IGNORED

abs/transmission

567guy

I have read about spline and transmission failures and as I purchased 02 RTP this past spring have been listening closely for unwanted sounds. I have engaged the abs brakes on a few occasions and wonder about the possible link between the abs and wear on trans,there must be slack taken up between rear wheel as abs engages and the engin trying to turn .On my old bikes there would be the initial lock up but with abs there would be possibly hundreds of jarring impacts taken place in trans. Is my therory as bad as my spelling?

Well no comments on the spelling, but I'm not so sure about the ABS transmission failure theory. Certainly there has been no statistical or even implied connection. The pulses generated by the ABS system, rarely engaged by most rider anyway, are rather gentle. More so than say engine combustion pulses or even the 'shock' of shifting.

I have read about spline and transmission failures and as I purchased 02 RTP this past spring have been listening closely for unwanted sounds. I have engaged the abs brakes on a few occasions and wonder about the possible link between the abs and wear on trans,there must be slack taken up between rear wheel as abs engages and the engin trying to turn .On my old bikes there would be the initial lock up but with abs there would be possibly hundreds of jarring impacts taken place in trans. Is my therory as bad as my spelling?

Martin, the newer EVO adaptive ABS systems do seem to be quite harsh when in rear ABS mode as far as driveline rattle goes.. I would imagine if rear ABS mode was engaged enough it could effect gear tooth wear or U-joint life.. Truth is I doubt most people get into dry road rear ABS on a daily basis.. The harshness seems to be at the worst on chatter bump ABS stops with the trans in a lower gear..

If it bothers you just simply pull the clutch in as you enter ABS control as that relaxes the drive line coupling..

If you are getting many rear ABS engagements try using less (or no) rear brake pedal.. Even though the brakes are linked the system seems to bias towards the end that supplies the most input pressure.. Also make darn sure there is no air in brake system between the controller & the calipers (just a bubble or two of air can play havoc with the ABS function..

Twisty

Thanks for the info I may infact be using {unintensionally}abs more than average guy as I am on some gravel and pavement with sand and the odd time wet grass, I am not running this thing off road its just the area I live In.You are right its the low speed abs engagement that really makes a bunch of noise, I do not think I have had a high speed abs engagement and i have not had a front abs engage as I stay off the front brake in these poor road conditions

Archived