IGNORED

1200 ST rear suspension adjusting question

brianbmw

Are there any suspension experts out there. I'm just trying to get mine set up for my weight 170lbs. Right now it seems stiff. When i'm adjusting should i go one click and then try, or maybe 2 clicks. I'm just not sure how much to adjust before i try it. Also is there a baseline to start from? The manual mentions a 187lb rider but i don't know how many clicks less i should be.

If you have the standard BMW rear shock there should be a series of gradation marks on the shock behind big plastic adjuster knob. If you fully turn the adjuster to the low setting the standard setting is clearly marked (a red line) about half way in. I am a bit heavier than you (190lbs) and just tend to use the standard BMW setting unless I am carrying panniers when I turn another 3 turns towards the high setting.

I have found the bike quite softly sprung on anything less than the standard setting. When fully loaded with rider and panniers even standard is too soft: I recently found the rear was squatting down too much at speed on the German Autobahn leading to the front feeling light and starting to weave slightly around 110mph. Ride was far more composed on a harder shock setting.

Well, after carefully searching, I couldn't find any copyright information on the following ( grin.gif ) information, but this is what I got from Phil (1bmwfan):

ONE UP

Spring Preload: + 20 clicks from minimum

Damping Screw: -1-3/4 turns from maximum

Tire Pressures: 36 Front, 38 Rear

ONE UP W/ LUGGAGE

Spring Preload: + 25 clicks from minimum

Damping Screw: -1-1/2 turns from maximum

Tire Pressures: 36 Front, 38 Rear

TWO UP

Spring Preload: + 30 clicks from minimum

Damping Screw: -1 turn from maximum

Tire Pressures: 38 Front, 40 Rear

TWO UP W/ LUGGAGE

Spring Preload: + 35 clicks from minimum

Damping Screw: -3/4 turn from maximum

Tire Pressures: 40 Front, 42 Rear

I found that that info is a great starting point. I really hope Phil doesn't mind me posting it (if so, sorry man). I know he just went out and rode the thing until he arrived at these numbers. If you're wanting to adjust things, I would guess it depends on how sensitive that you are. If you're really picky about things, I'd try one click on the preload and 1/4 turn on the dampening and see how that changes things.

Thanks for posting Phil's settings. I've been wondering where to start. I'm a smudge over 140 lbs., but I carry lots of junk in my side cases and tank bag I hope I'll never need. It's the snowblower theory. Buy a snowblower and it won't snow: carry a bunch of tools and you won't breakdown. wink.gif

Firefight911

Thanks for posting this Matt!!

Since our computer died last week, I can't access my hard drive. Waiting for the new one to show up.

I am relegated to the work computer for access and Jamie's work laptop that she brings home after work when I am home.

Just an FYI, these settings were derived from riding around for a 205 lb. rider (weight before riding gear).

Hope these help out to get you started.

Does this mean that after 3000++ posts, I actually contributed something worthwhile???? tongue.giflmao.giftongue.giflmao.gif

Just an FYI, these settings were derived from riding around for a 205 lb. rider (weight before riding gear).

Hope these help out to get you started.

Does this mean that after 3000++ posts, I actually contributed something worthwhile????

Yup - I suddenly don't feel so bad about my weight. tongue.gif

Archived