IGNORED

RT100 will not start

mkl1100

I am looking to address the collective wisdom of the forum. After not being ridden for a couple of weeks, my bike cranks but does not start.

Battery is new and is fully charged, fuses are all intact, fuel lines attached, and I can hear the fuel pump engage. I unplugged and reinserted the relays, to no avail. Bike was running fine last time out. Any ideas for me to pursue or suggestions would be appreciated.

Doesn't fire at all? Not even a pop? If that's the case its either getting no fuel at all or no electrical. Might want to check the sidestand switch, shut off switch on handlebar, etc., if you haven't already as a first step. Checking spark by pulling one plug and shorting on block would seem next, then pulling fuel line and seeing if its delivering anything. After that stuff, I call my brother whose our families mechanical wizard. wink.gif

+1, He his the nail on the head. 2 areas where I have been confounded and embarrassed are the side stand being down (while on center stand) and the engine cut off switch. Won't fire in either position but will crank, check those first. blush.gif

thanks for the feedback guys. Kill switch and side stand are ok. Will explore the plugs and fuel delivery shortly. Would a fried relay be a possibility?

mike

I am looking to address the collective wisdom of the forum. After not being ridden for a couple of weeks, my bike cranks but does not start.

Battery is new and is fully charged, fuses are all intact, fuel lines attached, and I can hear the fuel pump engage. I unplugged and reinserted the relays, to no avail. Bike was running fine last time out. Any ideas for me to pursue or suggestions would be appreciated.

Mkl1100, as mentioned check for spark (snappy bluish colored spark while cranking) ..

Check for both fuel pressure & fuel flow (if low suspect fuel hose in fuel tank came off)..

Look for signs of water on spark plugs (if you had some water in the fuel tank it will settle to the bottom during the time the bike sat then the fuel pump will pump that to the injectors when tying to start)..

If you have both fuel delivery & spark,, pull a fuel injector (re-hook up the fuel line) then crank the engine & look for a good solid fuel spray.. (that will confirm the Motronic is receiving a good hall signal & also supplying an injector pulse)..

You don’t have the exhaust plugged do you? I plug my muffler off while washing the bike & if I forget to pull the plug it will crank but refuse to start until the plug is removed..

Twisty

I had the same symptoms as you due to the fuel filter blowing off the fuel line in the tank. As stated above, check for spark and then check to see if you have fuel pressure going into and out of the injectors.

Archived