IGNORED

It won't be long now.....

Lone_RT_rider

Lone_RT_rider

It's been a long couple of months lately. I injured my leg on June 22, 2007. I hobbled around for a couple of weeks until I saw the doc on July 11th. Then, the surgery to repair the ACL and the long recovery time afterwards. It's been 5 weeks as of today since surgery. At the end of the day today I get to take off this leg brace and put it in the closet.... hopefully....forever. It wont be time to ride again for a couple of weeks, but it so close I can taste it.

The fall riding season is almost here and I am going to enjoy it like I haven't enjoyed a riding season in so many years. The fact I wasn't hurt worse than I was in that riding incident is a blessing. It speaks to me and tells me that I need to back off a bit and really get a feel for my riding in a larger perspective. I love strafing curves at warp speed, but I need to keep that small level of comfort there for those unplanned emergency's. My family has suffered from my inability to function after the surgery and I don't want that to happen again. So, I will ride again....but with a fresh set of eyes. These eyes will be wide open like a kid on Christmas morning. They will see not only the brightness of the incredible gift of being able to ride, but also the intense responsibility it bears with it not only to keep healthy for myself, but also those around me that not only need me, but also love me.

tick....tick....tick..... not long now.... *grin*

190073340-L.jpg

Congrats on reaching the light at the end of the tunnel. I'm assuming these thoughts at least contributed to the sale of the r1100s - right?

Silver Surfer/AKAButters

I went through that same self asssessment about ten years ago when I went down in the dirt on my left shoulder. It took an incredibly long time to heal, not like when we were younger, and gave me pause to rethink my entire riding strategy. I now like to leave that final 10-15% for the unforeseen.

Glad to hear you are getting back in the saddle soon, a little wiser. thumbsup.gif

I hope everything comes back together well for you. Don't get too Pissed at you physical terrorist. They have that effect on you !

Best wishes on your return. clap.gif

I collided with a deer at about 60mph. The result was five fractured ribs and a badly sprained shoulder. There was no doubt I was going to ride again but the 2-1/2 month recovery was hard to handle. I think I know what you're going through.

Lone_RT_rider
Congrats on reaching the light at the end of the tunnel. I'm assuming these thoughts at least contributed to the sale of the r1100s - right?

The descision to sell the R1100S actually was made before the accident at the time of the ralley in Asheville. I did 375 hard twisty miles on the R1100S that day with ChrisK. My knees literally hurt for a week. I have the peg lowering kit on the bike and the high bars, its just my knees. I decided that I was just waisting my money having it in the garage if it hurt so bad to ride it. That day was the final straw. I will go back to riding the R1100RT for a couple of years and then consider which direction I will go after that.

Shawn

Lone_RT_rider
Glad you are better and ready to mount up again shortly. Is there a certain set of exercises you can do as your health progresses?

My physical therapist set me up on a regiment of daily home excersizes that I do with dilligence. On top of that I do therapy onsite at the PT place twice a week. I push myself and work my range of motion constantly. Unlike most others, I praise my Physical therapist. Without him, I would never have come this far in 5 weeks. Most people are amazed at my progress. I refuse to not progress. smile.gif

Shawn

A speedy recovery Shawn! thumbsup.gif Just don't over-do-it too soon once you get that knee back. Listen to the PT (if your going to have one) - they have a good plan for ACL recovery.

Glad you are better and ready to mount up again shortly. Is there a certain set of exercises you can do as your health progresses?

My physical therapist set me up on a regiment of daily home excersizes that I do with dilligence. On top of that I do therapy onsite at the PT place twice a week. I push myself and work my range of motion constantly. Unlike most others, I praise my Physical therapist. Without him, I would never have come this far in 5 weeks. Most people are amazed at my progress. I refuse to not progress. smile.gif

Shawn

So, are you gonna actually help put your bike back together, or just sit around scarfing donuts & barking directions? grin.gif

Lone_RT_rider
So, are you gonna actually help put your bike back together, or just sit around scarfing donuts & barking directions? grin.gif

LOL... I will be helping as much as my leg allows Danny. grin.gifthumbsup.gif I have to re-align the clutch plate before you get here. I might work on that this weekend. It doesnt take that much effort. Besides, somebody has to stay in the mix or with you and Matt there, my RT might end up with no front fender and dual sport tires! eek.gifdopeslap.gif

Shawn

Joe Frickin' Friday
tick....tick....tick..... not long now.... *grin*

Boy, those words sound familiar... clap.gif

Glad you're feeling better and have something very good to look forward to. See you soon. thumbsup.gif

Shawn

Shawn,

My wife is a PT and says most patients don't/won't take the initiative they way you have. She says thumbsup.gif!

Archived