IGNORED

I'm in love with a machine

Jones

I've ridden bikes my whole adult life. Had some fast ones too. Took a leap of faith a while ago and marched into a BMW dealership and bought a shiny silver 07 R1200RT right on the spot (mid-life crisis thing...) I was determined to break-in a motorcycle CORRECTLY for once and bit my lip for a sucky 675 miles. I held her back but did not lug her. No mistaking that this one wanted to go! I let everything seat in real peaceful like. Kept my eye on the tach like a hawk and about hoarked from non-stop throttle motion up and down the power-band. The 600 mile service came and went, thank God.

It had to sit for a week until another ride. New oil in the jugs. Engine warm and smooth. Going down a Missouri two lane and had to pass a 40 mph farm truck. Pulled around and dropped a gear or so and the tach was at about 5500. Quickly rolled on the throttle and OH DEAR LORD!

Just trying to have a good time before the big dirt nap

I must say I really like that, I may have to borrow it a time or two if you don't mind.......

Stan

St0nkingByte
...Quickly rolled on the throttle and OH DEAR LORD!

Isn't that something? The amount of power the motor puts out at 6k and above is just unbelievable. There's something about the way it feels, maybe its the boxer motor, I haven't felt it on another bike quite the same. Sure you have to downshift to tap into it for real, you can't just twist and go in any gear like you might with a 4 cylinder engine but still its amazing. Boggles my mind when people say they actually need more power than the RT puts out. grin.gif

Francois_Dumas

And the more sad it is that the French government now forces manufacturers to dumb down all motor cycles to 100 HP maximum, killing the characteristics of many an engine ! frown.giffrown.giffrown.gif

I've ridden bikes my whole adult life. Had some fast ones too. Took a leap of faith a while ago and marched into a BMW dealership and bought a shiny silver 07 R1200RT right on the spot (mid-life crisis thing...) I was determined to break-in a motorcycle CORRECTLY for once and bit my lip for a sucky 675 miles. I held her back but did not lug her. No mistaking that this one wanted to go! I let everything seat in real peaceful like. Kept my eye on the tach like a hawk and about hoarked from non-stop throttle motion up and down the power-band. The 600 mile service came and went, thank God.

It had to sit for a week until another ride. New oil in the jugs. Engine warm and smooth. Going down a Missouri two lane and had to pass a 40 mph farm truck. Pulled around and dropped a gear or so and the tach was at about 5500. Quickly rolled on the throttle and OH DEAR LORD!

Tom, Welcome! Now you know the secret to life. To bad you missed out for all those years! Don't worry though, you'll make it up and have fun here with us too!! clap.gif

Pretty much the same reaction I had a few years ago with my '05 RT. The best thing about it is that the feeling lasts year after year. It's a very good thing that BMW manufactures many of these units; spreading the love around. We have a saying in French Canada for descibing real acceleration: "Attache ta tuque" - " Tie up your toque"

Rod

Archived