IGNORED

R1200RT radio removal?

drdave39

As I search for a used R1200RT, it seeems that msot of the ones I find have the radio kit installed. I really don't want it (I prefer iPod and earplug setup) and wonder if removal (and re-sale) is possible. Has anyone pulled or installed the factory radio from a 12RT?

Dave

I've removed mine for installation of a BMW "aux" plug cable for ipod or XM and it was very straight forward removal and re-install with no special tools required. Probably not worth much for resale but you can try.

I've removed mine for installation of a BMW "aux" plug cable for ipod or XM and it was very straight forward removal and re-install with no special tools required.

Johnlt - How's the aux cable doing for you? I'm considering putting one on my radio, ('05 version w/ no jack on the radio face), so that I can use the volume and other controls to easily run the MP3. It's either that or try a FM transmitter on the MP3 player, but would rather not have to keep finding a clean FM frequency. Thanks.

The aux input works great for over a year now. I had to put an amp in line to match the volume of the radio but no problems since. I like being able to use the handlebar controls and also switch from regular radio (local rides) to XM easily. There is a very long and detailed post from a member in the UK with pics etc that tells all. I think you can find it with a search.

If you get an RT with a radio, and pull it out, I'd be interested in buying it if you are willing to remove EVERYTHING for it. Would be willing to send you the blanking covers etc off my bike.

Archived