IGNORED

GPS wiring

LGannon

Just go my streetpilot today, does anyone have photos that they would share of their installs? particularly how to get the wiring out of the dash board area into the GPS, I'm thinking about the Migsel option with a RAM arm. Thanks in advance.

Hello! I have the migsel mount for my StreetPilot ColorMap. I cut the wire at the battery end so I could run it through the holes in the dash. Took off the tupperware and routed the cable down beside the tank and hooked it up to the battery. I'll try to take some pictures when Nancy gets back with the digital camera.

Mike

I just run mine out between the speedo and the dash surround (i.e., the part that has the two half-circles above the speedo and tach). No problems so far, and it doesn't get in the way of removing the panel, unlike a cable passing through a hole might.

I removed the windshield, the top cowl of the dash, and the dash panel ... ran the power behind the speedo and up over the lip of the dash ... fit the cowl back on so the wire just drops out of the center top of the dash ... no cutting or drilling.

• 4 weeks later...
I ran mine from a radio wire that only shuts off when the fork is locked.

Hi, I'm getting ready to wire one. How/where do you identify the radio power pin-out?

Thanks, Eric

I have the Migsel mount, and ran wiring up under the tupperware, above the cylinders, without having to remove anything...power strip under the seat, powering gps, radar, and XM.

I bought some plastic "wire loom" at an auto parts store, which is a sort of corrugated plastic "hose" with a slit along its length. Started from the seat side, fished a coat hanger down a ways, then reached up from the front (cold engine!) and pulled it through, with the loom attached, wires already inside the loom. Didn't have to cut anything, zip tied to various stuff under the front, ran the wires up through the windshield arm holes, been that way for almost ten thousand miles, no problems. Used to have photos, but for some silly reason deleted them. No cutting, no tupperware removal, just have wires peeking out from the windshield over to the RAM mounts.

Jerry Johnston
Hi, I'm getting ready to wire one. How/where do you identify the radio power pin-out?

Thanks, Eric

Eric I used a VOM to check the voltage on the radio wiring but a small light bulb with a couple of wires attached to it will work just as well. I modified a connector for a computer to fit the small socket so that I didn't have to tap the wires. I would have written down the colors of the wire but I'm partially color blind and probably would have erred. If I remember right it was a socket that was about 1/2" long x 1/4" wide, had a point (cheron shaped) on one end - flat on the other. Only two pins to it (I think). I did this two years ago and didn't write anything down. I won't have the left side fairing off the bike until next year or I'd go look. When you find it, if you decide to use the socket instead of just tapping the wires I could probably make a mate to the socket for you.

I have a Misgel mount and some Powerlet stuff to install. I plan on splicing a Powerlet plug on the 2610 power plug and adding a Powerlet socket on the dash. This will allow a cleaner look when the GPS is not in use. I currently have the Garmin power plug dangling when not in use.

Carl

Thanks, Eric

This pdf has lots of info. thumbsup.gif

Diverhank’s SP26X0 Undocumented Features

Archived