IGNORED

City Nav North America 2008

twilmotte

I just bought the upgrade DVD of CNNA 2008 from Garmin and I'm having trouble with the routing engine (route preferences). The software does not perform as expected. If you have the CNNA 2008 loaded on your home computer, set your road preferences to the middle of the slider scale on "minor - major roads" and "fastest time." Then have it calculate a route from Universal City TX to Frisco TX and see if CNNA2008 takes you up US 281 through Cleborne TX instead of up I-35 (the obvious fastest route). Then try a few other routes you know are correct and see if CNNA2008 calculates them correctly. Another example, look to see if your CNNA2008 takes you off of I-35 north of San Antonio (in Schertz) for one exit and then right back on to the interstate for no apparent reason. Garmin sent me another copy of CNNA2008 and I had the same issues. They are having their software engineers look into the problem. I'm wondering if other users are reporting the same type problem with the CNNA2008 routing engine. The 2008 software works fine if routes are calculated by the Garmin GPS (2610), but it won't work properly on either my desktop or notebook computers. Anyone else out there experiencing weird issues with the routing engine on CNNA 2008? (BTW, all other software is working properly on my PCs which are running Windows XP.) confused.gif

Not me, because I haven't been able to successfully install CNNA 2008 (the NT version, that is). The installer has errors communicating with Garmin.

Mine works fine so far. I did a route from Tampa to Beer, Brats & Beemers in Enterprise, AL and it performed as expected. I insert lots of waypoints so that I avoid interstates and crowded areas and stay on the backroads.

Not me, because I haven't been able to successfully install CNNA 2008 (the NT version, that is). The installer has errors communicating with Garmin.

I just got an email back with Garmin with a long, complicated procedure and an attached alternate installer program to get the install to work correctly. I haven't tried it yet, because it's not clear from the procedure whether it installs the maps for use in MapSource, or just downloads to the GPS.

I have had that problem since day one with Garmin using their mapping/routing software, here in Canada. Every now and then it will tell me to take an exit off of a major freeway, then get back on at the next ramp....I am so used to it I just ignore it now.

Plus I NEVER leave home without the paper maps. The GPS ain't the godsend we thought it might be.

Jim W.

Did it tell you to get off then get back on or did it think you were on a parallel road and told you to get back on the main road? One is a map issue the other is a GPS issue.

My 2008 map update is on the way.

My software routed me off the interstate and then back on at the next on ramp. Obviously, this is a routing calculation error in the software since it only occurs on routes calculated by my home computers. The GPS routing function works fine. Garmin still hasn't gotten back with me. It's been three days since they said their more senior software engineers were going to look at this problem. In the meantime, I have the 2008 CNNA on my Garmin and am using the V7 software on my computers. (But I can't transfer any route files from computers to GPS.) bncry.gif

In my case it is the mapping funtion, not the GPS that causes the 'hicups' in routing. Same as when it directs me into a pasture where the mapping sees a road that was there (maybe...) 20yrs ago. PLUS having the 'avoid dirt roads' checked does nothing to prevent you from being directed down the occasional 'dirt/gravel' road.

In fact the 'directions' portion of route properties will say,' take dirt road'...

Pretty useless if you ask me.

Jim W.

Archived