IGNORED

Radio removal

rickman125

I am trying to get the radio out of my 96 RT. I am using 4 wires the size of the holes at either end of the radio. I can feel a little click when the wires are pushed in but the radio will not come out. Is there another way to do this? Or am I doing it wrong.

Wires won't do it. You need something stiff. The removal tools are cheap, though. Any car stereo place should have them. They need to be inserted to the click and then pushed toward the outside, i.e., away from each other (IIRC, if not push 'em toward each other) to release the locking tabs that hold the radio in the sleeve.

A Ford or Mazda radio removal tool will work. That's what I have used sucessfully. I completely removed my radio, so I no longer need them. PM me if you would like me to send them to you.

That said, the wires your are using should still work as long as you can leave them pushed in past the "click" while lifting the unit from some other point.

I found that the radio was very stiff in the carrier. Already had tupperware off for other tasks so removed radio carrier and gently used flat screwdriver to prise it out. All back in and still works.

Archived