IGNORED

Knock question

texasaggie97

texasaggie97

I want to see what I can do about the knock I am hearing. Here is the details:

In 6th gear when you hit the gas the bike feels great in the acceleration but you can hear loud clicking that get louder and louder. Can not feel it in the performance but just does not sound good. I always use premium gas and I run z max in the fuel ever other oil change. I use Amsoil for all the fluids. Just want to see what I can do to improve the sound. I also do the valves and twin max after every oil change. I enjoy is so I know I do not have to but I love to work on the bike. I will say most of the time I do not have to make any any adjustments. Thanks for any feed back.

ericfoerster

Todd, is it more of a ping, or is a knock like metal to metal? Can you feel it?

I think it's just that Cali gas...pinging. You might have some carbon building up as well. Try running some Sea Foam through it and then change your oil and plugs.

Ride it like you stole it with the Sea Foam in it.

What is the year of the bike? I had the same type of problem with my 02 R1150RT with 68,000 miles, having ran Amzoil from break in. The knocking was a rod bearing. I have the jugs off the bike but have yet to pull the engine to split the cases. There is about 1/16" slop in the bearing from what I can feel with the jugs off. Keep an eye on your oil for metal flakes. I had just change oil before the falure and had the old oil filter, cut it open and found no signs of metal, the filter with only about 600 miles was full of flakes as was the oil that I drained out. Some thing to watch.

What RPM are you getting on it hard at? If your RPM's are too low you are probably lugging the engine and you're hearing spark knock/detonation. Try getting on the throttle hard when you are above 4K in 6th and see if it still happens. tongue.gif

texasaggie97

eric,

It sounds like the valves are clicking loudly. It does not happen all the time but when you really get on it it just has a valve click that does not sound normal. Eric I just changed the oil and the plugs a month ago. I will do the sea foam and see what happens.

Thanks Bro

texasaggie97

Nothing I agree I just wanted to see if the bike would perform better. I just put the Amsoil in a month ago and I wanted to see if the knocking would stop. So far no luck but it seems to test well.

phoenixtexas

Hello from Sherman, TX. Your noise is coming from a lean running condition that makes the engine ping under load. I used a Techlusion to cure the same problem on my former 1996 R1100R, and have one on my '03 R1100S.

Archived