IGNORED

Caberg Justissimo Helmet - Experiences?

Ken H.

Head shape this helmet is best for?

Mine.

Have been using the Justissimo for 3 years now, a great feature is being able to remove the chin part; making it a 3/4 helmet for the warmer weather.

Rod

They seem to favor rounder heads rather than narrow ones. My wife loves her Caberg. I sold mine after a short time and went with a Shoei RF1000 which fit my long narrow type head better.

Anyone have any experience with? Someone had one at the UN, but I can't remember who.

Ken, for me, that was the was the worse purchase that I have made in 36 years of cycling. That includes buying a basketcase '75 Suzuki GT380...

The helmet was loud, it leaked, and turned "old" very fast. If it cost $100, it may be ok but for what they are asking, no.

YRMV.

I"ve had one for a few months. It fits rounds . The sun visor is really nice and operates with clear visor up or down. Replacement clear visors are 45 bucks which I think is costly. My hjc syman befor was 25bucks to replace. You should try it on before for the chin gard is shallow . It fits my chin but not my wifes. I like the shallow chin for checking over my shoulder before a lane change . the symax would hit mt shoulder. The noise factor it about the same as the symax which to me is loud. I were ear plugs all the time which makes it ok.

Both Joyce & I have one. She still wears hers, I switched To Shoei "Multi-Tec"

Plusses:

Flip-up front

Price: reasonable w/"features" offered

"Drop-down", built-in sun visor

"Quick-Release" chin strap (not a "+" for everyone)

MINUSES:

Heavy; over 4 lbs.(4 lbs., 4 ozs. I think)

Noisy, actually very noisy

Top vent doesn't work (ck. it out; "sealed" w/clear plastic piece)

Enjoy the Shoei but miss the "Quick-Release" feature of the Caberg.

Anyone have any experience with? Someone had one at the UN, but I can't remember who.

Ken, for me, that was the was the worse purchase that I have made in 36 years of cycling. That includes buying a basketcase '75 Suzuki GT380...

The helmet was loud, it leaked, and turned "old" very fast. If it cost $100, it may be ok but for what they are asking, no.

YRMV.

I have to agree with Rob...I sold mine after a couple of years. The detente that holds the chin bar up gave up early on, it was loud, and the ventilation wasn't that great. The killer was the overall quality - couldn't hold a candle to my Schuberth Concept, BMW System V, or my Arai Quantim /f. Not even in the same league. Only upside was the price: Cheap at $300 new.

I love mine. I have had it for about 6 months and 15K miles, and it has held up great!

I have a round face, and wear a medium size. No issues at all.

I added a few accents:

helmet-2.jpg

helmet-1.jpg

2-arrival.jpg

Jim cool.gif

I like mine fine. My head's round like a bowling ball and I always wear earplugs (habit from work.) Tinted flip-up visor is nice. Not much chin room. Got mine in Italy for E180 (but didn't get the VAT refund or it would have been cheaper), so no DOT sticker. Seems like it's sized fairly big; mine's a medium and I've always worn a large in other makes.

I have three of them ... one never worn, one was the missus's and the other mine ... bl00dy uncomfortable ... noisy ... now have Schuberths

... anyone in the UK want 'em?

I've been using a Caberg for about three months after wearing out a Schuberth. I loved the Schuberth, and find the Caberg a lighter replacement. Had to hog out the ears - too tight. Haven't had a good rain check yet... It's lighter than the Schuberth, and with earplugs, is very quiet. Neck closure is more open - may be a bit colder this winter.

I have three of them ... one never worn, one was the missus's and the other mine ... bl00dy uncomfortable ... noisy ... now have Schuberths

... anyone in the UK want 'em?

Nah, mine is hanging on the rack - cheap and nasty build standard, rattles, chin bar to close to my chin, needs a lot of work to install a headset. Definitely one of my worst buys.

Andy

I recall a post over on the i-bmw.com board (the old one) a few years back. Someone was in an accident with one and the hinge pin for the flip up part actually went into his head. I'll always remember what he said when he crashed in it. His comment was "Shattered like a Christmas Ornament".

This was what I recall and isn't my personal experience. But I recall that comment so clearly....

Thanks to everyone for the comments. Between here and two other boards where I asked, the consensus is running 3 to 1 against. So I'll scrap that idea!

Think I'll just send my Nolan 101 in for repair of a couple of nagging issues. It's still under warranty anyway.

Ken, you are probably making the right decision not buying the Caberg. After finding out the Scorpion 1000's won't be available for some time I bought the Caberg just for the flip down shield.

The chin bar is very close but not a problem for me.

The shield does not seal very well in rain.

The ear hole area is somewhat tight, may need "adjusting".

Noisiest helmet I have had. Did I say noisy?

The reason I replied is to say that I did help the noise somewhat. The top vent function is not really noticeable. It has a large opening but the diverter shapes built in under the plastic cover may be a source of noise. I actually took the covers off and enlarged the openings that "opening" the vents made use of. Very little difference in cooling. I do think this helmet actually cools rather well as long as the front shield is not all the way down. It does have an excellent design in the air channels built into the foam. I think that the rear air extractors must work to pull air through also. I test the cooling in Houston every day! Back to fixing the noise. I simply filled in all the openings in the top vents with clear silicone and smoothed them out for the least turbulence. Huge difference in noise with almost no difference in cooling. thumbsup.gif

I love mine and would not hesitate to buy another one, but then that is why we have so many choices. The Shark seems to be getting good press although I have not tried on one or checked them out. My Jarow (Caberg) fits well, is no noisier than my other flip fronts, and DOES NOT LEAK when closed properly. The face shield has lasted very well and with the sun visor feature I see no need to replace the face shield but if I had to, I doubt $45 would stop me since I like the helmet so well.

I love mine and would not hesitate to buy another one, but then that is why we have so many choices. The Shark seems to be getting good press although I have not tried on one or checked them out. My Jarow (Caberg) fits well, is no noisier than my other flip fronts, and DOES NOT LEAK when closed properly. The face shield has lasted very well and with the sun visor feature I see no need to replace the face shield but if I had to, I doubt $45 would stop me since I like the helmet so well.

+ 1 on the comments above. I've had mine for several years and while not as comfortable as my Arai Corsair, I do think it is quieter. No problems with any feature of the helmet and I have lots of miles on it. I don't know if it would be my " only " helmet, but having the Arai gives me options, and the Caberg was priced right. If I had to have just one helmet, then I'd be out shopping them all, but, as a second helmet, it's just fine.

Archived