IGNORED

Go Fast Naked

TEWKS

Just spotted this sweet thing on the Raptors & Rockets site. I have too much time on my hands I know. Sounds like this is going to be Kawasaki's answer to Suzuki's B-King. I've been saying for a while now, if an all out non restricted or "re-tuned for torque" UJM came out I would buy it. I guess 2008 is going to be a put up or shut up year for me.

2008 Kawasaki Z1400

08_Kawasaki_Z1400_01_r.jpg

2008 Suzuki B-King

629200717325.jpg

Pat

russell_bynum

I hope these aren't like all the other Japanese attempts at a naked bike...all bark and no bite.

The reason the Euros can sell us Tuonos, Monsters, Brutales, and Speed Triples at such inflated prices with very little dealer support and (in some cases) questionable reliability) is because every time the Japanese make a naked bike, it's like the Kawi Z1000...nice motor, but terrible frame and suspension.

If Suzuki ever came out with a naked based on the GSXR1000, I think they'd have trouble building them fast enough...especially if they offered a limited-edition model with Ohlins suspension. Likewise if Honda did it with the Fireblade, Yamaha with the R1, and Kawi with the ZX10.

I hope these aren't like all the other Japanese attempts at a naked bike...all bark and no bite.

The reason the Euros can sell us Tuonos, Monsters, Brutales, and Speed Triples at such inflated prices with very little dealer support and (in some cases) questionable reliability) is because every time the Japanese make a naked bike, it's like the Kawi Z1000...nice motor, but terrible frame and suspension.

If Suzuki ever came out with a naked based on the GSXR1000, I think they'd have trouble building them fast enough...especially if they offered a limited-edition model with Ohlins suspension. Likewise if Honda did it with the Fireblade, Yamaha with the R1, and Kawi with the ZX10.

I agree, the first Japan Inc. does is is water down the suspension. Next on the list of screw-ups is bargain suspension components. Sometimes they follow that with weak brakes, afterall if they took all the "go" out of it, why would a rider need any "stop?"

russell_bynum

I agree, the first Japan Inc. does is is water down the suspension. Next on the list of screw-ups is bargain suspension components. Sometimes they follow that with weak brakes, afterall if they took all the "go" out of it, why would a rider need any "stop?"

Right.

I mean...could there be anything more bad ass than a Gixxer 1K-based streetfigther? And I mean one really done right, like the Tuono was. Aprilia took a Mille Superbike, pulled the bodywork, removed the clip-ons, installed dirt bike bars on beautifully machined risers, then sculpted some gorgeous but spartan bodywork, and called it a day. No floppy frame. No detuned motor. No wimpy brakes. No 1980's suspension bits.

If Suzuki did that with a Gixxer 1K, that would just be mild-bogglingly good.

I've long been a fan of standards/UJMs/naked bikes. I miss my ZRX1100 quite often. I guess that's why I ride the VSTROM today.

Right.

I mean...could there be anything more bad ass than a Gixxer 1K-based streetfigther? And I mean one really done right, like the Tuono was. Aprilia took a Mille Superbike, pulled the bodywork, removed the clip-ons, installed dirt bike bars on beautifully machined risers, then sculpted some gorgeous but spartan bodywork, and called it a day. No floppy frame. No detuned motor. No wimpy brakes. No 1980's suspension bits.

If Suzuki did that with a Gixxer 1K, that would just be mild-bogglingly good.

That would be a wonderful beast! Alas, I doubt Japan, Inc. has the grit to do it.

russell_bynum
That would be a wonderful beast! Alas, I doubt Japan, Inc. has the grit to do it.

Grit is right. One of the moto mags did a comparo of all the euro naked bikes. They voted the Speed Triple "Most likley to get into a fistfight" or something like that. And they're right.

A Gixxer 1K naked would be a serial axe murderer at the helm of an Apache gunship. grin.gif

A Gixxer 1K naked would be a serial axe murderer at the helm of an Apache gunship. grin.gif

If that was the ad copy for the bike (and it lived up to the claim) I'd vote with my $$$!

russell_bynum

If that was the ad copy for the bike (and it lived up to the claim) I'd vote with my $$$!

Right.

The tagline could be "Hibachi THIS, Hans."

grin.gif

I have to say, the B-King was the most singularly ugly motorcycle I've ever had the misfortune of laying eyes upon. The tank is the size of a dinette table. I don't know why they'd bother with that bike and not make a stripped gsxr1K. My intent with my gixxer was always to streetfighter the thing, but I never got the chance before it was stolen. I did put tall bars on it, though, and I have to say, that bike would need to be detuned a little. It has so much capability but it really needs the committed riding position to control it. It was pretty scary with no weight on the front. But detune it a LITTLE, and don't detune the damn chassis, which was just sublime.

--sam

Ahhhh, with all these new models coming out, I have to say it’s good to be a motorcycle enthusiast!! Now I wish I had more money! bncry.gif

Archived