IGNORED

camping gear recommendations

jwg122843

Need advice, please. If someone wanted to buy a one-person tent, good quality sleeping bag and other items for motorcycle camping and did not have a lot of time to shop, where would you go and what brands would you buy? What items do you use that you really believe in? Items should provide comfort to a well-worn mid-60's body. Temperatures would never be lower than 30-40° F in winter and hot, sometimes humid weater in the summer. Thanks.

Need advice, please. If someone wanted to buy a one-person tent, good quality sleeping bag and other items for motorcycle camping and did not have a lot of time to shop, where would you go and what brands would you buy? What items do you use that you really believe in? Items should provide comfort to a well-worn mid-60's body. Temperatures would never be lower than 30-40° F in winter and hot, sometimes humid weater in the summer. Thanks.

When I saw this post about camping on this forum, I nearly passed out. I was under the impression everyone here is too "dignified" to sleep in the dirt after a good day's ride.

My best advice is to not be cheap when you buy camping gear. You will soon find that it's inadequate and have to replace it with something better and then the cheap stuff is really expensive stuff sitting in your attic (DAMHIK).

Here are my recommendations:

Tent: Get a free standing two person dome tent. I know you said one person, but trust me, you don't want a one person tent. You need some extra room for gear and elbow room. The REI Half Dome tent is very popular. Another good brand is Eureka. Be sure to get a footprint with your tent to protect the bottom. You can also cut a piece of plastic tarp, but it packs larger than the OEM footprint. If you do use a plastic tarp, make sure you cut it so that it is slightly smaller than the footprint so that it won't catch rain and funnel it under your tent. Personally, I own a Sierra Designs Lightning tent. I have a very good reason. When I was out camping with my previous tent (a SD), I woke up one morning and it seemed like I spilled a cup of water inside my tent. Sure, there was water all over the top of my tent on the outside, but there shouldn't be any on the inside. When I got home, I called SD to find out what I should do to fix my tent (seam sealer, etc.). The representative told me that SD tents shouldn't fail like that and that SD would replace it. This is with a tent I had owned three years and probably spent 100 nights in. Amazing! I'll never own another brand. REI is pretty good, too. Before you buy from REI, become a member.

Sleeping bags:

Unless you're an athlete, you need to get a bag rated colder than what you think you are going to experience. From what you've stated, I would recommend a 20 degree bag. There are pros and cons of synthetic vs. down. You can wash a synthetic bag at home. You have to dry clean a down bag. Down packs a little smaller but, to me, it isn't worth it. There's a lot of personal preference with bags (mummy, rectangular, etc.), so you might have to "test drive" before you buy. Personally, I would recommend the North Face Cat's Meow. It's a 20 degree synthetic bag that's roomy, warm and very well made.

Pad:

You need a pad. I use a Thermarest, but might be moving to an air mattress soon. The bigger you are, the thicker it needs to be. Air mattresses don't have any insulating value, but that doesn't sound like it will be a problem for you.

If you need to know about anything else, let me know.

Enjoy shopping!

When I saw this post about camping on this forum, I nearly passed out. I was under the impression everyone here is too "dignified" to sleep in the dirt after a good day's ride.

My best advice is to not be cheap when you buy camping gear. You will soon find that it's inadequate and have to replace it with something better and then the cheap stuff is really expensive stuff sitting in your attic (DAMHIK).

Here are my recommendations:

Tent: Get a free standing two person dome tent. I know you said one person, but trust me, you don't want a one person tent. You need some extra room for gear and elbow room. The REI Half Dome tent is very popular. Another good brand is Eureka. Be sure to get a footprint with your tent to protect the bottom. You can also cut a piece of plastic tarp, but it packs larger than the OEM footprint. If you do use a plastic tarp, make sure you cut it so that it is slightly smaller than the footprint so that it won't catch rain and funnel it under your tent. Personally, I own a Sierra Designs Lightning tent. I have a very good reason. When I was out camping with my previous tent (a SD), I woke up one morning and it seemed like I spilled a cup of water inside my tent. Sure, there was water all over the top of my tent on the outside, but there shouldn't be any on the inside. When I got home, I called SD to find out what I should do to fix my tent (seam sealer, etc.). The representative told me that SD tents shouldn't fail like that and that SD would replace it. This is with a tent I had owned three years and probably spent 100 nights in. Amazing! I'll never own another brand. REI is pretty good, too. Before you buy from REI, become a member.

Sleeping bags:

Unless you're an athlete, you need to get a bag rated colder than what you think you are going to experience. From what you've stated, I would recommend a 20 degree bag. There are pros and cons of synthetic vs. down. You can wash a synthetic bag at home. You have to dry clean a down bag. Down packs a little smaller but, to me, it isn't worth it. There's a lot of personal preference with bags (mummy, rectangular, etc.), so you might have to "test drive" before you buy. Personally, I would recommend the North Face Cat's Meow. It's a 20 degree synthetic bag that's roomy, warm and very well made.

Pad:

You need a pad. I use a Thermarest, but might be moving to an air mattress soon. The bigger you are, the thicker it needs to be. Air mattresses don't have any insulating value, but that doesn't sound like it will be a problem for you.

If you need to know about anything else, let me know.

Enjoy shopping!

Hi,

Good info.

Big Agnes and Exped both make very packable insulated air mattresses.

The Big Agnes insulated aircore pad packs to about the size of the large Nalgene water bottle,about a third to quarter of the size of the average Thermarest pad.

Big Agnes also makes a great bag/mattress system and has highly recommended tents too.

They make a whole bag/pad series for larger folks,or those of us that like more room in our bags,the "Park"series.

JR356

Quite right, only Airhead riders sleep in the dirt.

very high quality mountaineering type stuff: http://www.mgear.com/

Best sleeping bags in the world IMHO: http://www.featheredfriends.com/

second best bags IMHO: http://www.westernmountaineering.com/

best tents on the planet IMHO: http://www.bdel.com/gear/tents_overview.php

Ultralight gear: http://www.golite.com/main/home.aspx

www.rei.com, www.campmor.com, www.cabelas.com, www.mec.ca, www.msrcorp.com

You'll get a high quality product, if not the very best, at any of these places.

Therm-o-rest pad is a must.

Down bags are warmer than others as per weight. Stuffs smaller.

Damned near any tent with a rain fly and a coated bottom will do unless you are doing an expedition and will be using it as a basecamp for extended periods.

I camp in the desert a lot. Rarely take a tent just a poncho. But rain is not an issue.

Good army surplus deal ....... http://www.sportsmansguide.com/

Go shop and have some fun.

thumbsup.gif

Well, here are two suggestions:

This tent is great if you want a lot of flexibility in packing it since it has no poles. (But you pay for it.) There's a slightly bigger one with slightly better ventilation for even more on the site.

However, $110 for this tent is quite inexpensive for what you get.

Sierra Trading Post is a good place to shop for good deals. However, their selection varies regularly. If you find something there, it's typically a good deal. However, places like REI will have a more consistent list of "stuff".

Dick_at_Lake_Tahoe_NV

Get a Cabelas Cot to get up off the ground and be much more comfortable. Even the smaller one works well for mep--it's not just a kids cot as shown. 74-inches long and 24-inches wide and holds 250 pounds. You can even put your Therma-rest on it if you want a little more comfort. This cot folds very small and carries well on your bike.

http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/...&hasJS=true

1. Start by Googling for keywords such as "ultralight camping gear," "Ray Jardine," etc. and spend an evening reading and thinking about what you really need (or don't) and how bulky and heavy it really needs to be.

2. On the topic of sleeping bags, forget down as it's not so great when it gets wet, and it gets wet from moisture that you exhale, etc.. Primaloft is a better choice, as it is non-bulky, does not absorb much moisture, and when it does, still insulates well. Also much cheaper than down.

3. Look into alchohol stoves and burners, starting with homemade ones from Pepsi cans and culminating with Caldera Cone. Google for that. Alcohol fuel can be found most anywhere in various forms, for cheap. Carry in small plastic bottle, used water bottle, etc.. Also handy as disinfectant for first aid kit, and you can drink it if the right kind.

4. Ground cloths of Tyvek housewrap work great, tough, take very little space, and are virtually free. Tarp tents of Tyvek are also great, so Google for that. I've used a SPACE blanket for a ground cloth for decades, works great and has very little bulk or weight. May make a tarp tent outta a two or three SPACE blankets.

4. REI (been a member for 30 years) has knowledgeable staff, good merchandise and return policy, and is extremely overpriced. Shop there for ideas, but with a view to the ultralight camping ideas from Ray Jardine et al, then make or buy elsewhere, such as Campmor, Joes, or any of the ultralight camping sites online. Amazon.com also has stuff to consider.

True, down goes bad when wet, but then what are you doing getting your bag wet? I've never had a wet bag, ever since I was small enough to make it that way myself. And that includes years of mountaineering, ski camping and whitewater rafting, among other things. Go for the down, and never look back.

True, down goes bad when wet, but then what are you doing getting your bag wet? I've never had a wet bag, ever since I was small enough to make it that way myself. And that includes years of mountaineering, ski camping and whitewater rafting, among other things. Go for the down, and never look back.

+1

Line your stuff sack with a trashbag liner, stuff your down sleeping bag in it, fold over the top and cinch it. It will stay dry just fine. When you get your tent set up, get the bag out early so it will have time to come to full fluff.

Trashbag liners also work for other stuff sacks when you want to keep stuff dry.

I'm glad you like the down, and we should all certainly consider it on its merits. However, for those of us who exhale and have moisture coming through our skin*, the down will inevitably absorb such moisture and may not be able to evaporate enough of it in this moist atmosphere in Washington State. So, by morning (often the time of day with highest ambient relative humidity) the sleeping bag has accumulated moisture and does not readily air/dry out. If we then stuff it into the std. garbage bag, it has no chance or airing/drying out while on the bike, either. The moist feathers make a wonderful habitat for mold, etc., which you then get to breathe, and/or the bag winds up getting musty. In any event, the more the moisture, the less the insulation. That is why Primaloft was developed at US Army expense, as it retains less moisture in the first place, transpires more of what moisture it has, and insulates better than down even if wet. It is hypo-allergenic and costs a LOT less than down, while packing into similar or smaller dimensions for a given insulative value: More bang for the buck. Google for Primaloft and see what you think.

I also recommend considering the thoughts of Ray Jardine et al on ultralight backpacking. I suspect that we motorcyclists carry too much stuff, making the bike so top-heavy that we compromise safety and handling. I'm reading "Long Way Round" and those guys wound up dropping their expensive bikes because they were overloaded and top heavy.

BTW, Big Agness makes a pretty good sleeping bag that puts its insulation on top, with a sleeve or pocket on the bottom to insert your self-inflating pad. They figure that when you lie on the insulation, it gets compressed and does not insulate very well, whereas the inflatable pad won't compress. So, they put the insulation where it does the most good, and the pocket underneath keeps the pad in place. The whole shebang takes up less space and weight when packed.

* Weigh yourself before bed and again when you get up. Lighter? The difference is the moisture you exhaled and transpired through your skin, and all that moisture has to go through the sleeping bag, or else is absorbed by the sleeping bag.

I have done a fair amount of backpacking including week-long trips into the grand canyon from the north rim and back (60-70 miles, no trails) using all kinds of gear both conventional and ultra-light.

On a motorcycle, I would definately go as light and compact as is reasonable. That being said, make sure you have an inflatable foam camp matress like Thermarest. If you are on the ground, you need the insulating properties of the air matressit will give the most comfort of any fairly compact camping matress.

As to down versus synthetic, for me the decision is made based on the humidity. I *much* prefer down for its light-weight, hig-loft insulating properties, and comfort. That being said, if moisture is a problem (as RSL points out) and you are not goign to have the leisure time to let the bag air outfor an hour in the mornings, go synthetic. If you are in a fairly high humidy environment with cold nights, down is not the way to go, IMHO. Most of my camping is in the SW US including the gand canyon, San Bernardino mountains, Sierra NEvada range, Prescott AZ, etc, and moisture is just flat out not an issue. So I use down now almost exclusively.

Have fun!

JT

[quoteI'm glad you like the down, and we should all certainly consider it on its merits. However, for those of us who exhale and have moisture coming through our skin*, the down will inevitably absorb such moisture and may not be able to evaporate enough of it in this moist atmosphere in Washington State. So, by morning (often the time of day with highest ambient relative humidity) the sleeping bag has accumulated moisture and does not readily air/dry out. If we then stuff it into the std. garbage bag, it has no chance or airing/drying out while on the bike, either. The moist feathers make a wonderful habitat for mold, etc., which you then get to breathe, and/or the bag winds up getting musty. In any event, the more the moisture, the less the insulation. That is why Primaloft was developed at US Army expense, as it retains less moisture in the first place, transpires more of what moisture it has, and insulates better than down even if wet. It is hypo-allergenic and costs a LOT less than down, while packing into similar or smaller dimensions for a given insulative value: More bang for the buck. Google for Primaloft and see what you think.

I also recommend considering the thoughts of Ray Jardine et al on ultralight backpacking. I suspect that we motorcyclists carry too much stuff, making the bike so top-heavy that we compromise safety and handling. I'm reading "Long Way Round" and those guys wound up dropping their expensive bikes because they were overloaded and top heavy.

BTW, Big Agness makes a pretty good sleeping bag that puts its insulation on top, with a sleeve or pocket on the bottom to insert your self-inflating pad. They figure that when you lie on the insulation, it gets compressed and does not insulate very well, whereas the inflatable pad won't compress. So, they put the insulation where it does the most good, and the pocket underneath keeps the pad in place. The whole shebang takes up less space and weight when packed.

* Weigh yourself before bed and again when you get up. Lighter? The difference is the moisture you exhaled and transpired through your skin, and all that moisture has to go through the sleeping bag, or else is absorbed by the sleeping bag.

I've read Jardine's book. He's got some really good ideas in there. Some of them aren't so hot. Most of them are great for summer backpacking, but inappropriate for other activities... But that's a different topic. I've spent most of my adult life ski camping and climbing in Washington's Cascades and Olympics. It's about as soggy here as you'll find anywhere.... Plain and simple: I'll never buy another synthetic bag. My regular (most frequently used) bag is over 10 years old, and I've never had an issue - mold, must, soggy, wet, sweat, regrets... nuthin'.

Archived