IGNORED

New RT Owner ??

tamk435

OK!!

I’m new to the BMW world, so bear with me.

I just purchased a 96 R1100RT with 26600 miles on her. The bike is flawless cosmetically and I’m fairly curtain mechanically. I test drove her and asked a ton of question prior to making the purchase. The former and original owner was very knowledgeable, deal oriented and up front with information about the bikes history. I even had a friend who owns a RT him self to check it out, too.

The only issue I have is there is intermit valve chatter coming from both sides of the bike. When I start the bike cold and choked out, no chatter to be heard. As she warms up and I turn off the choke; still not a sound. Drive down the road and stop at the first stop light, can’t hear a thing. Ride for a short while come to a stop I can hear the chatter noise and it’s not quite. Here is where things get interesting; I pull in the garage after riding around town for about 15 miles. With this valve noise at every stop. I’m maneuvering around the garage in first gear, to get her backed in and the chatter noise just STOPS. I park her on the center stand and leave her running, no chatter. I rev the bike about 3000 to 3500 R’s and the chatter comes back. Let it come back to idle and in about a minute the chatter stops.

As I stated before the original owner gave me the impression that he was very deal oriented. He told me that the bike had a tune up at 21,627 in the spring of 06.

I’m looking for input on what to do next. Thanks

1) Check the oil level and change it

2) It is time again for a valve adjustment

3) May need a rocker arm adjustment too

Welcome, Enjoy

Just bought my first RT as well. I have always had Japanese bikes, until now. Once I rode the RT I was sold. I got a 2002 with 9K on it. Loving it.

1) Check the oil level and change it

2) It is time again for a valve adjustment

3) May need a rocker arm adjustment too

Welcome, Enjoy

After following through on the above, it will still make some scary noises if you're coming from Japanese bikes. That's what they do. If you trust that the original owner kept up maintenance, just ride the thing (earplugs help)! thumbsup.gif

Yes..........My buddie had an RT and I have rode it in the past. I think it just needs a tune-up. The old owner did one back in 05 with 21600 miles on her. Its due for another!

BTW: The oil was changed this past spring and only has about 300 miles on it.

Thanks to everyone for your input. LOVE the bike!!

You may be hearing clutch noise, see if it's present while stopped and in first gear with clutch lever in; Yes?, well TADT, it's okay. Now put the bike in neutral, clutch lever out; No? see above.

Archived