IGNORED

Bad Combination - Alcohol/Darkness/No Helmet

bmurphypdx

Motorcyclist killed in crash

By HECTOR CASTRO

P-I REPORTER (Seattle)

A motorcyclist riding without a helmet crashed and later died from his injuries late Tuesday.

The accident happened just before midnight on state Route 162 near Orting in Pierce County, the Washington State Patrol reported.

The rider, Kerry D. Hammons, 48, of Orting, was westbound near Patterson Road when his Harley-Davidson left the road. Hammons was thrown from his bike and into a road sign.

He was taken to Good Samaritan Hospital in Puyallup. The Patrol reported that Hammon's alcohol consumption and his failure to wear a helmet likely contributed to his death.

Motorcycle riders are required to wear a helmet in Washington.

My first experience with death was as a teenager in the Coast Guard. A CPO in his late thirties, a hard-working, hard-drinking man, was riding home from the honky tonk one Saturday night in Long Beach, CA. He crested one of the numerous small hills in town doing about 60, according to the accident report. I doubt that he saw the semi stopped at a signal light more than a second or two before he rear-ended it.

One day he was there, the next he wasn't. Sobered me up, literally and figuratively. I've never ridden with more than a beer in me since.

this sort of thing accounts for way too many wrecks and deaths in the m/c community. a lady who lived up the street from me did the same thing as the Seattle man several years ago riding back less than 5 miles from the local dive. very sad for the daughter she left behind who seems to be following in her footsteps. free-will at work i guess, freedom to make bad choices as well as good.

tom collins

One day he was there, the next he wasn't.

To me, that's the troubling and heartbreaking element of death; you simply disappear. I find it incredible that folks who have lived longer than 25 years or so have not realized how fine a line it is between life and death, and how easy it is to cross. Very sad.

Archived