IGNORED

valve covers and turn signal housings

matthew

Hey all,

I'd like to perfect the exterior of the bike--this means taking care of two turn signal housings which are a little scuffed and two valve covers which are scuffed--is the only way to make these perfect once again to buy new ones?

Where would be the best place to buy these parts (dumb question? here?).

Thanks for the help,

Matthew

Jerry Johnston

I had a local auto paint store match my paint and put it in a spray can. I had to repaint my right side mirror do to a tip over I was careful to give it several coats of paint with light sanding in-between and when finished it looks identical to the left side. It was a metalic silver pearl color. Cost was approx $20 for a pint with one spray can which they'll refill when needed (at add.charge). I also repainted the valve covers with a silver wheel paint which you can get anywhere. The valve covers don't match the oem which is more of a pewter color but I didn't care. There was someone on this site that found a perfect match for the covers, you might check the search engine - it was about six months ago.

Duplicolor has an OEM silver that matches the BMW valve covers. I had a scratch on the right side cover, a little light sanding to feather it out and I shot the paint, can't tell it from original. The clerk at Autozone was able to help by looking up the bike by year and got the color. It wasn't the #1615 listed in the parts listing thread. As for stock colors, look on your fuse box cover, there should be a paint code there, any autoparts store should be able to sell touch up paint to match it-it's the same as BMW auto colors. grin.gif

I bought my bike used. The guy said it had never been down, but I later discovered the left mirror had been repainted. It was good enough to fool me when I bought the bike, but now it bugs me because I see the difference. Last time I checked, you have to buy the whole mirror assembly for about $350. Ouch.

Man, those are some great looking valve covers. Is this something that most any body shop can do? I'm looking into the place you mentioned--Wheel Techniques. Perhaps I'll send them in over the winter to get done.

Think they can do my turn signal assemblies as well?

Thanks again,

Matthew

Man, those are some great looking valve covers. Is this something that most any body shop can do? I'm looking into the place you mentioned--Wheel Techniques. Perhaps I'll send them in over the winter to get done.

Think they can do my turn signal assemblies as well?

Thanks again,

Matthew

Body shops don't typically do powder coating. Look for a powder coater or a wheel repair place that does powder coating in house.

As far as paint, for the mirrors or other parts you need painted... find a painter who uses the correct BMW paint (Glasuit) and you won't need to worry about paint matching. When I had my helmet and saddle bag lids painted I sent them to PRISM Motorcycle Painting. John had me get him the paint code off my bike so he could buy the correct paint. When I got my parts back they were a perfect match to the factory paint. Only difference you'll see is that the factory paint has some orange peel in the finish, but John wet sands his work to a mirror finish.

Where would be the best place to buy these parts
If you are in no hurry, Chicago BMW offers the best prices.

BWT, the only "dumb question" is an un-asked one!

Archived