IGNORED

Please verify Route calculation method

ElevenFifty

I believe all calculations for these routes should use 'Faster' options for us pavement riders - I have found that Mapquest doesn't always know when a road is paved so you can't trust the 'Avoid' options.

There are small anomolies in the route files depending on recalculation using 'Short' or 'Fast' options. These occur on:

-Route 153 near Beckley

-Route 212 near Marybill (the Short option over Grassy Creek road looks way cool, unless it's dirt and actually goes THROUGH Grassy Creek ... time for a GS!)

-Route 262 near Beesan

Also - There is a via point placement error on Route 262 - Rt 60/19 intersection is mapped wrong - loop to Jenky is error - the via is just north of the on ramp.

Don't mean to be anal about it - these rides look AWESOME! I just have an interest in how to make the calculation engine in Mapquest agree to the calculation engine in my GPS.

Yep, we know about the weird routing at the 19/60 interchange--just use common sense there. For the other "anomalies" try downloading the text versions and compare the directions there if you're not sure with your gdb files.

These are minor little jogs ... really doesn't matter much - BUT ... I've been reading a lot of threads that complain about the gps not taking folks where they want to go ... I believe the three primary causes are careless point placement, not having enough vias, and inconsistency of calculation method between Mapquest and the gps. The posted routes are, overall, excellent in that the differences between Fastest and Shortest calculation is minimal. I do think its wise, when sharing a route, to also share the calculation method ... for these routes, I believe it was 'Fastest'.

These are minor little jogs ... really doesn't matter much - BUT ... I've been reading a lot of threads that complain about the gps not taking folks where they want to go ... I believe the three primary causes are careless point placement, not having enough vias, and inconsistency of calculation method between Mapquest and the gps. The posted routes are, overall, excellent in that the differences between Fastest and Shortest calculation is minimal. I do think its wise, when sharing a route, to also share the calculation method ... for these routes, I believe it was 'Fastest'.

Fastest is correct.

Archived