IGNORED

Dates?

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

It might be wise to schedule things in July, so that the higher routes will be free of snow. I'm speaking primarily about the GS routes, but if we go with anything Packwood as a base, there still could be snow around Paradise I suppose.

The MOA is July 17-20.

TOR in Colorado is probably July 24-27 (but not yet confirmed).

The Un could follow as July 29 - Aug 1. Past UNs have been either 3 days or 4.

If TOR ends on the 27th, folks could get to PNW in 2-3 days and still not take the interstate...much. I'll send an email to someone at the CO BMW club asking about TOR.

Comments?

Combining Rallies worked well for Cody. We had many people who caught Spokane TOR and the Un. If people can grab tyhe vacation days, they don't have to choose between rallies. It's less likely that people will do all three, traveling from Gillette to Paonia and then back up to the PNW but we have a good sized crew here that does TOR regularly. They'd likely appreciate the date coordination.

It is a very hot time to travel but a good time for some people who work in education or have kids in school.

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

Someone mentioned that the TOR dates are either before or after MOA. I want to make sure that everything is thawed and that folks have a choice. I guess we could go before the MOA. I don't want to go around the dates of Chief Joseph in mid-June. Especially if we settle on a western WA location, snow is a definite possibility in mid-June.

I like the idea of timing around TOR.

I would put out there that the 30th til the 2nd might work out well.

This allows plenty of travel time and reduced pressure to get somewhere or miss something.

I think the idea of having it in while school is it works well for a lot of those who maybe haven't been able to make it previously. That being said, we should strive to have it complete prior to Aug. 17.

My twopence.

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs
I would put out there that the 30th til the 2nd might work out well.
I'd still like to keep to the intent of the original Un, where we schedule it on weekdays to avoid motorhomes/vacationers on weekends. This being a popular area, Rainier one of the more popular hiking areas and the weekends become a bigger problems.

If we want to do a 3-day event, 30th - 1st is good, allowing that the 29th will be an arrival day.

I'm talking if we do it in Packwood. Less of an issue if John Day.

• 2 weeks later...
Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

John Day hasn't been returning phone calls and the public message says that the RV grounds do not accept reservations, first-come first-serve only. I suppose they'd bend the rules for a group, but it is a county facility so we may be burdened by legislative process. I was looking forward to the area - never having been to the rally.

In any case, looking back at Packwood has us shifting the dates to find openings in Packwood's schedule. Tossed about in other threads are the dates of July 8-11.

I need all y'all to weigh in on the dates...8-10, 8-11, 9-11, 9-12?

I'm thinking 9-12 with reasoning as such:

-crowds will be less on the weekends

-arrive on the 8th, ride three days, depart on the 12th.

-arrive in Gillette by the 14-15th

I think we'll have a fantastic time but I want people to have the opportunity to take in other rallies. I also want there to be a good turn-out. Gillette and the MOA is about 1100 miles. 2-3 days travel for some. Maybe we shift by a day and do it July 9-12?

I really need folks to weigh in on this topic please. Moderators: I'd love your input too.

Firefight911

I like the 9th thru the 12th.

Allows flexibility of arriving early and late. People can work it in and around their work agendas and family plans.

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

Okay, I'm good with that, but I did start a poll in the visible-to-all UnRally forum. It's a double-blind survey because although I'm the author I can't even see the results!

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

Okay so the results of my public poll have come back revealing July 8-11 as the 55% preference. So that's what we'll go with then.

Can't - at least it's a lot harder for me with kids in school. Puts all that load on Jan to keep the house going while I fly across the country and ride for a week.

Fine, Phil! HAVE it in July. I'm still trying to catch up on hydration from the Spokane MOA Rally when, according to the National Weather Service, ambient temperature reached 1.3 zillion degrees. I personally watched Dances With Roads turn into a crinkle fry and BigMak (having the Body Mass Index of Dumbo's mom) ignited like a roman candle and had to be doused with gallons of cheap scotch.

I'll be in the river.

doc

I have lived on this side of the Cascades for 28 years now so I guess that makes me the resident expert. First, lets make one thing clear. The weather in Spokane during the MOA rally was MISERABLE, but highly unusual. The daytime temps. were about average and would have been tolerable if not for the high humidity. The cloud cover kept the heat in at night adding to the misery. The humidity and cloud cover was highly unusual, in fact, I cannot remember a similar episode either before the rally or since. Generally it is dry and very low humidity. While the temps. are likely to be in the 80's it is very tolerable and even enjoyable. As soon as the sun goes down the temps. will drop quickly. Good sleeping weather. As long a one makes reaonable accomodastions, good hydration etc. we should be just fine. John Day is very similar to Yakima in these regards.

The low humidity can make high and low tempratures more tolerable as well as other conditions. In fact it's raining here right now but it's a dry rain. Perfectly good riding weather. One could ride an RT all day without rain gear and except for gloves be dry and comfortable throughout the day.

I'm not concerned about temperatures and an episode of high humidity is possible but not bloody likely.

lmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif You guys are killing me. Of course it's all about me.

Dry rain. Gotta remember that one. I know exactly what you mean, though. The sprinkles that taunt you in the desert and they evaporate faster than they fall.

Remember, the high desert can get chilly every night. Up to 50 degree temp swings, but usually 25-30.

Enough of my bla bla, it's just about me and that's that! wave.gif

Enough of my bla bla, it's just about me and that's that!

Shut up, Frank! lmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

eek.giflmao.gifeek.giflmao.gif

That right there is funny!!!!! I totally had that in my mind just as Hot Lips would've said it!!! Nice!!!!

I see we have a winner onteh board, FINALLY, as to where we will be! thumbsup.gif

Sheesh, took'em long enough!!! crazy.giftongue.gif

Yeah, Bill! Right! I think that East-of-the-Mountains sun has been baking yer gourd for too many years. I've heard you even go out and bask on flat rocks in the sun like a horn-toad!

Dry rain.....Phoomph!

Alright, have it at John Day in Ju-freaking-ly. I'll spite you all by enjoying myself. grin.gif

Doc, you're right, my path to clairvoyance is a hot afternoon in the direct sun, lots of cheap tequila, and Pink Floyd cranked full on the Onkyo.

So the dates and location are determined, right?

Has the problem with signing the contract with the John Day folks been worked out? There was a question as to whether we had to be a "legal entity" to do so.

1. What's next?

2. When will the general announcement be?

3. Is there a way to simplify the UnRally (I almost typed UnRuly) 7 forum. There are currently no less than 11 strings...(enough for a zither!) Can we eliminate the ones that are no longer relevant?

4. Are we there yet?

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

So the dates and location are determined, right?

Yes, July 8-11. I'd imagine that lots of folks will arrive on the 7th.

Has the problem with signing the contract with the John Day folks been worked out? There was a question as to whether we had to be a "legal entity" to do so.

Yes it has been settled. From a different planning thread I wrote...I spoke with a very kind woman at the Grant County Fairgrounds who has the ability to waive the insurance requirements and any legal contracts. The only agreement necessary to sign is a letter of intent; which I said I would. The way that we get around the insurance requirement is if we have GCF handle the catering aspects for us.

And you can review the agreement HERE.

What's next?

The fairgrounds are talking to the local motels to get pricing for us. After that has been determined we can make the official proclamation to the group. I'll write it and submit it to the planning group for edits before it goes live. The UnRally fee will not be announced at that point, just general ideas, dates, specific location and lodging ordering info.

When will the general announcement be?

Certainly by the end of October. Hopefully sooner. As soon as I get pricing I can write something up.

Is there a way to simplify the UnRally forum...Can we eliminate the ones that are no longer relevant?

Leslie can "sticky" the ones that are important, like the announcement. After that, the older posts will just filter to the bottom of the page like normal.

Okay, so after visiting the public UnRally forum, I see that you're speaking about the UnPlanning forum. I think it's important to keep all of these since future rallies can use the info herein for research and planning. I gleaned much info from the past forums, even if the posts seemed trivial. There are good little nuggets here and there.

I've tried to post a new topic when I wanted to present a separate idea.

Are we there yet?

We're really close. Of course there will be all manner of details to sort, but the two biggest decisions are done: date and location.

And I agree with the new UnOfficial UnRally UnName: The UnRuly UnRally. Hyuk, hyuk, hyuk. lmao.gif

Archived