I can hear that Doc and Kent might be screaming (in a good way) JOHN DAY!

What about something Corvallis? Coquille? Cottage Grove? Sunriver?

Steve, the only reason I threw the dates in here was because it might be a make-or-break deal with John Day. If none of those dates are acceptable then it rules out JD.

How many people would be likely to attend?

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs
Steve, the only reason I threw the dates in here was because it might be a make-or-break deal with John Day. If none of those dates are acceptable then it rules out JD.

How many people would be likely to attend?

An UnRally usually generates about 150 people, + or - a few dozen. It sounds like JD is only available on the weekends? Please explain. My initial thought is that, like Packwood, JD (and most other cities) have bookings on the weekends in the summer. I'd have thought that the weekdays would be free(er).

Can you point me to the calendar you're looking at? I'm not opposed to scheduling the Un on a weekend, in fact it might make it more available to people. The original thought is that the casual weekenders would be off of the roads on a weekday.

Thanks David. smile.gif

I have suggested Packwood for the following reasons:

1. Weather. Nearly Ideal. During the summer one can expect warm days and coolish nights except for a warm spell lasting at most 10 days. However, if a system is making its way across the Cascades I will rain in Packwood.

2. Riding. Ideal for all the reasons discussed. Lots of good short, medium and long distance loops.

3. Large private campground. Most state, municipal and quasi municipal organizations (fairgrounds and non-profits) will require at least $1,000,000 in libality insurance. Difficult for an unrally by an unorganization. A private campground just needs our money.

Really good location. Scenic, good roads not too far from I-5 and I-90 but not too close either.

Motels. Packwood has one fairly large motel and several smaller ones.

Enforcement. WSP is out there, anywhere in Washington. But there is usually only one in this area on any given shift. Once sited you can then wick things up. The county usually leaves you alone unless you are doing something stupid.

Catering: Not sure.

Dates: No Idea at this point. Obviously it would be good to work it around the MOA.

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs
Packwood looks good from a logistics standpoint. Would it be possible to go before the National if the dates after are busy there?
Theoretically, I have other things to do during the day...not all of us are members of the leisure class. lmao.gif

I did send a mail to the person responsible for scheduling the fairgrounds at John Day. I know we need to move on a decision but I want to wait a day or so to see if I get a response back. I'll also put a call out to the hotel/RV park in Packwood to see if they have anything big scheduled for July 8-11.

Part of the date dilemma is that TOR is scheduled either a week before or after MOA. For the moment it is being reported by one of the members as the week following but that's not conclusive.

Do we have any insiders for the CO BMW club? It'd be great to get the real dates from the club officers so we don't (a) end up competing or (b) have an empty week between TOR/MOA and the Un.

• 2 weeks later...
Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

I spoke with a very kind woman at the Grant County Fairgrounds who has the ability to waive the insurance requirements and any legal contracts. The only agreement necessary to sign is a letter of intent; which I said I would.

The way that we get around the insurance requirement is if we have GCF handle the catering aspects for us. Sounds good to me! They also offered a facility to use as headquarters, a dining hall at the campground that can hold all of us and a beer garden, should we choose to use it. One the one hand not getting involved with alcohol is a good thing. On the other hand, alot of people enjoy socializing with a cold, frothy beverage and their friends. Maybe one evening with beer isn't bad; maybe with dinner?

So I'm waffling back to the John Day location. I think the the remote nature of John Day suits the Un better. Wade has commented that John Day makes for better walking around. Doc commented that the town is used to bikers. Pat, Wade, Doc and Kent have all made their John Day preferences known. Incredulous though it may be, I have never gone to the Chief Joseph Rally, so I'll rely on the wisdom of others.

The timing is still great for the John Day folks.

Given this new information, and trying to make the best decision for the overall health and happiness of the group, I vote to hold the Un at John Day, Oregon. Also, given my vote I'm not going to make the field trip to Packwood tomorrow.

Sound good to all y'all?

Firefight911

All very valid points. My local BMW motorcycle club makes an annual pilgrimage to the Chief Joseph and have always come back with rave reviews of the facilities, area, and roads to/from John Day.

It certainly does appear that GCF wants to work with us and accommodate us as best they can. That goes a long way to alleviating some major headaches. Their experience with the motorcycle sect is an added bonus.

I know that the proximity of the camping, fairgrounds, and hotels is all very good as well.

Only aspect I am not too sure of would be the availability of GS roads. I can ask one of our GS guys who has ridden that area about these.

Oh, and it's a day ride away (~600 miles) from me so I can ride out if needed.

My $.02.

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs
Only aspect I am not too sure of would be the availability of GS roads. I can ask one of our GS guys who has ridden that area about these.

A few weeks ago I posted the question over at ADVrider:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=269799

I think we'll be good on all types of roads. And, I just got a 2610 GPS, so when properly scouted I can post tracks.

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs
It sounds very good! It's within reach of great riding. Do you have any idea of cost per attendee yet?
Not at all. Two meals (am & pm) should be under $25...add $12-15 for a nice tee...$9 for stickers and admin oversight ("wait, what about XX?") and you get $49. Lodging is not included but tent camping should be under $15 a night. Unknown about motels.
Four recorded deaths is pretty funny.

Maybe we can get a picture of the dude and use it in a theme for the event....he sounds like quite a character and he came from the Virginia area.....where the UN just left.

hmmmmmmmmm................

I have mostly been there for the Chief Joesph Rally and have camped at the fairgrounds. Nice facility, nice town great riding. I do not remember a large inventory of motel rooms and the restaurant selection is slim.

It is in a location that might be more central to connecting with the MOA rally. As for GS roads I cannot comment. I generally do not treat my RT like a GS. The area is likely to be dry and forest service roads, if there are any, might be closed.

Overall the riding opportunities are great. 395 north of John Day is fantastic with opportunities to do a couple of good day trip loops. I have done these in the past at condiderable speed with no LEO's in sight. They do patrol the town carefully during the Rally.

If we are happy with the restraunt and motel inventory it is a go for this RT rider.

Greetings folks. I just joined this "august" group and will belatedly add my 2 cents worth. wave.gif

Sounds like you have lots of the headache issues worked out for John Day. I really love riding the roads around there and there also seemed to be plenty of GS roads - Julie and I nearly got lost on some of them a few years back at a Chief Joseph rally. There aren't a lot of hotels but all are within walking distance. The Chief Joseph Rally is an annual event and I believe that last year there were over 500 in attendance. So the area can handle an unrally.

That being said, I don't think that people from outside the Pacific Northwest can really experience the PNW until they have experienced the volcanoes. To me, Mt. Rainier and Mt. St. Helens are the signature landmarks of the PNW.

I suggest that the unrally be at John Day for all the reasons stated so far, but make a strong recommendation that people include Mt Rainier/Mt St Helens in their "getting there" or leaving there" routes. We could come up with some great route suggestions to provide people.

Heck, then we could also provide suggestions back toward the east. Like the longest unmaintained dirt road in the US, the Magruder Corridor; and for those on roads, Lolo Pass.

OK, I probably used up more than 2 cents worth of paper, but there you have my thoughts. lurker.gif

Rod

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

Alright, so 10 people have weighed in out of the 13 in the group (including Mama Hoon) for a Yea vote on John Day. The majority carries the day. It's decided. Thanks for hanging with me for the duration of this seemingly arduous process (to me anyway) of picking the right venue for our little picnic.

I'll reach out to my venue contact and let her know that it has been decided. She promised to get me more details next week, but I'm confident that we can work out the small things as we go. At this point, the date is nearly set and the location IS set, so everything else is small by comparison.

I'll report back when I have heard from the fairgrounds.

Thanks. smile.gif

I'm going to release a morsel to the public of the location, something like, in Oregon, east of I5, north of Burns, south of the Columbia.

Steve_Reinig

Agree with Bill and Rod. Though to pick up on something Rod said perhaps we could put together a compendium or our best WA state on and off road rides. Thanks for your leadership Steve. BTW I am thoroughly enjoying my refurbished 2610. I am going to search for that elusive road from last years Trollhaugen!!!

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

So I posted a tidbit more info about location in the public forum.

Already I'm getting private messages telling me "That's a pity, any place within those boundaries and below 5000ft is going to be too hot in July."

Can't please all the people all of the time I guess. I stand firm in my resolve that John Day will be a fantastic UnRally.

John Day would be my first choice by a long shot. It's a short ride to my daughter in Bend, but most of all I can picture the rally there as I have had sooo many favorite memories sitting around the tent ghetto with A Red Bill, Mr Yuk, Steve Kolseth, Bigmak, and of course the random word generator...

grin.gifgrin.gifwave.gifthumbsup.gif

Wow, I'm getting emoticonal!

If my fam comes with me to visit my daughter, I will be able to bring Seth to the Un. That would be amazing!

Already I'm getting private messages telling me "That's a pity, any place within those boundaries and below 5000ft is going to be too hot in July."

Sure it will be hot. Be sure to tell them that it is a "dry heat," lmao.gif once you tell them where it is.

Rod

John Day would be my first choice by a long shot. It's a short ride to my daughter in Bend, but most of all I can picture the rally there as I have had sooo many favorite memories sitting around the tent ghetto with A Red Bill, Mr Yuk, Steve Kolseth, Bigmak, and of course the random word generator...

grin.gifgrin.gifwave.gifthumbsup.gif

Wow, I'm getting emoticonal!

If my fam comes with me to visit my daughter, I will be able to bring Seth to the Un. That would be amazing!

Yes, that would be amazingly good! thumbsup.gif

Rod

So I posted a tidbit more info about location in the public forum.

Can't please all the people all of the time I guess. I stand firm in my resolve that John Day will be a fantastic UnRally.

It looks like the decision has already been made (again? wink.gif ), but here's more fuel for the fire (so to speak):

Packwood, WA, elev. 1050'

Weather Underground weather stations nearby:

Ashford, WA, elev. 1800' High in July of this year: 93*F, av. daytime highs: 75*F, av. hum.: 70%

Mineral, WA, elev. 1455' High in July of this year: 94*F, av. daytime highs: 75*F, av. hum.: 67%

John Day, OR, elev. 3084'

Weather Underground weather stations nearby:

Prairie City, OR, elev. 3565' High in July of this year: 113.5*F (95*F in mid June this year for Ch. Joseph Rally), av. daytime highs: 93*F (75*F in mid June this year), av. hum.: 44%

Seneca, OR, elev. 4669' High in July of this year: 101*F (89*F in mid June this year), av. daytime highs: 88*F (70*F in mid June this year)

So it's obvious why the Chief Joseph Rally in John Day, OR is in June and not July. It will be a dry heat, but it will likely be hot. Packwood, WA could be on average 15-20*F cooler, but that is only one factor. Perhaps the cat is already out of the bag--sorry I'm so late with this if it makes a difference at all. dopeslap.gif

BTW, for those of us who were in Spokane in late July, 2004 (elevation 2281'): grin.gif

High in July of 2004: 97*F, average daytime highs: 90*F, av. hum.: 44%

Good info, Whip! That's a great site for Event Planning!

. . . anything can happen.
Yes, but what's nine degrees on average between friends? grin.gif

Besides, your data showed a larger historical average, whereas the one I posted was just last year's figures--don't forget about Global Warming! It's only going to get hotter from here on out! lmao.gif

Good info, Whip! That's a great site for Event Planning!

. . . anything can happen.
Yes, but what's nine degrees on average between friends? grin.gif

The record highs were closer.....

Besides, your data showed a larger historical average, whereas the one I posted was just last year's figures--don't forget about Global Warming! It's only going to get hotter from here on out! lmao.gif

I'm countin on it for DVD.......it didn't work out for Torrey.....brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!

thumbsup.gif

Yer doin' good there Steve........ thumbsup.gif

PS.....too bad you couldn't make it over to RMC the other day....that #2 Sampler plate was just aaaaaaaawwwwwweeeeeessssooooooommme!!! tongue.gif

Pat

113 is really wierd for Central Oregon. It can be downright cold. My first fourth of July (1999) was 39F watching the fireworks in winter clothes at 10 PM in the wind. If it's hot there it's usually hot everywhere else.

I'm game for Packwood, too, but my first choice is still John Day.

I know the globe is warming, but back in the mid 1800s before the Civil War, Ulysses Grant was chasing Shoshones thru central Oregon in a snow storm in July. YMMV

Archived