IGNORED

Extremely Frustrated - Don't know what to do...

wrestleantares

wrestleantares

Here's the problem:

Way back in June I had a charging/electrical problem on my LT. After messing with it for awhile (2 weeks) I decided it was a problem beyond what I was comfortable in repairing. So I called up an independent shop that was highly recommended and touted on this forum. I felt good at the people I had met there, and had dealt with them on a parts purchase before.

My bike went there in the end of June.

The first couple of weeks I called and was told they had not gotten to it yet, they were backed up. No problem, they had not promised me anything as far as speed to getting to the bike. I would have liked for them to at least try and diagnose, but I understand. So I wait awhile. I am getting slightly frustrated near the end of July and call them again (actually called July 31. I was told my bike would be on the lift the next day (8/1). I called them again the following Monday (the 31 was on a Wednesday). I hear again that they are behind and have not gotten to my bike yet.

I am very ticked off, but remain calm and polite. On 8/17 I email them a polite, but firm email.

No response.

I guess I know what I should do. - Take the trailer and go and pick up my bike and find somewhere else to take it. I hesitate because they are the closest to me (and are still about an hour away), and I put a lot of stock in advice, recommendations I receive on this group. I have tried not to be pushy and overbearing.

My wife - the pessimist/realist says that they probably screwed up something and are afraid to tell me.

Anyway, I have been without a bike for two months and it is killing me.

So you have lost two months of riding. Much more patient that I would have been.

I would pay them a visit in purpose and say you have asked others here on this board what you should do. Then ask them if they have even started and if not, why not. If the answer is backed up then ask which bikes are still ahead of you in line.

You may not be gotten to till December. dopeslap.gif

But, and this is a big but, if your wife is correct they will want you to leave with your bike ASAP.

lurker.gif

First thing to do is find a different mechanic who is willing to work on your bike in a timeframe you can accept. This is Plan B.

Then go to the shop where your bike is now. Acknowledge the open-endedness of your arrangement when you dropped off the bike and praise their work & competence. Ask for a date by which they'll start work and a date by which they'll have an idea of what's wrong. They won't be able to give you a "done" date until they know what's wrong, so don't ask yet. Negotiate if their date won't work for you, perhaps mentioning Plan B. Follow up with a different issue between those two dates, maybe a parts purchase. You're checking up on them without checking in. When they know what's wrong, ask for a date when you can pick it up. You're anxious to ride.

If they can't get to your bike soon enough for your tastes or they miss the dates they've set, go with Plan B. Tell them it's nothing personal, they're obviously very busy, too busy to take you on. You want to work with them and hopefully they won't be so busy next time.

In my experience, independent shops need a lot more handholding than large dealerships. It is important to set clear expectations and confirm that they are being met. They also tend to be more open to personal appeals and personal relationships have more of an impact on when things get done.

You don't have an electircal problem. You have two of them.

Electricity follows the path of least resistance. So do people. Independent shops will generally take the known, versus the unknown, every time. Routine maintenance is a known. Replacing/rebuilding a gearbox is a known. Chasing down an electrical gremlin is an unknown. Without any pressure on them to TAKE that path, it will get bypassed every time in favor of the jobs they KNOW will turn out with a specific result and a specific profit.

Leikam has some good suggestions. Go back and agree to some specific terms. Your bike WILL be on the lift by a set date. Go back a day or two later and if you get the same "we've been busy" excuse, take the bike. They'll probably be glad to see it go. From your explanation, I doubt they really wanted the job in the first place, but took it just in case things got slow. They didn't. And your bike sat.

Take action. Be courteous as you may need their mechancial skills at a future date. But take action.

wrestleantares

Well,

I guess I should have called them TODAY before I posted this. It actually got up on the lift and he hopes to have some info for me in the next day or two.

wrestleantares
So you have lost two months of riding. Much more patient that I would have been.

I do HAVE a bike, and have ridden some. But it is a cruiser that I hate! I had intended to have it sold already, but that plan was waylaid.

BUT, this weekend I may get rid of the cruiser and pick up a new R12GS. Haven't fully decided yet, but it is looking pretty positive.

You are much more patient than I. I would have expected it to be on a lift within 2 weeks. I also would have asked for a date when I dropped it off, and given them 1 more week. This has gone on 4 weeks longer that it should ever have. I would have retrieved the bike 3-4 weeks ago and taken it somewhere else. A GOOD shop tells their customers when they are backlogged, and will tell you when they expect to get to the bike.

This shop might have a good reputation, but I'm not improssed after listening to your story. 8 weeks? IF I was baglogged by a dozen or more bikes, I'd tell customers not ot drop them off in the first place or hire some more people. eek.gif

wrestleantares
You are much more patient than I.

I am not usually. I have other concerns. I got a whole new department placed under me July 1. It was taken away from someone that drove it into the ground. It came with financial problems, poor employees, and a backlog of clients awaiting services. The MC took a lower priority.

This shop might have a good reputation, but I'm not improssed after listening to your story. 8 weeks? IF I was baglogged by a dozen or more bikes, I'd tell customers not ot drop them off in the first place or hire some more people. eek.gif

Actually they just did hire more help/new mechanic. That also added to my patience factor.

Still, you're probably right.

Its posts like these that make me glad that I have multiple motorcycles in the garage. My plan C would to get another one while this one is down, maybe two as maintenance will need to be done more often on a new bike.

More is always better. clap.gif

wrestleantares
Its posts like these that make me glad that I have multiple motorcycles in the garage. My plan C would to get another one while this one is down, maybe two as maintenance will need to be done more often on a new bike.

More is always better. clap.gif

I had three previously, but had just sold one, and the Cruiser I still do have is a crappy bike. I have ridden it, and just finished it for sale purposes. It is going out the door soon.

So, I think I will be back to two bikes I like to ride soon.

wrestleantares

I've been swamped at work so have had to just negotiate by email (dealer is not close).

I think I have a deal now and will see if I can go Friday.

Well, that explains a lot. Tough to do when not face-to-face with money in hand. The work thing kinda makes it tough too, why can't we just ride without having to pay for anything? grin.gif

Archived