IGNORED

3rd IBR rear end failure

Bud

Update for you all from IBR Headquarters in Chesterfield.....

A 3rd Beemer has suffered a failed rear drive..... In 7th Place at the end of Leg One, Chris Sakala has been sidelined for the same reasons that sidelined Rob Nye and Glenn Pancoast.

Update for you all from IBR Headquarters in Chesterfield.....

A 3rd Beemer has suffered a failed rear drive..... In 7th Place at the end of Leg One, Chris Sakala has been sidelined for the same reasons that sidelined Rob Nye and Glenn Pancoast.

This is EXACTLY why I'll never participate in the IBR. It's sure to cause my final drive to fail.

Mike O

I heard this AM that Chris Sakala is here in Denver getting his FD replaced. BMW's final drive strikes again! Also heard that David Derrick had an accident yesterday near Rock Springs, WY and is out. He is not seriously injured, but the RT is toasty.

russell_bynum

BMW doesn't have a problem with final drive failures. BMW has never had a problem with final drive failures. Besides, BMW fixed their final drive problems with the new design on the R1200's.

You guys are all just whiners. It isn't really a problem...just ride your bikes.

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

BMW doesn't have a problem with final drive failures. BMW has never had a problem with final drive failures. Besides, BMW fixed their final drive problems with the new design on the R1200's.

You guys are all just whiners. It isn't really a problem...just ride your bikes.

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

you sure do like to repeat that. eek.gif

i'll start one:

bmw final drives have a problem.

since the 1100, bmw final drives have always had a problem.

they did not fix the problem in the 1200s.

pay attention to the man behind the curtain (he's telling the truth)

Yeah. Three failures represents less than half the BMWs entered in the IBR... so only a minority of bikes are affected by the problem.
Jim VonBaden

Don't forget the HD rear wheel failure. That must be a trend as well. tongue.gif

Geeze, you guys are like vultures! Every time someone says final drive the same people jump in gleefully! dopeslap.gif

Jim cool.gif

russell_bynum
Yeah. Three failures represents less than half the BMWs entered in the IBR... so only a minority of bikes are affected by the problem.

Right.

But are we saying that it is OK to expect this sort of failure rate? If so, why? The final drive in my car has over 300,000 miles on it and its still going strong. Come to think of it, I've put over 100,000 miles on 5 different cars and never had a diff fail. I know it does happen, but it's never happened to me, and I don't know anyone personally that's had it happen.

I personally experienced a final drive failure on my RT, and I know multiple people who have as well.

IMO, final drive failure should be a "once in a blue moon" type of thing, not a "handful of bikes EVERY IBR, and several people I know" type of thing.

Maybe my standards are just too high.

wrestleantares

Two were on new never need attending R1200's - that seems a bit more significant IMO.

Every time someone says final drive the same people jump in gleefully!
Well it's good to know that we can always count on the same defenders as well. wink.gif

FD problems also cursed the R100GS bikes. I know, had to haul mine back from Baja last year after the final drive failed..

FD problems also cursed the R100GS bikes. I know, had to haul mine back from Baja last year after the final drive failed..

"Cursed the R100GS bikes" I know a few people who have R100GS's and I have a R100R (same rear drive)with 236,000 miles on it and I have never heard of final drive problems.

Yes it can happen but there is no R100 of any kind that is not at least 12 years old.

BMW designs a great start to a bike. Good front end, grreat motors. Just seems the finish design group cannot get their act together. Long live your rear end!! dopeslap.giflmao.gif

Jim VonBaden
Every time someone says final drive the same people jump in gleefully!
Well it's good to know that we can always count on the same defenders as well. wink.gif

wave.gif That's me, see my Avatar?

Jim cool.gif

This is EXACTLY why I'll never participate in the IBR. It's sure to cause my final drive to fail.

Mike O

lmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

I'm soooo glad my mouth was empty when I read that!

Right.

But are we saying that it is OK to expect this sort of failure rate? If so, why? The final drive in my car has over 300,000 miles on it and its still going strong. Come to think of it, I've put over 100,000 miles on 5 different cars and never had a diff fail. I know it does happen, but it's never happened to me, and I don't know anyone personally that's had it happen.

I personally experienced a final drive failure on my RT, and I know multiple people who have as well.

IMO, final drive failure should be a "once in a blue moon" type of thing, not a "handful of bikes EVERY IBR, and several people I know" type of thing.

Maybe my standards are just too high.

I don't think your standards are too high. The occurrence of FD failures, IMO, are too high.

But I still ride one so what do I know. grin.gif

I read the subject line I had to laugh. All I could think was there are prolly way more than three failed rear ends amongst those many riders. dopeslap.gif

Butt, sadly there are three failed BMW final drives on late model bikes. bncry.gif That really sucks for those poor blokes. frown.gif

Don't forget the HD rear wheel failure. That must be a trend as well. tongue.gif

You're bringing up the subject of cracked rims on a BMW forum?

Archived