IGNORED

Bike suggestion for my newly trained twins.

Silver Surfer/AKAButters

Silver Surfer/AKAButters

My twin boys(19)just completed the MSF last weekend and they are both driving me nuts for suggestions on what bike to buy. I started out at 18 on a Honda 350, but of course they'll have none of that, not with all their buds riding various strains of crotch rocket. My suggestions have included Triumph Street Triple (650 due out in October) 650 Vstrom, assorted dual sports in the 4 to 600cc range, 500 Ninjas, etc. They are looking at Buell lightning, KTM Super Dukes, GXRs, CBR, or just bout any liter+ sport bike. All bad choices in my view for a beginner bike and it scares the hell out of me. These two have absolutely no expereince outside of the MSF BRC, and I am trying to lure them toward a wise choice, but apparently none of my suggestions are very appealing to them So, what's out there that I may be overlooking that my turn their heads. Of course, I will be helping out with the purchase, so there's always that, I would just like he opportunity to led them to something more appropriate to their skill level without dropping the hammer if possible.

Any thoughts? What would you do.

Tough to beat peer pressure. I'm not sure I can help but I would have them looking at a used Multistrada 620. Others to consider would be the KTM 690 or even a DR650 which probably wouldn't fly in the face of peer pressure. The KTM and Duc are very cool bikes yet still tame enough for a beginner. I would not let my son by anything larger for his first street bike. Besides the danger, the insurance is already high enough!!

Good question, I don't have any kids, but I'll take a whack at it:

How much help on the purchase are you going to do? If you are 51% or more I'd say it's your choice. What about one of the newer Super-Motard types? I'm thinking DRZ-400SM, or KTM SM-690?

Silver Surfer/AKAButters

Thanks Hap. Yeah, i've been pushing the dual sports to no avail as yet. Once they figure out the insurance costs of the new, large, liter bikes, they may broaden their views a bit, and start considering clean used dual sports.

Silver Surfer/AKAButters
Good question, I don't have any kids, but I'll take a whack at it:

How much help on the purchase are you going to do? If you are 51% or more I'd say it's your choice. What about one of the newer Super-Motard types? I'm thinking DRZ-400SM, or KTM SM-690?

We looked at the KTM, too bad it was right next to the Super Duke. Next stop may be the Suzi dealer. I loved my DR.

How much are they going to pay? When I bought my first bike my folks were so pissed off at me all they could see was RED! My dad made it very clear, I was responsible for everything he wouldn't give me dime. If they have to pay up for the ride, maybe that will help broaden the motorcycle horizon, so to speak. Those damn Super-Dukes!

Davitt_Potter

Hey Dad,

Drop the hammer. Hard.

DO NOT LET THEM ON SPORT BIKES to start, especially if their "buds" are riding them. Dumbass begets dumbass. You remember your first car - you *had* to find out how fast it went.

Even a 600cc sport bike tops 140+ mph. In a hurry. And your boys have no idea what to do in that situation. A liter bike? Yikes. Double yikes.

So they ride something "uncool" to start. Tough, Dad helped fund the purchase. They're going to ride the p*ss out of 'em anyway, so when they dump it/slide it/drop it/crash it, dual sports or old used street standards are WAY cheaper to repair than all the plastic on a sport bike.

And God, insurance. I remember being 19 and buddies paying $250/mo. for insurance on their sportbikes. Me? My little Radian 600 didn't cost much, was still plenty fast, and didn't inspire me to play boy racer as much as the sportbike guys. I survived, but for the grace of God.

We all remember how it was to be young and bulletproof - help be their Kevlar a bit longer, is all.

The Buell City series is actually pretty OK except for the horrible riding position; torquey motor, doesn't need to be wrung out to get oomph. Not horribly fast.

The Suzuki ZZR600 has a hell of a motor, without being ridiculous, but it's not full sport, if you allow them on a "sport-looking" bike.

I'd say since you've got money and blood in the game, you get to choose. Tell them when they don't smash the bike or themselves, in 3 years they can trade it for something of their choosing if they're still into motorcycling.

Just my $.02, of course. Just hate to see your kids get hurt.

A 250 Ninja looks just like a 500 Ninja except for the one cyclinder. Better yet a good used bike is the way to start out and to avoid higher insurance and repair costs.

19 yr olds and 1000cc + Sport Bikes, not a good idea.

wave.gif

I started on a brand new 86 Honda shadow 500 . It was more than enough to get into trouble on. Although I was riding and racing dirt bikes since I was 8. After I sold the Shadow I wanted something different ,I went to the dealer .Ooh a Hurricane 1000cc or something of that size . Well I took it for a test ride wow 3rd gear close to 100mph front wheel up in the air . Headed back to the dealer bought a Shadow 700cc . I realized the 1000 was too much for my maturity level also the insurance was outrageous. Something like 5 times the cost of the Shadow. When I finally got rid of the shadow this year my insurance costs were $85/yr full coverage . If they have to pay for the insurance it may help decide for them. Good luck ,Dave

Hey Dad,

Drop the hammer. Hard.

DO NOT LET THEM ON SPORT BIKES to start, especially if their "buds" are riding them. Dumbass begets dumbass. You remember your first car - you *had* to find out how fast it went.

Even a 600cc sport bike tops 140+ mph. In a hurry. And your boys have no idea what to do in that situation.

(Snip...agree with all that was snipped as well.)

You asked for advice, so I guess you have tough skin. There are times when a kid needs a parent and not another friend.

If ever there was a time to suck it up and not worry whether or not your kids are going to like the decision, this is it.

NO riding time other than a safety course and you want them on a 600 or worse yet a 1000cc sport bike?? Have you ridden a modern sport bike lately? I sold my 600 worked out Kawasaki because I never, ever could put a leg over that bike and not do at least 100mph. Never. And I'm over 50! The bike totally sucks if you're not on a track or going way too fast on the streets. I guarantee at this stage they couldn't ride a 400cc street bike near to it's limits.

How about getting them a more reasonable bike and having them attend a good track school as a compromise? Or they could pay for that Hyabusa themselves and use that whole 30 days riding experience to really see what she's got.

Hey Dad,

Drop the hammer. Hard.

Even a 600cc sport bike tops 140+ mph. In a hurry. And your boys have no idea what to do in that situation. A liter bike? Yikes. Double yikes.

So they ride something "uncool" to start. Tough, Dad helped fund the purchase. They're going to ride the p*ss out of 'em anyway, so when they dump it/slide it/drop it/crash it, dual sports or old used street standards are WAY cheaper to repair than all the plastic on a sport bike.

And God, insurance. I remember being 19 and buddies paying $250/mo. for insurance on their sportbikes. Me? My little Radian 600 didn't cost much, was still plenty fast, and didn't inspire me to play boy racer as much as the sportbike guys. I survived, but for the grace of God.

We all remember how it was to be young and bulletproof - help be their Kevlar a bit longer, is all.

The Buell City series is actually pretty OK except for the horrible riding position; torquey motor, doesn't need to be wrung out to get oomph. Not horribly fast.

The Suzuki ZZR600 has a hell of a motor, without being ridiculous, but it's not full sport, if you allow them on a "sport-looking" bike.

I'd say since you've got money and blood in the game, you get to choose. Tell them when they don't smash the bike or themselves, in 3 years they can trade it for something of their choosing if they're still into motorcycling.

I agree. Dad pays, Dad gets to choose. Let them whine and get mocked by their peers. They'll get over it in about another 20 years.

One word-No-two- DUAL SPORT! It`s surprising how capable they are on the street.DR350,XR650L,KLR. For grins a XR650L can`t be beat.You can lean one way over with Gripsters on the street. Show them some dirt-let them slide the rear end around.I`m convinced it makes better riders of us.A BIG plus is insurance-I have a 21 yr old son on mine and it didn`t break the bank.

i like all the advice here about a proper starter bike.

Get them to go look at the Kawasaki Ninja 650R. It's a great bike for new riders, nice smooth engine.. not jerky, light.. handles pretty well and good riding position. The 250 and 500 are good bikes but outdated as hell.

all that AND it's got a relatively sporty look that may be a good compromise between what they want and what they should be riding... lots of aftermarket farkles to keep them busy for a long time too.

Silver Surfer/AKAButters

Thanks for all of the feedback! thumbsup.gif

After I wrote this last night, I got another call from the Senator from Tucson(that would be Rich Jr., smarter than everyone, and a tirelss and effective negotiator)where we further debated the merits of a Buell Lightning as a first bike. Per all of the wonderful support here for my position, and my gut, I finally shut him down. He's pissed, but he'll get over it. I'm sticking with the used dual sport or mini Ninja, period.

Hard to believe this is the same guy that was worried he was gonna pass the practical exam the day before.

Rich

I'm coming to the conversation a bit late, but I'll throw in another suggestion. I got my son a Suzuki SV650S. I had the same concerns about sport bikes that you and several others have voiced. The SV650S offers a much more beginner-friendly v-twin with a flat and usable torque curve that's not as likely to get a beginner in trouble as a 600 cc. or liter "sport bike."

The best news, from a teen's perspective, is that the SV has some street cred. It's got 650 cc. of displacement, credible sport styling, and enough performance to keep a new rider satisfied for quite a while. Best of all, it's a great bike--I've put a fair number of miles on my son's bike blush.gif and find it to be a good-handling, relatively comfortable motorcycle with excelent responsiveness. If you're not too far into this to consider the SV, I'd take a look.

Archived