IGNORED

repair beent spoke

gasser

Just bought a 1971 CB750 and a couple of the spokes on the rear wheel are bent slightly. It seems reasonable that I could repair these with a little heat and a soft touch of a hammer. Any thoughts or tips?

lurker.gif

Heat? Hammer?

Result - Weakness and, more than likely, failure.

Replace the damaged spokes, true the wheel, ride on with no worries.

Heat? Hammer?

Result - Weakness and, more than likely, failure.

Replace the damaged spokes, true the wheel, ride on with no worries.

agree 100%..less hassle as well.

The search was extensive. I lived on ebay to no avail because I thought the bidding was out of line. Then, I swept through all the major cities and secondary on Craigslist. I found one in Kansas (I live in St Louis) The bike I found is a 1971 with only 10,400 miles. In great shape to ride expcept that I had to replace the tires immediately and it ran rough until I threw some gumout in the tank and ran it about 100 miles. Now it purrs. The only other issue right now is a slightly bent spoke but the wheel seems to track okay. I will probably have both wheels trued when I tear it down for a partial restoration. It really doesn't need a lot. The original owner had it until 2005, he died and his widow sold it to a guy who rode it 200 miles in two years, so I know the thing had a good home. I will restore this to look like the '72 I had in 1972 when I was in the Army. Did I mention that I got this bike for $2,000?

Archived