IGNORED

K1200GT v R1200RT- To swap or not to swap

Survived-til-now

Survived-til-now

I'm just hoping that only k-series members read this section....

You know how you convinced yourself that your bike was best for a job, but then you go through a rough patch with maintenance issues, probably nothing to do with the series of bike, and you get that itch for a radical change.....

I have gone with r-series for all sorts of reasons but the best justification is this:

I do 45 miles down a freeway and 15 in urban conditions on my commute. The r-series is good for protection, fantastic in manouvreability (?), economic etc. I have turned my big "lardy R-series" through gaps that have left sports bikes fuming but the down side is that "45 miles at the end of the day up a freeway". At the speeds I do (no confessions here) I suffer vibration white-finger, loose fillings, knackered finger joints and sore feet.

My dealer loaned me a brand new K1200RS a few years back and I decided that it wasn't as good as the R-1150RT I had then because I couldn't use the full potential of speed and to be blunt it wasn't a patch on the handling in heavy traffic.

I am seriously thinking of swapping the 1200RT for a 1200GT and I am just thinking "but how would it cope in traffic, has the new steeering geometry changed the handling?"

I'd like to hear - and by the way, my other post on K-drives is absolutely genuine - my boss is thinking K-series and that's got me thinking.....

I'll have to sign off with a nom-de-plume or my mates on the R's will never speak to me again

Burt

Last July I sold my 06 RT for a 07 GT. I did not like the boxer engine's vibrations and flexibility. The GT is a fantastic machine. That engine is simply superb with power in any gear at any speed. You don't need to be too carefull about which gear you're in beacuse it doesn't matter. There is power available all the time. Handling, brakes, stability at speed are first class. The only negative is comfort. The suspension is stiffer (both ESA) seat harder and legroom limited. If you ride one up on good roads then its fine. My SO doesn't like it at all but I just love this bike.

In summary for one up riding go for the GT. In that case comfort is ok and the rest of the bike exceptional. For 2 up go with the RT.

I love my GT, but it's for the open road, not for traffic and congestion. You may want to down-size for less weight and more maneuverability. How about the new 800ST?

At the speeds I do (no confessions here) I suffer vibration white-finger, loose fillings, knackered finger joints and sore feet.

Burt

Not to state the obvious, but have you sync'd your throttle bodies? My RT used to put my right pinky to sleep after an hour of droning, even after it's first service at the dealer. I just did my 20,000kms service myself this spring which included syncing the throttle bodies and my tingling pinky is gone. The bike is very smooth at 4000rpm now which is where I usually cruise on the highway. Not trying to talk you out of a K bike but the R12s are pretty darn smooth when they're tuned. thumbsup.gif

As the poster above stated, what about a more street oriented commuter: K1200R, R1200R, Triumph Speed/Street triple, Buell of your choosing, Kawi Versys, Suzi Bandit

Like you say "I have turned my big "lardy R-series". I commute every day on my RT and find it very nimble for ripping around town. I never use my side cases, just the tank bag to haul my lunch. The RT may look big but lets face it, there aren't a lot of bikes that weigh 500lbs dry and can do what the RT does.

Love my KGT, an 06, and having just completed a 2500+ mile trip I have no regrets in the purchase. Even after a 30 minute traffic jam amongst Yellowstones Buffalo, and watching them run up from behind us, only slightly unnerving! Only time I wished I was on/in somehting else. like my cager!!

But a fully loaded KGT is top heavy, but once underway that is not an issue.

Loved my R1150RT, but have found the KGT to be an extremely fun ride! clap.gif

Survived-til-now

John

Good to hear from you.

I guess the limited responses have confirmed what I suspected. I was waiting for someone to say "you are out of date - the new steering geometry has solved all low speed handling and it is as good in traffic as the RT".

Sadly not! So I guess I have to keep the RT a bit longer. Trying to look on the bright side - now the masts have appeared for average speed cameras on the M11 I guess the traffic on my commute will now crawl at a congested 50 mph all the way and vibration will no longer be a problem.

Can you get shaver for the aux socket - for the beard that is going to grow....... and I did consider the new BMW coffee-maker.....

John

Good to hear from you.

I guess the limited responses have confirmed what I suspected. I was waiting for someone to say "you are out of date - the new steering geometry has solved all low speed handling and it is as good in traffic as the RT".

Sadly not! So I guess I have to keep the RT a bit longer. Trying to look on the bright side - now the masts have appeared for average speed cameras on the M11 I guess the traffic on my commute will now crawl at a congested 50 mph all the way and vibration will no longer be a problem.

Can you get shaver for the aux socket - for the beard that is going to grow....... and I did consider the new BMW coffee-maker.....

My comment was obviously rather flippant. I have tried the GT and it doesn't have any advantages over the RT at the speeds that I ride - up to 85-90 mph in the UK. Sure the GT power is intoxicating in straight line, but every article I've read says that the RT is superior through corners and at low speed. I personally found the GT much heavier through corners and more difficult to get on and off the centrestand.

I have the funds to buy a GT tomorrow (my wife and I have separate bank accounts!) - but I plan to keep the RT for at least 5 years/60,000 miles.

However if the bike made me as uncomfortable as it makes you.....

By the way the GT also begins to vibrate at about 90-95. The motor is not rubber-mounted like the old K1200RS/GT.

A friend of mine was recently given the choice of owning any 2 machines from the BMW range - he chose the R1200S for trackdays and a R1200RT.

"Survived..."

I was an "air-head" owner for many years before succumbing to the siren's call of the K bikes. Having just sold off a K1200RS, I am in the market for a new bike that hopefully will satisfy my changing riding style/patterns. Knowing I would ride locally vs. touring at a 80/20 ratio, I nonetheless thought I should test drive 3 different BMW models to help aid or validate my decision. I rode the R1200RT, K1200GT (next gen), and K1200LT.

In my case, the GT far surpasses both the other models for my specific purpose. The LT is just not reasonable for the day-to-day jaunts about town/ice cream runs, although it would be ideal for the 500 mile/day + excursion type application.

On the other hand, the RT, quite frankly, was very disappointing as far as the vibration, foot to shifter position, and overall performance. At idle the RT's windscreen shook to the extreme as one of those Milwaukee machines at idle. Increasing RPMs did abate the vibration to a greater extent but I found it difficult to get my toe onto the shifter with my low profile (BMW by the way) boots. I had to dig in and under for the shifter each and every time. Not good.

The ergos were about on the same par with the GT, although I did start to feel the ol' hip flexors barking after 15 miles or so.

I got off the RT and jumped on the GT right there at the dealer's lot , and there was (in my mind) no comparison. Better throttle response, little to no vibration issues, and I was able to get the boot under the shifter w/o any issues. Entering the same highway (using my same demo ride route) I accelerated with approximately the same linear effect to merge into traffic and then move over one lane to escape the truckers...on the RT I was going about 70MPH at that point, while by comparison, the GT was relaxing along at about 85! (mental mote- buy that radar detector I have been thinking about) Maybe inconsistencies in my driving, maybe not.

Well, in any event, and like many other responders on this forum, only a good test ride will make or break your decision. Personally, I am in process of wrapping up a deal on a new GT. Works for me>

thumbsup.gif Just went from a 2005 RT to a 2007 GT. Like the GT a lot. Find it more nimble, easier to handle at slow speeds, I found with the RT I tended to fall into a tight turn, whereas the GT pulls through much more vigorously. And of course amazing smooth power. Changed the w/shield to a Z-Technic V-Stream, big improvement! Will probably lower the foot pegs, feel a little cramped and at an angle where my arthritic knee acts up. Only did about 600 ks so far, but my RT is up for sale, great bike too but the GT is it for me.
"Survived..."

but I found it difficult to get my toe onto the shifter with my low profile (BMW by the way) boots. I had to dig in and under for the shifter each and every time. Not good.

Congrats on your new bike. The gear shifter is adjustable on the RT though.

Survived-til-now

Well I guess the answer is to demand a 1200GT for a test ride to work next time the 1200RT is in for a service.

I'll let you know what I decide but it won't be on this thread....

Thanks for the advice --- bye for now

Andy

Any of you guys that have switched. Do you miss a 2 cylinder? I thought I would always be a cruiser guy, loved my meanstreak and it's lumpy v-twin. Till I rode the RT. Jodie bought her Ninja, which is a parallel twin which I didn't think I'd like but I love that bike. I've ridden a few 4 cylinder bikes and other than the power, I just can't get excited about a 4 cylinder. thumbsup.gif A 4 cylinder just seems too smooth to me, it's like riding in our Lexus, everything happens quietly, surely and without fanfare. I love the way the RT shakes at idle, just like an old sporty, the way it clunks into gear every once in awhile, the vibes at 7000rpm that let me know the machine is alive, but let off and cruise all day at 4200rpm so smoothly. Just wondering if I'm missing something or am I just resigned to riding 2 cylinder bikes for the rest of my life. clap.gif

I don't miss my Sporty at all. My K has cruise control - do RT's have it yet?? I like my valve shims that never seem to need anything and the look of my bike compared to the RT.

The RT handles better than my older K - not sure about the new K vs the RT on that, but I prefer the K riding position.

And I like the way it roars when I nail it grin.gifwave.gif

I don't miss my Sporty at all. My K has cruise control - do RT's have it yet?? I like my valve shims that never seem to need anything and the look of my bike compared to the RT.

The RT handles better than my older K - not sure about the new K vs the RT on that, but I prefer the K riding position.

And I like the way it roars when I nail it grin.gifwave.gif

Yep we got cruise, all we're missing is 2 pistons. grin.gif

Yep we got cruise, all we're missing is 2 pistons.

... and a couple hundred more pounds and a longer wheel base (at least as compared to my '03 KRS)

It's me again, now with a different take on the GT. I am fortunate enough to have had the opportunity to drive both back to back for a couple of weeks. Put a few hundred k's on the GT. Then rode my R1200RT again. And decided to stick with the RT. My initial decision was to sell the RT. I am glad I did not. Found the GT too much work. The shift points were hard to get right, did not like the load change behaviour, off the gas and it dives. I guess the RT with the larger flywheel has more momentum. The seating position is more sporty on the GT. Sore wrists. Better wind protection on the RT, even with the regular w/shield. And I somehow like the sound of the twin better. So, now the GT is for sale. Facit: Try a longer test drive before making a decision, I am glad I did.

Ride safely.

Dietrich

You could try asking that question on the UK forum, where the guy has gone R1200RT --> K1200GT --> R1200RT!!

I'd be interested in reading that. Can you share the link?

I went from a 06 R1200RT to a 07 K1200r Sport. Better Bike in every way, Handling (slow or high speed) is more confidence inspiring, I don't have a Car anymore so use this Bike every Day commuting in and out of Edinburgh + going Nuts at the W/End. Only slight down side is it eats tyres, 5 Back and 3 Front in 8,000 Mile and the Tank range is only 150.

The performance is electrifying, and the noise is fabulous. Go for it!

I went from a 06 R1200RT to a 07 K1200r Sport. Better Bike in every way, Handling (slow or high speed) is more confidence inspiring, I don't have a Car anymore so use this Bike every Day commuting in and out of Edinburgh + going Nuts at the W/End. Only slight down side is it eats tyres, 5 Back and 3 Front in 8,000 Mile and the Tank range is only 150.

Tell me you typed this wrong...You're only getting 1,600 miles per rear tire????

Tell me you typed this wrong...You're only getting 1,600 miles per rear tire????

66286_motofeuer_org_vw.jpg

lmao.gif

I'm not one of those "how many miles can you get out of a Tyre".

BT14's excellent Tyre, but soft. Plus as I said I use this Bike every Day so don't take it down to the wear bars, I don't want to be commuting in a downpour with a set of iffy Tyres. As a matter of fact it's only the Commute makes them last so long, I think they're only about 7 mm Tread new, I'll get them down to 2 mm toot suit courtesy of them 160 Horses. As a matter of fact I think I was only getting 2,500 out of the Back on the R1200RT, and that's a bit of a Slug compared to the K.

I'm not one of those "how many miles can you get out of a Tyre".

BT14's excellent Tyre, but soft. Plus as I said I use this Bike every Day so don't take it down to the wear bars, I don't want to be commuting in a downpour with a set of iffy Tyres. As a matter of fact it's only the Commute makes them last so long, I think they're only about 7 mm Tread new, I'll get them down to 2 mm toot suit courtesy of them 160 Horses. As a matter of fact I think I was only getting 2,500 out of the Back on the R1200RT, and that's a bit of a Slug compared to the K.

Your roads must be made out of sandpaper. I'm only on my second set of tires on the RT but easily got 16,000kms (10,000mi) out of the OEM Z6s and I didn't run them down to the wear bars either, the front had quite a bit left but couldn't tell how much was left on the rear. I've got 10,000kms on the Conti Road Attacks and they will easily go the same 16,000kms or more. And I ride quite aggressively, regularly bouncing off the rev limiter and I don't have any chicken strips. confused.gif

I guess the difference is you're running true sport tires (BT014) vs my Sport Touring tires.

Solved the problem.

We have one of each... My S/O rides the GT (04) and I may upgrade her to the 2nd gen next season If they resolve all the glitches

John_in_Arizona

I went to the dealer in March of this year intent on riding home on an R1200RT, but instead returned home on a K1200GT. I rode the R12 first, then the K12 and was significantly enough impressed with the differences to go with the K. I'm 6'3" tall, and the riding positions were a wash. It was the smoothness of the K coupled with its power that swayed me initially. The longer wheel base is nice on the interstates cruising around 80 to 90 mph. I ride to work virtually every day, with a three to five minute puttering-in-line wait to enter a Federal installation. Slow speed riding is not a problem. U-turns and other parking lot challenges are easily manageable (I do regularly practice those skills). The K does take a bit of muscle to raise on the center stand, and I've had to replace the front brake pad and sensor wire due to an assembly error with the zip-tie. Two-up touring is smooth and comfortable; again periodically practicing skills with the wife helps. I average around 42 to 46 mpg. I've replaced the stock windscreen with an Aeroflow tall model, which has significantly reduced noise and wind issues (at 6'3", the stock screen just wasn't cutting it). If I had it to do all over again, I'd do it all over again. No regrets. The K is a great bike, whether on the interstate, the twisties, or in the city. thumbsup.gif

Just had the 12,000 mile service on my '07 GT. I changed the oil and filter myself and they checked all fluids, brakes, etc., and put it on the computer to see that all was functioning properly. They checked and cleaned the air filter. Total cost: $100. (My wallet will take a bigger hit at 18,000 miles when the valves get adjusted and the plugs are replaced.) So far this has been the best BMW I have owned (now that I have a Rick Mayer leather saddle.) thumbsup.gif

I recently bought a 2005 R1200ST. After putting about 6000 miles on it, i'm thinking i should have ridden a K model and tried that also. The vibration bothers my hands quite a bit even after having the 6000 mile service done. I wonder if i could make an even trade for a 2005 K1200S or K1200R?

Brian

You could try asking that question on the UK forum, where the guy has gone R1200RT --> K1200GT --> R1200RT!!

Or the other guy who sold his 1200RT a year ago and has owned 2 1200GS's, an '07 KGT, a Goldwing and a Triumph Scramber before purchasing another 1200RT.

I can only say, "Wow!"

I recently bought a 2005 R1200ST. After putting about 6000 miles on it, i'm thinking i should have ridden a K model and tried that also. The vibration bothers my hands quite a bit even after having the 6000 mile service done. I wonder if i could make an even trade for a 2005 K1200S or K1200R?

Brian

I had vibration issues with my bike, was thinking about upgrading. I had it into the dealer 3 times for tuneups and work to sort it out. Never came back any better. I just had the feeling that something was not correct. I made my own manometer and spent several hours adjusting valves to be spot on and then balanced the Throttle bodies.. eureka!!! It is now smooth running, before I didn't drive much above 75mph due to vibration. Now I often find myself flirting with triple digits it runs so smooth. Just because the dealer worked on it don't expect that he will take the 5-7 hrs it might take to dial it all in correctly.

The vibration is not really that bad, it just bothers my throttle hand after a while. I'm going to try the gel gloves and a throttle meister cruise control.

I took a 2006 K1200R for a 1/2 ride today and although it was smooth and fast, i didn't find it much better then my ST. I will be sticking with the ST for a while. I have done quite a few 400 mile days and was pretty comfortable, maybe i'm just looking for perfection. Either way it's always fun to test ride new bikes.

Just returned Friday from another 2k trip on my 06 KGT. Had the 12k service done and they upgraded the ECU software. Gone is the surging in 1,2 & 3 gears under 40 mph. Rode with the temps from 41 to mid 80's on the trip and am now looking for some heated gear (gerbings). grin.gif

The more miles I put on this bike the bigger the grin on my face!! clap.gif

Archived