IGNORED

(lots of pics)Touratech, Zumos, and all other farkles or how I went bald . . .

Firefight911

getting ready for Torrey. 1,100 hours of overtime over and above the usual 56 hour work week is NOT conducive to successful farklization! dopeslap.gifdopeslap.gif

As of 1150 AM local time, Sept. 22 this is where we are:

198871397-L.jpg

Yep!! Wires everywhere. At least the hard parts are all installed! crazy.gifdopeslap.gifbncry.gif

For those who know, and love to tease, these pictures should fill you in on how feverishly I have been trying to get this project complete before Torrey!

In a word - CHAOS!!

198870660-L.jpg

198870697-L.jpg

198870721-L.jpg

198870741-L.jpg

198871258-L.jpg

I have solicited some able help to get this project done!

198870600-L.jpg

Hook, the GPS expert!

and

198870639-L.jpg

Ladder, the mechanic.

Here's the summary:

198870770-L.jpg

Exhaust extenders.

198870831-L.jpg

Shift lever. Darn foot wouldn't fit very well in dirt boots so it is longer and has a folding tip.

198870799-L.jpg

Nuf said!!!

198870862-L.jpg Throttle pot protection and a gazillion wires!! dopeslap.gif

198870896-L.jpg

Baehr comm and permanent Gerbing temp controller boxes. These are all mounted where the ABS module would be on ABS bikes. Wow!!! No ABS, no ESA, aftermarket suspension. Heresy!! lmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

198870966-L.jpg

Front Ohlins and Touratech bags that fit on the crash bars.

198870926-L.jpg HID on the left.

198871005-L.jpg

Fog on the right.

198871094-L.jpg

Switch block for HID and fog lights. Note the permanent temp controllers at the top of the picture. These are mounted in the Touratech dash cover.

198871039-L.jpg

This is it. Note the dash cover above it. This hides all the wiring behind the dash cover and will provide the mount point for the GXM-30 XM radio puck.

198871065-L.jpg

Push to talk button location. The silver box below the handlebar pad is the HID ballast location.

198871118-L.jpg Fuel line protectors.

198871141-L.jpg

Bash plate

198871168-L.jpg

Center stand bash plate and Conti TKC-80's

198871182-L.jpg

Rear brake reservoir protector and Ohlins rear.

198871216-L.jpg

Anybody for a wiring spaghetti feed? This is where the Blue Sea fuse box will be mounted on an aluminum plate I had the sheet metal place make. It will share the space with the multiple relays needed for the lights and fuse block. Again, this is the space where the ABS module would go.

198871290-L.jpg

No worries though!! We still are coming to Torrey with these whether the Adventure is done or not!!! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

198871336-L.jpg

198871358-L.jpg

A little of the aftermath of fury! 198871461-L.jpg

198871425-L.jpg

Hmmm, this looks good!!

Alright! I know. Get back to work!! Time to get the Zumo 550 attached to the locking Touratech mount, fit the fuse block, terminate the wires, and put it back together. Any bets???? dopeslap.gifdopeslap.gifdopeslap.gif

I don't know about this, propane (subtly overlooked in the narrative!!!), wires, electronics, and fur! You know a fireman knows better than to store propane in the garage. This MUST be nefarious. Somebody turn him in right away lmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

WOW, what a job! thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

ps, please don't look at my bike in Torrey, I'm embarrassed.

pss Does this(Baehr) mean Jamie is riding her own bike out? Guess that means she likes F800ST. Guess you need to wire her up too so's you can talk, get back to work.

psss When did you get an adventure, all I've ever heard of was your ST? Musta missed something.

Phil,

You have indeed gone over the edge... lmao.giflmao.gif

Reminds me of a movie--Young Frankenstein:

Doc Frankensteen: LIFE! DO YOU HEAR ME? GIVE MY CREATION... LIFE!

Doc Frankensteen: Alive! It's alive! It's alive!

Faithful servant Igor: Wait Master, it might be dangerous... you go first.

Awesome job, can't wait to see if she actually runs wave.gif

Slyder

I love/hate threads like this because they always give me more ideas! So, questions Phil - Where did the shifter and the exhaust pipe extensions come from?

Thanks!

Shifter came from Adventurer's Workshop. LINKY

Extensions came from Excel Cycle Werkes. LINKY

I will add that both pieces are absolute works of art. Beautifully built. Both companies had phenomenal service.

Wowee, all that stuff is neat, but the best is your environmental conscientiousness in switching to propane, a much cleaner burning fuel than gasoline. Once you get your new tank mounted, your bike will look just like the attached photo! thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

929372-dreamlifter.gif.af0f93281bff265dc4039750b44a24fb.gif

Phil,

I recognize the BMW switch housing, but I don't recognize the legend on the switches. Any chance you have a part# handy? Do they have a indicator lamp in the switch? The fiche gives nothing on the legends, etc. Did you replace the Tyco connectors on the ends or manage to find a match for them?

Thanks.

Phil,

I recognize the BMW switch housing, but I don't recognize the legend on the switches. Any chance you have a part# handy? Do they have a indicator lamp in the switch? The fiche gives nothing on the legends, etc. Did you replace the Tyco connectors on the ends or manage to find a match for them?

Thanks.

They are the BMW standard light switches. Don't have the part number handy. If you call Mitch Sweeney at A&S BMW, he'll have all the info you need.

Yes, they do have an indicator lamp in the switch. Cut the connectors off and wired direct in line. I have the wiring config for ya if you need it. That wasy the lights will work properly on the switch.

Jeez....

I should have bought stock in Touratech.....

or a bike wash company in Diamond Springs... lmao.gif

No wonder you gotta work so much overtime.....

Ever gonna get it done? lurker.giflurker.gif

I'm hoping I get to see the finished product this week.

Doubtful, but hoping....

Looks good so far.

I wonder if you could have saved some money just having BMW send you the bike unassembled?

Note to Huck and Bakerzdonuthole:

Do not quit your day jobs!! The comedy thing prolly won't work out to well!!

And NO, the Adventure will not make the journey. I ran in to some problems with the B2B mount and the fuse block mounting that ate up too much time.

Jamie will be bringing the Zumo though. In the truck with the trailer and her bike!!! lmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

Did not buy from BMW, bought Whiplash from Whip. This really is a bike that has spent more of its life in "the shop" than on the road!! dopeslap.gifdopeslap.gifdopeslap.gifdopeslap.gif

This really is a bike that has spent more of its life in "the shop" than on the road!! dopeslap.gifdopeslap.gifdopeslap.gifdopeslap.gif

bncry.gif

Sounds like the kid on Christmas morning who's toys did not come with batteries tongue.gif

What's the deal with the muffler extension?
To protect a side case on that side. The factory exhaust on the R1200GS ends about 6" short of the rear of the case. On the BMW Vario cases there is a heat shield place on that side's case, but the interior seems to still get warmed a bit. On other aftermarket case, especially metal ones that conduct heat to the inside easily, it can/could be more of an issue.
What's the deal with the muffler extension?
To protect a side case on that side. The factory exhaust on the R1200GS ends about 6" short of the rear of the case. On the BMW Vario cases there is a heat shield place on that side's case, but the interior seems to still get warmed a bit. On other aftermarket case, especially metal ones that conduct heat to the inside easily, it can/could be more of an issue.

Ah...OK, that makes sense.

need your address...gonna have my next moto dropped ship to your workshop for detailing and farklelizing. great post and awesome set up. thumbsup.gif

50CC out here with Matt and Danny. We'll all get our farkle on!! lmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

need your address...gonna have my next moto dropped ship to your workshop for detailing and farklelizing. great post and awesome set up. thumbsup.gif

50CC out here with Matt and Danny. We'll all get our farkle on!! lmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

i'll fly out and ride back!

This really is a bike that has spent more of its life in "the shop" than on the road!! dopeslap.gifdopeslap.gifdopeslap.gifdopeslap.gif

bncry.gif

Sounds like the kid on Christmas morning who's toys did not come with batteries tongue.gif

lmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

Typical hose-head. Paycheck, motorcycle, beer, 48 off. Do you think you could adapt a laser level to help with cornering?

Nice bike. Any schmuck can be a motorcycle rider. A real man wants to be a motorcycle pilot.

• 1 month later...

So, when we last left our action, or is that Inaction, hero there was quite a bit of work to go!!

Well, after way too many months of having it sit, lonely and forlorn, the GSA actually started for the first time since July last night!!!!!

Called Whip and let him hear it. He thought I was kidding and only revving the ST throttle.

Soooooo, herein lies the proof that the GSA lives again!!

I’m back at work today (shocker!!!) but I’ll have some more pictures and details later this week.

The nearly final list of what was done to Whiplash:

Conti TKC-80 tires

Touratech steering stop

Touratech oil cooler protector

Touratech headlight guard

Kaoko throttle lock

Touratech Fog light

Touratech HID light

Touratech tank side bags

Midland GMRS bike to bike radio

Ram mount for bike to bike

Baehr Ultima comm. system

Touratech bash plate

Touratech center stand bash plate

Touratech rear brake reservoir protector

Touratech throttle position sensor protector

Touratech petrol line protector

2 Gerbin permamnet temp controllers

Touratech dash cover with accessory port

Touratech upper dash cover

Garmin Zumo 550

Touratech locking GPS mount and adapter

Ohlins front and rear suspension

Excel Cycle Werkes exhaust extensions

Wunderlich license plate reflector eliminator

Garmin GXM-30

Blue Sea fuse block (relay controlled)

Hammerhead shift lever extension

Front and rear Corbin heated seats

What’s left????? Still have to add the Touratech Zega side and top case mounts and cases.

Here are some pics from last night.

215032684-X3.jpg

Power relay for the fuse block along with storage for passenger Gerbing and heated seat wiring.

215033050-L.jpg

Minimal wires to give away all the electronics.

215032709-L.jpg

All wiring was hung with care. Everything was run along the factory harnesses. You can clearly see the HID ballast.

215032753-L.jpg

Yellow PTT button, Zumo, Midland B2B. The switches were added (above handlebar cross brace) for the HID and fog light control. Stock BMW switches. LED’s in switches work just like the stock set up.

215032784-L.jpg

An added benefit of no ABS module!!! HUGE cavernous location to hide fuse block. Completely accessible by removing right side panel and air cleaner snorkel. Gerbing control modules are shown, bottom left.

215032817-L.jpg

Here’s the view of the completed fuse block and relays for the lights.

215032843-L.jpg

215032891-L.jpg

Baehr comm.. sits right above the fuse block.

215032914-L.jpg

215032960-L.jpg

8.7 gallons!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

215033095-L.jpg

It is ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!

215032999-X3.jpg

215032982-X3.jpg

Stay tuned for a ride report and the final installment of the cases and the fun toys I have for those!!!!

Hi Phil,

I just bought a GSA located in Virginia (DC area) and am flying out tomorrow to pick it up and ride it back to Tucson. Hopefully I can make it back in two long days. I'll be doing much of what you have done so I may call you for "consultation". Cheers,

john

Hi Phil,

I just bought a GSA located in Virginia (DC area) and am flying out tomorrow to pick it up and ride it back to Tucson. Hopefully I can make it back in two long days. I'll be doing much of what you have done so I may call you for "consultation". Cheers,

john

Hmmm, an excuse to finally ride out to AZ to see Tom and you!!! thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Archived