IGNORED

XM Antenna Mounting Question

Mike05

Anyone know if you can mount a (Garmin) Xm Antenna under the Tupperware (R1200RT)??

Currently atop a brake reservoir in the open & works fine. The issue is, disconnecting it from behind the Zuno 550 whenever I park the bike out of site for a few hours.

If it'll work, would rather mount "permanently" under the plastic.

It may work but you should test it first. The XM signal is a pretty weak signal and any mass can attenuate it. Theoretically, the plastic is "transpearent" but like any ray dome, there is a small amount of attenuation.

I have my XM antenna mounted under the right fairing cover on my R12ST. No issues other than a periodic signal loss during right hand, "high" lean angles when that side of the bike is pointed more North than South.

Wow!! Just reread that. I need to get out more! tongue.gif

I assume the XM antenna is about as sensitive or non-sensitive as the SIRIUS antenna which I mounted under the upper dash panel of my 1150RT. Works fine regardless of which direction I'm riding.

HD mounts the XM antenna inside the front fairing of its touring bikes. I've had it in two places. My experience is to keep it away from any metal, more in the open inside the plastic is better than right up agains metal. The metal in the right situations will hurt the signal.

Archived