IGNORED

12K Service

jclevenger

I recently purchased a 2000 R1100RT with about 14K miles on it. The PO had all maintenance done by a dealer, but did not have the 12K maintenance done yet. Couple of questions...

Is the 12K maint. too much for someone new to this to tackle? I am not a mechanic but can generally handle simple tasks (brakes, oil, etc) on my car.

How much should I expect to end up paying? Either if I do it myself or take it to a dealer.

Should I be panicking that the bike is now 2,000 over the 12K ? Do I need to stop riding until this maint. is completed?

Thanks!!

Jason

The 12K mile service is not bad at all. You will adjust the valves, sync the throttle bodies, change the oil/oil filter, air filter, tranny fluid, and final drive fluid. Don't worry about the bike being 2K miles over the 12K point. To take your bike to the dealer to do this service will run you at least $300. Changing the fluids yourself with save you over $100. The air filter is a piece of cake to change. If you don't feel comfortable doing the valves/throttle bodies you can take it to the dealer or independent that knows how to do it. Your other option is to find a rider on this board close by that could show you how to adjust the valves. It is really quite easy actually.

I did everything on my '04 RT except the brake fluid change and bleed, and the throttle sync. I've since been told on this board that even those sevices are well within the capability of the average owner with some aptitude and patience.

Good suggestion about the brake fluid flush Bob. Forget that one. The brake flush is very easy on your bike Jason. No servo assist brakes so you bleed them just like any other brakes.

The 12K service is both easy and rewarding if you have even minimal wrenching skills.

I have done all my own maintenance, and taught many others to do the same.

Jim cool.gif

Jim -

I have been looking at the information regarding your dvd's and they sound great. I do a lot better with visual things than just reading the steps. A bit confused though... do I need the R1200 dvd AND the R1100 dvd or will the R1100 give me what I need?

Thanks!

Jim -

I have been looking at the information regarding your dvd's and they sound great. I do a lot better with visual things than just reading the steps. A bit confused though... do I need the R1200 dvd AND the R1100 dvd or will the R1100 give me what I need?

Thanks!

For your 2000 RT the R1100/1150 DVD will fit your needs!

Click here

Jim cool.gif

Archived