IGNORED

travel trunks

stubblejumper

stubblejumper

Does anyone with an r1200st use a travel trunk in addition to the factory hard suitcases?I am deciding whether to go with either the 28 liter or the 49 liter travel trunk for my new r1200st.I am not concerned with looks,rather with how they may effect the handling or any pros,cons of each.

I ordered the 49l top case in order to have a backrest for my wife - and it seemed silly to pay extra for the backrest on the (already expensive) smaller trunk. Having put nearly 18,000 happy miles on my RT, I leave the trunk on all the time - but only mount the saddlebags when on an overnight trip. Since the bags are the widest point on the RT (2" wider than a GoldWing's bags), it's much easier to maneouver the bike in traffic as well as in & out of my garage.

I haven't noticed any handling penalty with the trunk, just lots of convenient storage.

Tom

You may want to consider a Givi trunk. I have the 52 liter Givi and am very happy with it. I was ooroginally going to only use it for long trips but I hardly hotice it's there so I leave it on all the time. It's about half the price of the BMW 49 liter.

I have a vague remembrance that the 49 liter trunk either wouldn't fit on an ST or wasn't recommended by BMW. I seem to recall my dealer telling me that for the ST you could only get the smaller one. I am not certain of this at all and may well be wrong.

stubblejumper

I have a vague remembrance that the 49 liter trunk either wouldn't fit on an ST or wasn't recommended by BMW.

What I have been told is that BMW does not recommend that the 49liter case be used on the ST because supposedly the weight limit for the case exceeds the suggested weight limit for the ST luggage rack.According to my dealer it is simply a matter of using common sense not to load the 49liter case up with heavy objects.I want to use it for raingear and lighter gear like dirty clothing.

I normally do not pack anything in my top box. I use it for a place to store my helmet and riding gear when I stop for lunch or what ever. This may change on my next long trip because I would like to pack my gear without the use of a duffle bag across the pillion seat.

Archived