IGNORED

R1100RT VS K1200GT

2wheelunit

I've been riding a 1998 R1100RT for six years and it's now time to update and upgrade. I've been salivating over the K1200GT and it's extra power but was wondering if the extra weight reduces the riding enjoyability in the twisties. My riding goal is to stay off the interstates.

Can anyone answer from their own personal experience?

wrestleantares

This is a tough one, at least IMO.

I PERSONALLY, would rather have your RT (or an 1150) in the twisties than the NEW GT. I have not ridden a 1200RT so cannot comment on it (if that bike is in the running for you).

The GT, IMO, is just too much power. The weight did not bother me as my regular ride is an LT, but the bike itself did not feel as nimble as my RT experience, it has too much power, and for me, it would have to have had ergonomic adjustments.

NOTE: My GT experience was very limited (couple hundred miles) so not really enough time to get super comfortable - and it was someone elses so I wasn't out to ride it hard.

I traded my R1150RT for a K1200GT. They weigh about the same. The RT was prettier. Other than that, the GT is a MUCH better bike. The power is one of the reasons that it's better (and not the only reason.)

I'd schedule a test ride of both and see which one "talks" to you. " lighter" and "more nimble" can be very subjective. If you're more used ot wide bars, you might find a RT much better handling. But if you're more used ot clip-ons the GT might feel better. The GT does have a longer wheelbase, but otherwise I haven't had an opportunity to test ride one myself. I wanted another boxer, and my wife liked the seat and looks of the RT better.

I traded my R1150RT for a K1200GT. They weigh about the same. The RT was prettier. Other than that, the GT is a MUCH better bike. The power is one of the reasons that it's better (and not the only reason.)

Rich, not picking on you, but where do you need/use that extra power. My R1100RT, which I ride solo, seems to have all the power I could practically use. When I drop a gear and crank it up, it is gone...heck, I seldom drop a gear to pass and it is still gone in a flash. I've yet to have a passing situation that it doesn't handle with power and speed to spare. As for elevation, about the same. It has all the power I need and then some.

Curious minds want to know?

Lets_Play_Two
Rich, not picking on you, but where do you need/use that extra power. My R1100RT, which I ride solo, seems to have all the power I could practically use. When I drop a gear and crank it up, it is gone...heck, I seldom drop a gear to pass and it is still gone in a flash. I've yet to have a passing situation that it doesn't handle with power and speed to spare. As for elevation, about the same. It has all the power I need and then some.

I would ask, just being the devil's advocate, why then do you need all the power of the RT? My wife has a 650GS which will go around any car on the highway without wasting time. I went from an 1150RT to the GT. The GT is quicker, faster and smoother than the RT. I get more grins from riding the GT. Of course that is simply my opinion, but the "why do you need all that power" question seems to be an excuse for riding a lower powered motorcycle. grin.gifgrin.gif None of us NEED all the power we have in our motorcycles or our cars. It is psychic benefit, not practical results, IMHO. In the end you have to ride them and then decide which one calls your name....later is when we "justify" the practicality of our emotional decision. Just MHO grin.gif

Eddd,

I "need" more power like my wife & grandson "need" a doughnut. Could I live a happy life without it? Probably, but would I want to?

When 2-up making passes on 2 lane roads, I'll take that extra power. The quicker I can accelerate, the slower I need to go to make a pass safely. When I had my ZX9R (closer to the GT in power to weight ratio) I'd go from 55mph to 90mph by the time I reached the cars front fender and already rolling off the throttle. My RT doesn't come close... but it's better than my 1150R.

You guys are making me miss my liter bike. bncry.gif

Well, that's probably my fault. smirk.gif

When I would pass, riding 2 up on the GT, the 1150 couldn't keep up w/us, ridden solo.

"Need" is subjective, how about substituting the phrase, "exposure to risk whilst overtaking vehicles".

Personally, I like to minimize my exposure to risk.

BTW. There isn't a problem w/him keeping up anymore. crazy.gif

It's vice versa. grin.gifdopeslap.gif

The K bikes are smoother.

The new R 1200 RT is much quicker in the 1/4 mile than the previous generations and much closer to previous generation K bikes.

I rode an R 1100 for years. Great bike.

But not up with the K bikes in certain road situationss.

Best wishes.

My riding goal is to stay off the interstates.

Can anyone answer from their own personal experience?

I rode an 1100RT for 3 years an now have a 1200RT. I test-rode a K1200GT once and found it to be scary-powerful, too much motor for me and hard to modulate the throttle (but maybe I could master it). Also, the 3.5-inch longer wheelbase felt like 8 inches longer to me and makes for a big turning circle and cumbersome parking lot handling. But what a bike!

Archived