IGNORED

Thinking about a Suzuki SV650. What Do You Think?

RichEdwards

I'd like to add a light, inexpensive bike to the stable that would be windshield free and good for summer riding in Florida (and flickable enough for trips to the N. GA mountains.) Anybody have info on the Suzuki SV650?

I've owned a K4 SV650 naked that has been just about perfect since new. It's quicker and lighter than the RT, smoother running and requires zero maintenance other than oil + chain. It has served well at several track days too. A little under sprung and under damped in the front if you REALLY push hard, but can be fixed by shortening the springs/lengthening the spacers, and putting in higher viscosity fork oil.

I had one (a 2000 carburated model) for 3 years of trouble/worry free riding. It is a great machine! I did Route 66, Chicago to LA on it in Sept of 03'...6000 miles in 10 days without as much as a hickup. The 3 others with me (HD's)all had issues of one sort or another. Now I know why HD shops are close to the highway lmao.gif...no offense intended. I would buy another SV in a heartbeat, in fact I just found a low mile SVS for my son...he loves it too. Go to svrider.com lots of good info there, a bit squidly though. Good luck!

I'd like to add a light, inexpensive bike to the stable that would be windshield free and good for summer riding in Florida (and flickable enough for trips to the N. GA mountains.) Anybody have info on the Suzuki SV650?

Rich, I'd go with the Suzuki DL650 V Strom. After 24 years without a bike I bought one. Put 4K on it before I sold it to a youg guy from Chicago who flew down here gave me the cash got on it and rode it home.

Awesome bike, very flickable. I wadger to say the same or better than the SV. Cruise all day on the slab 80-90 mph. Great MPG 55-60. Fast and nimble. Plus when you get to the mountians you can ride that logging trail that's calling you. Same motor as well!

The only reason I sold mine was the RT I found kept calling my name. clap.gif

Great bike, but it kind of depends on your build a bit. If you are the long legged type, I found it to be too cramped. Felt like my knees where in my arm pits. But then I'm used to a tall GS with all kinds of leg room.

I don't know Rich, I think like me you’re too big for that bike. I could be wrong, have you sat on one yet? I think Christine (Mark's wife) has one if I'm not mistaken.She could tell you about it I'm sure. I have been looking at a used Honda 919 for a commuter bike.

I've got a SV1000 I've been trying to get rid of for a while. Seems like the 650 is a more popular size. I think the 1000 is a little bit bigger than the 650, and it's still a little bit too small for my 6'3" height. I also don't really like how much weight I have to put on my hands, which I think is related to being too tall and having to lean over more than usual to reach the clip-on bars. Going from the RT to the SV is a huge difference; the SV is much lighter, goes a bunch faster, but doesn't stop as well. The center of gravity is much, much lower also.

PS. My wife prefers to ride on the back of the RT. She says she doesn't have tattoos in the right places to ride on the back of the SV. blush.gif

I had a 2003 and hated it, you are way too tall for that bike. The front end was terrible, didn't have to push it all for that! I thought it was underpowered but I know others don't, what I should have got was an older CBR1000, I put that right...

Too small.

Believe it or not, I'd suggest a Rockster.

You can do the maintenance already.

It has the best of the Roadster and the S bike.

Upright seating, excellent suspension.

If BMW had made it in Black....

Besides, the Green and Black one will make Dan green w/envy. grin.gif

When I first rode a Rockster, I thought it was the best Roadster BMW had made.

Now, the new R 1200 version is great, but if you've never ridden a Rockster, try to find one. wave.gif

Rich, it's one of those perfect bikes you won't keep for a long time. I have ridden a half dozen different ones and spent probably a half dozen full days in the saddle. There's just nothing really wrong about the bike (except ergos for some people), but there's no soul in the thing. Watch how people talk about them, too. There's no longing or emotion associated with them.

I know that the crowd around here is very enamored with them, but I'm in the opposite camp and get a fair amount of ribbing for it.

It's the perfect girl everybody wants to date but nobody wants to marry.

I think Christine (Mark's wife) has one if I'm not mistaken.She could tell you about it I'm sure.

Actually, it's an FZ6. I've ridden both and I agree with the "you're too tall" comments. I rode one for a day at Road Atlanta and it's probably the most sore I have ever been after a ride. Of course that riding included holding on for deal life under full braking at the end of the mile ling back straight.

But if cheap, lightweight and windshield free is the only criteria, it's probably an OK choice for shorter trips around town. I've done 100+ mile days on the FZ6, and that was more than I wanted.

Rich, find a used Dakar. Awesome up in the mountains and while your there you can explore the dirt forest roads . It's much lighter than your GS. I almost havn't ridden my RT since I got mine. Much better for the summer heat and around town too.

87261497_1.jpg

Bags, amenities, backrest, excellent suspension. @$7k

And, no, I won't give you back your case of oil filters. tongue.gif

Just kidding, you can have the ones that are left. grin.gif

I had a carburated 2003 naked SV650. After it was stolen, I did not buy another. I could ride no more than 100 miles a day on the thing. The saddle was awful. A Corbin saddle and a bikini fairing would have made the bike fun, I think.

Find one for sale locally, and offer the vendor $20 for a half-hour test ride.

By all accounts it is a great second bike. I would have one now if it weren't for the ergos. Bought a new Bonneville instead - it's a blast, and definitely has soul.

I hate to agree with Wyn, but I loved my DL650. 14,000 miles in 15 months and it only needed Gas, Tires and Oil.

Toss on a madstad adjustable windshield bracket and the sargent seat, and maybe some stiffer fork springs and it's a good set up for pretty aggressive riding.

great motor! it's got a higher up powerband than the 650 V.

he's talking windshield free, which can de done on the V but is more inline with the naked sv. sounds like you're a big guy though. the strom might fit you better.

I had a carburated 2003 naked SV650. After it was stolen, I did not buy another. I could ride no more than 100 miles a day on the thing. The saddle was awful. A Corbin saddle and a bikini fairing would have made the bike fun, I think.

Find one for sale locally, and offer the vendor $20 for a half-hour test ride.

if someone offered me $20 to trash around on my bike for 30 minutes i'd laugh at them.

I hate to agree with Wyn, but I loved my DL650. 14,000 miles in 15 months and it only needed Gas, Tires and Oil.

Toss on a madstad adjustable windshield bracket and the sargent seat, and maybe some stiffer fork springs and it's a good set up for pretty aggressive riding.

Gee, thanks for hateing to agree with me Matt! wave.gif

russell_bynum

I like the SV a bunch. Specifcally, I prefer the standard "Naked" version to the "S" model. Laney had an early model (the carbed one with the round frame tubes) that I rode quite a bit. I didn't have any ergo issues, even at 6'4". That's a pretty personal thing though...some folks are very sensitive to ergos...I don't think I am. I also did 800 miles in day on my Tuono without any discomfort. smile.gif

The suspension isn't good. But you can fix that. Ohlins rear, and Race Tech front is a pretty common upgrade. Or go full-bore and swap in the front end from a GSXR600 to get full adjustability and really nice forks. If I were buying one as a track bike, I'd do that. For the street, I'd just go with the Race Tech bits.

Everything David said about the bike being soul-less is true. If that bothers you, then go look at the small Ducati Monster.

The FZ6 is probably a more versatile bike, but I really like the SV's powerplant.

Lone_RT_rider

The corbin and a small windscreen do make a world of difference. With the small screen you still get the airflow you want and need in the FL summers without being beat to death above 60 MPH. This is Rainy's with the JC Whitney topcase. smile.gif

158207338-L.jpg

Shawn

While I agree with you Jake that the Street Triple is gonna be a fantastic bike, it's interesting you chose that pic over this one:

080307side2.jpg

tongue.gif

russell_bynum
Why have two cylinders, when you can have three?

080307middle.jpg

You pay a bit more for that 3rd cylinder. smile.gif

If price isn't so much of an option, then yeah....Tuono, Speed Triple, Monster, or Brutale are all incredible bikes.

Lone_RT_rider
Why have two cylinders, when you can have three?

080307middle.jpg

You pay a bit more for that 3rd cylinder. smile.gif

If price isn't so much of an option, then yeah....Tuono, Speed Triple, Monster, or Brutale are all incredible bikes.

My co-worker picked up a 2006 Speed triple at the Chattanooga Triumph dealer for 7900 and change. Give them a call, they have some pretty sweet deals.

Shawn

russell_bynum

My co-worker picked up a 2006 Speed triple at the Chattanooga Triumph dealer for 7900 and change. Give them a call, they have some pretty sweet deals.

Right...and I got a sweet deal on my Tuono...with a bunch of really high-dollar add-ons installed.

IMO, used is always the way to go.

(But a used SV is always going to be cheaper than a used Tuono/S3/Brutale/Monster, all things being equal.)

As Bakerzdozen said...STREET Triple - there are no deals as there is a long line for them. I now return you to Rich's thread. (He'll find out about the wheelie thing on the way home from the dealer - I didn't want to spoil it for 'im) tongue.gif

Lone_RT_rider
Right...and I got a sweet deal on my Tuono...with a bunch of really high-dollar add-ons installed.

Russel, I failed to mention that was a late in the summer deal last year (about this time) and it was the price AS NEW with 0 miles. He actually purchased 2 at that price. He was hit by a truck in Brevard, NC and totalled the first one. I told him he should have got a better deal on the second one for volume buying... smile.gif

Shawn

Lone_RT_rider
the price AS NEW with 0 miles

Wow!

The same dealer quoted me a non-abs 2007 Tiger for 9495. Believe it... smile.gif

Shawn

As Bakerzdozen said...STREET Triple - there are no deals as there is a long line for them. I now return you to Rich's thread. (He'll find out about the wheelie thing on the way home from the dealer - I didn't want to spoil it for 'im) tongue.gif
Actually, one of the sales guys at Accolade (BMW of SLC) quoted my friend $6995 (that's $1000 below MSRP) for a Street Triple. We asked him literally 3 times on two different phone calls if that was right, and he flat out said "I could take more of your money if you'd like, but that is the price." When he went in, he actually fell in love with a 2006 Brutale they had there, so they lucked out in that regard. The sales manager joked (I assume) that he should have taken the him up on it because it would have given him a reason to fire his sales guy. crazy.gif

I personally think that the Street Triple 675 is gonna be a pretty amazing bike and is a VERY good competitor to an sv650 (especially at $7k). Give it a look if you've got the time.

Thanks for all the replies to this post. The new Triumph Street Triple 675 is one of the bikes I'm thinking about. Due at my dealer in October for just under $8,000:

nv54909_6_400.jpg

It looks like a sweet bike!

Thanks for all the replies to this post. The new Triumph Street Triple 675 is one of the bikes I'm thinking about. Due at my dealer in October for just under $8,000:

nv54909_6_400.jpg

It looks like a sweet bike!

Man I never thought I see you doing wheelies down St Rd 54 Rich. lmao.gif

Lone_RT_rider
the price AS NEW with 0 miles

Wow!

I just talked to my friend at work to clarify what he paid of his, and I was off by a bit. Not the great deal we thought, but not bad. He paid $8883 + SC title & taxes for each of his 2006 Speed triples. Also, he pointed me to towards their website. Apparently they are selling the 2007's at $8,739.00 right now. Not a bad price for something that lists at $9,995.00 I think.

Shawn

html>

Archived