IGNORED

Zumo caution

Dave McReynolds

Dave McReynolds

Recently ordered Zumo from Amazon. Amazon offered a bundled price discount if you ordered it with a motorcycle hookup cable and a carrying case. Turns out it already comes with a motorcycle hookup cable and case included with the Zumo, so now I have to return the extra cable and case. No biggie, but I could have avoided the hassle if I had known.

Dave McReynolds

Yes, I suppose I should be better at reading the fine print, being a CPA. If anyone wants a really really good deal on a Zumo case and motorcycle wiring hookup to save me the bother of returning them to Amazon for a refund, send me a PM.

BTW, I've got the thing mounted on my K1200GT now, and have started playing around with it in anticipation of my trip to Torrey later this week, and so far have been very pleased with the GPS and XM performance and ease of use.

Dave, sorry to hear about your situation with a vendor through Amazon- sounds a little shady to me. Perhaps a report to Amazon would be in order.

Meanwhile if you hook up with

http://www.zumoforums.com/

You would have a pretty good chance to find someone interesting in your extra stuff.

Dave:

I've got a new '07 1200RT that came with the Zumo as a BMW promotion. Are you using the Bluetooth feature to get the audio (road directions, XM, and phone) to your helmet? If so, what device did you purchase for the helmet, and how is it working?

thanks

Dave McReynolds

I'm not using Bluetooth, as of now anyway, since I don't have any immediate plans to hook up my cell phone.

I have custom earphones made by Arizona Al that I plug into the side of the Zumo holder.

Dave:

I've got a new '07 1200RT that came with the Zumo as a BMW promotion. Are you using the Bluetooth feature to get the audio (road directions, XM, and phone) to your helmet? If so, what device did you purchase for the helmet, and how is it working?

thanks

Rick, on the Zumo there is no Stereo in blue tooth mode so if you want stereo you will need to be hard wired to the cradle..

Twisty

Dave McReynolds

Does it mount the same on your new GT as the older 26XX series of Garmin GPS's?

I had an accessory shelf left over from my old K1200GT that worked out better than any of the stuff they sent with the Zumo, so I used it. I'll take a picture tonight and post it.

I have a zumo and I use the bluetooth every time I am on the bike. I use the Scala Rider Team set for audio (phone and navigation prompts)

Hopz, just wondering what your experience has been with the battery life/talk time??

Many thanks......Rod

Dave McReynolds

These are pictures of my Zumo mount:

Zumo3a.jpg[/img]

Zumo2a.jpg[/img]

I like it because it is at the right angle, and also allows me to see all my instruments and the Zumo at the same time.

Battery life? Well, all I can tell you is that it has never run down.

I charge it when not on the bike. They claim a week on stand-by and I believe it. My wife and I leave it on continuous-on mode (not VOX) and have done 6 hour rides... never stopped working.

I have forgotten to turn mine off and found it working great two days later... so I still cannot say how long it lasts.

It is a good unit. I love the bluetooth phone connection through the zumo-to my headset. I would have a little more volume but it is ok. It is mono only, and the mp3s are lousy.

Other than that I like it a lot.

Picked our Team Set up on a promotion over at Ride Gear.. (no affiliation) Check around for prices. Got great customer service from Cardo/Scala.

Battery life? Well, all I can tell you is that it has never run down.

I charge it when not on the bike. They claim a week on stand-by and I believe it. My wife and I leave it on continuous-on mode (not VOX) and have done 6 hour rides... never stopped working.

I have forgotten to turn mine off and found it working great two days later... so I still cannot say how long it lasts.

It is a good unit. I love the bluetooth phone connection through the zumo-to my headset. I would have a little more volume but it is ok. It is mono only, and the mp3s are lousy.

Other than that I like it a lot.

Picked our Team Set up on a promotion over at Ride Gear.. (no affiliation) Check around for prices. Got great customer service from Cardo/Scala.

Thanks for the report!!

Cheers.........Rod

One more thng about the volume in a zumo+scala set up.

The zumo has actually got two volumes. One is a master volume and there is another one for the various audio outputs, such as mp3, navigations prompts etc. The trick is to turn both the zumo volumes up to their max... BEFORE you connect the bluetooth Scala Rider.

Situation is that the zumo volume controls are "handed-off" to the b/t device if it is paired. So do the zumo first.

Note: as you know, the zumo 550 comes with automobile mounts as well as the bike mount. The auto mount has a built in speaker. Using the zumo in the car you will find the max audio output way too loud so you will need to turn it down in the car.

The scala headsets have a volume up and down buttons on them. Go ahead and turn it up all the way... 5 clicks up usually does it.

The scala has AGC automatic gain control... the louder the ambient background the greater the volume... automatically.

If you set both the zumo and the headset to max- it generally is quite audible - in my helmet- depending on traffic etc up to about 75 mph... that is, I can hear my wife when she talks.

One more thng about the volume in a zumo+scala set up.

The zumo has actually got two volumes. One is a master volume and there is another one for the various audio outputs, such as mp3, navigations prompts etc. The trick is to turn both the zumo volumes up to their max... BEFORE you connect the bluetooth Scala Rider.

Situation is that the zumo volume controls are "handed-off" to the b/t device if it is paired. So do the zumo first.

Note: as you know, the zumo 550 comes with automobile mounts as well as the bike mount. The auto mount has a built in speaker. Using the zumo in the car you will find the max audio output way too loud so you will need to turn it down in the car.

The scala headsets have a volume up and down buttons on them. Go ahead and turn it up all the way... 5 clicks up usually does it.

The scala has AGC automatic gain control... the louder the ambient background the greater the volume... automatically.

If you set both the zumo and the headset to max- it generally is quite audible - in my helmet- depending on traffic etc up to about 75 mph... that is, I can hear my wife when she talks.

Thanks for the further info!!!

Cheers.........Rod

Downloaded the Scala Team Set manual and it looks like a breeze to install. Do you agree? There is a Nolan helmet with their own N-Com unit which is similar, any info on that unit?

The helmet install of the Scala Team Set- 2 helmets- will take you maybe a half hour- if you go slow.

I know nothing about the Nolan except some reports over at the zumo forum suggest some difficulties getting the bluetooth to synch up to the unit. Whatever it is, is apparently in the Nolan not in the zumo.

I'm using the Nav III and the new BlueAnt Interphone bluetooth attached to the helmet (Nolan 102). I don't listen to music/radio but get my GPS directions and cell phone connection through the Nav III. So far I've been very happy with the arrangement with one exception: the connection point for the boom microphone and speaker required a little super glue to keep it in place. To be honest I probably mistreated it a bit contributing to the connection loosening. Since then no problems. Bought BlueAnt on ebay for about $130. Battery life is amazing when used only for GPS and cell phone although others have complained about short life when used bike to bike or as intercom. I can easily go several days without a recharge with moderate use. Has many of the same features as the Scala with for example automatic volume adjustment for ambient noise. I use it with earplugs and it comes through loud and clear at any speed. grin.gif

http://www.myblueant.com/interphone-motorbike-helmet-kit.htm

You all know I am a zumo guy, so I admit bias but would never knock some other unit.

Having said that let me simply report my two friends experience with blueant... both had complete failures with their sets- had to be replaced. Both replacement units had volumes so low they were un-useable. Both had considerably poor customer service resulting in some pretty bad feelings and both units returned for refund.

Both riders went on 2500 mile Posse Run without headset communications due to the blueant failures and no remaining time to jury rig something.

Your actual mileage may vary. I hope others have a better experience and find the b/a works for them.

But my suggestion is to buy from a source that offers full, money-back support in case of dissatisfaction.

Sorry to hear about the problems your buddies had with their BlueAnt systems. I will update if I run into any issues but so far so good. Perhaps mine is the exception?

Let me jump in here... dude is correct...the regular Zumo does not have XM radio. It has the capability to play XM services, but you must buy the XM receiver and also subscribe to the service.

The zumo 550 will play the XM via bluetooth to your helmet or in your car, but again- the unit does not have XM radio built in.

"the Dude abides".....*

* as quoted from the "Big Lebowski"

Dave McReynolds

I used the 550 with XM on my trip to Torrey. As has been said, you do need the optional XM antenna/receiver. It's a pod about the size of a hockey puck with a wire attached that I velcro to a convenient place on my fairing. The XM is excellent, has convenient controls, adequate volume even for my less than adequate ears, and is very entertaining on a long trip, other than almost running off the road several times when I was selecting the channels I wanted on my presets. I use it with the custom fitting ear speakers, so I get stereo sound.

It would be a lot less than excellent if you wanted to use it in your car, though. The little built-in speaker is fine for GPS directions, but leaves a lot to be desired for XM. I guess you would have to get some kind of amplifier or some way to connect in to your car sound system for it to work very well.

Archived