IGNORED

Zumo 550 m/c cradle Security Screw? Where to obtain?

TyTass

Jeez, already. Only had my Zumo a little over a month. Found the Security Screw (at top right of motorcycle cradle) missing when I attempted to mount my Zumo for a normal commute to work.

[before anyone starts with the sarcastic comments (that I would surely make) ... YES, I do know where my office is located. YES, I do know how to get there! And YES, I do bother hooking up to listen to music on my 25 min commute to work. Along with riding, it improves my outlook on the day remarkably. And besides, one never knows when the desire to just take off and ride somewhere far away strike.]

Anyway, tape works to hold down the lockdown but that is hardly a permanent solution (if indeed it solves anything at all). So I'm wondering if anyone else lost theirs and knows of a replacement or a place to order from. No response from Garmin so far.

How did you contact Garmin, Craig? I've found them very responsive to their customer service request form on the web site. That screw is supposed to be captive, and shouldn't come out (unless the Zumo mount differs in that respect from the 2610 mount). Odds are Garmin will send you a new one, gratis.

go to www.zumoforums.com and search security screw or look at the sticky list. you can order an after-market screw that you can tighten/loosen by hand because of a pea-size knurled knob on top. It takes a week to get it. Others on the zumo sight have ordered replacement screws from Garmin and others have found replacements at hardware stores.

Bill,

I contacted them via the website but admittedly it was early Friday and since I dind't hear anything by Fri night I was thinking I might not hear anything until Monday.

Besides I was actually looking for an answer like what allikanbe posted below. I'll go check the forum and try to find that knurled know! thumbsup.gif I hate that little set screw that was supposed to be captive.

Thanks. clap.gif

go to www.zumoforums.com and search security screw or look at the sticky list. you can order an after-market screw that you can tighten/loosen by hand because of a pea-size knurled knob on top.

That sounds like a good alternative. The first time I tried to remove the security screw on a dark night was the last time I ever used it. I have a locking Touratech mount so it was redundant anyway.

That screw that guy sells is fantastic. It's so much easier. He's quick and it's well made, too.

I 2nd or 3rd or 4th this. I got two, they arrived quickly and make taking Zumo off soooooo much easier.

The sceurity screw thread is hard to find. It is the first one under General Info, or in case you miss it:

http://www.zumoforums.com/index.php?topic=1153.0

Photos and all. Price includes shipping. Not a commercial enterprise. Just a friend on the board who responded to a need. He rides a GS...

In case you missed it, I am one of the moderators over there and we have a lot of fine BMW guys and gals to help with any question about the zumo or mapsource.

+1 on the after market thumb screw. With my eyes, I cannot possibly see the Garmin screw well enough to use that little screw driver. Also, the screw driver hits the wind screen.

Archived