IGNORED

R1100RT Shocks/Handling

amboy

My 2000 R1100RT just turned 21k miles and still has the original shocks. I've only had the bike for one riding season and was wondering what life expectancy I can expect for the stock BMW shocks. I realize that riding style drastically effects longevity of parts for any vehicle, but since this is my first Beemer, I'm not sure what to expect. To be honest, I'm not overly impressed with the bikes handling... it feel bigger and heavier than I thought it would off the interstate (I previously had an FJ Yamaha that weighed about the same). Also, what are some of the telltale signs I should be looking for that signals it's geting close to replacement time. Finally, what's been your experience with various manufacturers replacement shocks; i.e. Ohlins, Works, HyperPro, etc. Thanks in advance.

Most people get 30k to 40k out of the stock shocks. IMHO road conditions, and load (two-up and lot's of gear) have a greater impact than rider style, unless your last name is Rossi or Hayden. Your statement about how your RT feels would lead me to believe that maybe your shocks are worn out. Telltale signs would include leaking and poor handling. I think the Ohlins are a good choice, but others have had good things to say about Wilbers, Works, and Hyperpro.

Carroll

My 2000 R1100RT just turned 21k miles and still has the original shocks. I've only had the bike for one riding season and was wondering what life expectancy I can expect for the stock BMW shocks.

About 67k miles on my '02 R1150RS on its original shocks, and I probably won't change them for a while because I can't afford the cost. :-( About 10% of my riding is 2-up with my wife. Many folks suggest aftermarket shocks like Works, Wilbers, or Ohlins, but would there anything wrong with my replacing 'em with OEM units? Would it be worth the difference in cost otherwise? Thanks. And sorry for the mini-hijack.

somewhere around 30k miles I was following a friend into a nice left sweeper a little on the hot side when my rt started to wobble.

Knew immediately what that meant, time for Ohlins!

Oh my God the difference!!! The stock shocks where OK but the Ohlins were beyond belief. Feel like I'm stuck to the road.

Here I am at 80k and they are still working great.

1. OEM rears are rebuildable. Fronts are not.

2. Life varies depending on use, as one of the bros said above. I wouldn't go more than 60K. The changes are gradual and subtle as they wear so you don't tend to notice the change in performance. If you just like to motor down the freeway it's not a big issue. If you like to push the bike in the twisties it's crucial.

3. As one who finally sprung (albeit, kicking and screaming over the price) for a set of Ohlins I can't tell you how much difference it made. After a long trip this summer one of my riding partners -- a guy I've been trying to catch up to in the turns for years -- asked me what had made me so much faster than before. I'd credit it to the Ohlins and some improvements to my riding style that having them allowed.

Pony up for some some aftermarket shocks: Ohlins, Wilburs, etc.

114000+ miles, original stuff on the RTP. Most of us don't really ride worth a crap anyway so just keep on slogging!

Bike does ridde smoother when it's loaded for a trip. Oh, well! dopeslap.gif

My 2000 R1100RT just turned 21k miles and still has the original shocks. I've only had the bike for one riding season and was wondering what life expectancy I can expect for the stock BMW shocks.

About 67k miles on my '02 R1150RS on its original shocks, and I probably won't change them for a while because I can't afford the cost. :-( About 10% of my riding is 2-up with my wife. Many folks suggest aftermarket shocks like Works, Wilbers, or Ohlins, but would there anything wrong with my replacing 'em with OEM units? Would it be worth the difference in cost otherwise? Thanks. And sorry for the mini-hijack.

From a ride quality/control perspective, there's no contest...aftermarket is light years better.

From a cost perspective, it depends. If you're going to keep the bike for a while, then aftermarket is usually cheaper since they can be easily rebuilt vs. always having to buy new stock shocks.

I'll say this much: I've regretted spending money on a LOT of things, but suspension has NEVER been one of them. It's the second best thing you can do to improve your bike. (The best thing is to upgrade the nut that connects the saddle to the handlebars.)

A lot depends on your perception of ride quality and the size of your wallet. The stock shocks are OK for the average rider but are mostly not that great. On my GS I decided to go with aftermarket shocks. The main difference between stock and custom is that these shocks were built for my personal style of riding and bodyweight, including ATGATT and camp gear. The bike feels more planted both on and off pavement and handles much better with the aftermarket shocks. If you pick any major aftermarket brand you can't go wrong. Maybe a group buy is in order for a discount for a set of shocks. This is how I ended up with Wilbers, but Ohlins would have been fine too wink.gif. As a major investment in your bike it is the most bang for the buck....YMMV. Just my 0.02 cts

Archived