IGNORED

bypass screw adjustment

bigbandit

Just had a question about adjustment of the throttle body brass screws.My bike runs better,more low end power with the screws out further.My screws were out about 1 turn each,i increased them to 1.5 turns and did the synch.The bike runs better,even shifts better with them out further.I may have lost a little fuel economy with them out further, cool.gif maybe a mile per gallon.Reading one of the syncronization step by steps,it says to have the screws out as little as possible to achieve syncronization.Should i turn them back in or leave them out?Thanks for all replys. John

Reading one of the syncronization step by steps,it says to have the screws out as little as possible to achieve syncronization.
Not sure where you saw that as most all procedures, including the BMW one, say to start with them 1 to 1.5 turns out each. The caution is to have the difference between them as little as possible.
Just had a question about adjustment of the throttle body brass screws.My bike runs better,more low end power with the screws out further.My screws were out about 1 turn each,i increased them to 1.5 turns and did the synch.The bike runs better,even shifts better with them out further.I may have lost a little fuel economy with them out further, cool.gif maybe a mile per gallon.Reading one of the syncronization step by steps,it says to have the screws out as little as possible to achieve syncronization.Should i turn them back in or leave them out?Thanks for all replys. John

John, what year, model, & country bike are you working with?. That makes a difference on how the air by-pass screws effect the operation..

Twisty

The screws (Air Bypass) have little bearing after idle....cable sync is the key

Tomas

Sorry, but I beg to differ a bit. While they are primarily an idle adjustment, the definitely do effect sync at all RPMs.

Try it some time. With a sensitive sync measuring tool connected, hold a steady above idle RPM, say 3K or something, then twist on one of the LBS. You'll be surprised how much it affects the balance.

Hi Twisty, my bike is a 98rt.I thought i lost fuel mileage after turning out the by pass screws,but i think i gained mileage.My digital bars are dropping off quickly,but distance to low fuel light has increased.I think i bumped a harness when i had the fairings off.My last tank figured out over 53 mpg,combination city and hwy.The screws were out 1 turn,i increased them to 1.5 turns,then synched the throttle bodies.Lot more low end power and shifts better also. Thanks for the help

John smile.gif

Archived