IGNORED

Polishing out scratches

wacokid

Hello, I'm new here. I purchased a 2004 RT from a relative a few months ago. I bought it to replace a totaled GS, but that's another story. It looks like new, except that when the light hits it just right, you can see fine scratches all over the fairing. The previous owner is very particular about keeping his bikes clean, but apparently not about keeping the rag that he uses clean. Question 1: What's good for polishing out such scratches? Question 2: Is the paint on RTs a little soft? I've never seen a fairing scratched up like this before.

Paint is 2 stage clear over base. You will be polishing the clear coat only.

Depending on the depth of the scratches you can polish by hand or machine.

Use a quality product like the photo above.

As for soft maybe but keep in mind the paint is over abs plastic so it needs to be forgiving.

As for soft maybe but keep in mind the paint is over abs plastic so it needs to be forgiving.

That's a good point. My last full-fairing bike was fiberglass. No light scratches, but it did have some unsightly cracks.

Adam's Polishes Adam's Polishes

Clay Bar and Lubricant (Detail Spray) to get it clean, clean - pull a ton of dirt out of a brand NEW car or bike.

Revive Polish to restore paint condition. Add some Swirl & Haze Remover if it is REALLY ugly.

Butter Wax - easy to use, no white residue in cracks and crevices.

Detail Spray is such a spectacular lubricant that I spray it on a dirty plastic windshield, wipe it with a microfiber towel and DON'T scratch the plastic. The little 4 oz. sample bottle is perfect to carry on a motorcycle.

I'm a dealer for this stuff but there is almost zero profit in selling small quantities so just order it direct.

Archived