IGNORED

Highway pegs/Elf-Pegs

Jerry M

I am thinking of installing highway pegs on my '96 1100RT.

A product called Elf-Pegs looks interesting.

Any opinions out there? Road clearance on turns, removal of spark plug protectors to install the pegs, etc.

Other Highway pegs that people have tried?

Regards,

Jerry

Joe Frickin' Friday
I am thinking of installing highway pegs on my '96 1100RT.

A product called Elf-Pegs looks interesting.

Any opinions out there? Road clearance on turns, removal of spark plug protectors to install the pegs, etc.

Other Highway pegs that people have tried?

Regards,

Jerry

Got elf pegs in '02 for my '99 RT. Love 'em. Folded up, there's no problem with ground clearance. Don't know if there's a ground clearance issue on hard turns cuz I usually have them folded up when I hit the twisties. But if they're extended for some reason, the hinge works in the correct direction so that the road will just push them closed if they do touch down.

I like the fact that they fold up so discreetly when not in use.

Maintenance is a bit more work: rather than just popping off the spark plug cover, you have to loosen two screws to release the whole elf peg assembly. For some unfathomable reason, the designer chose standard screws instead of metric, so you need to toss an extra allen wrench in the glovebox just for these. Those are minor gripes; on the whole, I have no regrets and would get htem again.

Here's a different approach - brackets are from Hawk and the pegs are Kuryakin. A little custom work where they fit together and these are adjustable in a three+ inch circle. I've had them on the bike for around 25K ... seldom used but much appreciated.

The Hawk brackets compensate for the cylinder offset, so both feet up is more 'cruiser-like'. These pegs are a little pricey but were leftovers from my cruiser days.

913506-pegs.jpg.27ac7c8628f07195390b13e663044a86.jpg

Hey Ken, Will my elf pegs that fit my '02' work on a '96'? I've got some I need to sell.

Mike

Yes. US models '96 to '03 excluding the chromeheads are interchangable.
For some unfathomable reason, the designer chose standard screws instead of metric, so you need to toss an extra allen wrench in the glovebox just for these.

This is not the case on my "Sparky" twin-spark models, which leads me to suspect it may no longer be the case for the single-spark models any more. Other than that, I agree with everything you said. They're great for the occasional change of position on a long straightaway.

Archived