IGNORED

Where do you put your Stop-n-Go?

jaytee

You're gonna hate my answer, but here goes:

In the hole that's leaking air in your tire!

I just figured that'd soften the blow when I brought up my e52 again... smile.gif

I put mine in the trash, after multiple attempts to plug a leaking tire failed. The tire was finally plugged successfully with somebody else's "gooey string" kit, and I've since acquired a couple of these.

I put mine in the trash, after multiple attempts to plug a leaking tire failed. The tire was finally plugged successfully with somebody else's "gooey string" kit, and I've since acquired a couple of these.

+1

I never had much luck with one in the Steel Belted Radial Tires I run.

Jim cool.gif

You have touched on the one weak area of the ST. No "on bike" storage space. On my R1100RS I could keep the Stop-N-Go, a 12V compressor, extra light bulbs, extra fuel filter and a double sized tool kit under the seats and tail section. I put all that stuff in my tankbag now. I have had a hard time letting go of the security if having all that stuff with me with out external baggage on the bike. The big advantage of leaving that stuff in the tankbag is that it is ready to go on a trip and I don't have to pull off my camping gear off the seat to get to that stuff when traveling. I pack differently now that I only carry in 2 bag liners and leave the tankbag on the bike. Along with

my tools I keep my overnight bike cover in the tank bag, which keeps the tankbag soft to lay on for longer trips. This also leaves room for camera, maps, gloves, etc. in the tankbag. My choices tankbag is the BMW tankbag without the BMW Navigator.

Thats odd... the two tires I have plugged myself both failed first on the sticky-string and succeeded on the stop and go. The first was my bro-in-laws GSXR600 which sprung a nail leak on the freeway. He tried his sticky-string, then I came over with my stop and go and several torture devices later it was plugged. Used the CO2 cartriges and got enough air into it to head to the dealership for a new tire.

The second time was on my Warrior and its massive 240mm tire. I'd put in the sticky string and it would squirt it back out slowly. Quite nauseating to watch, actually. Tried a stop-n-go and it plugged right away. Both were steel-belted radials.

I assumed based on my previous experience that the stop-n-go was the way to deal with nail flats, which is 90% of all flats we seem to get here. Am I wrong?

JT

I assumed based on my previous experience that the stop-n-go was the way to deal with nail flats, which is 90% of all flats we seem to get here. Am I wrong?

My experience with SnG mirrored the review in MCN. The ragged ends of the steel belts after they've been reamed shear off the plug inside the tire and the plug falls into the tire.

After I got towed to a shop and replaced my tire, the tech handed me the broken part of the plug he found rattling around inside the tire.

Archived