IGNORED

OUCH !

glockster

Could someone who speaks spanish please translate the commentary. All I know is it looks like it hurt. Gives a whole new meaning to "high side". They didn't seem to be in a hurry to load him in the ambulance, good news?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaB3lxTVNrI

Basically the commentators were not speaking "live." They were replaying the incident and speaking about the rider going down, sliding, and the inordinate amount of dust it created. They explain that those riders in the immediate area swung right to avoid the fallen rider/bike. Then, out of the preceding corner comes this last rider, and the annoucers opine that he might have been distracted, looking down at his tach, since he was now on a straightaway and would be looking to maximize acceleration in each gear. Thus, he might have not been paying attention to what might be on the track in his chosen path.

russell_bynum

That was in the warmup of the 250 GP race at Brno this weekend.

The first guy (the first faller) is fine.

The other guy (Taro Sekiguchi) has a broken pelvis and two broken ribs but no internal injuries. He was very lucky.

It looks like the 2nd rider in couldn't see the 1st bike due to the dust. He nailed the brakes just as he was emerging from the cloud.

and I agree... OUCH!

OUCH, indeed! But...

I'll bet Metzger would have landed the flip! grin.gif

And now, to begin dissecting the accident, in true BMWST fashion:

Was he going too fast to swerve, or did he just fixate on the downed bike?

ShovelStrokeEd

More importantly, he nailed the brakes and stayed all locked up for a couple of seconds. A NASCAR driver would have gone for the hole. When faced with a moving object sliding across the track, those guys are trained to aim right for it on the theory that it will be gone when they get there.

Here is a perfect instance of a highly trained and skilled rider doing exactly the wrong thing in a panic situation. He actually had time to swerve and could easily have missed the bike given the ability of a 250 cc GP bike to change lines quickly. Unfortunately, he grabbed a handful instead. Not that I would/could have done any better.

Hopw he recovers to race again.

ShovelStrokeEd

White Caddys are easy. With the cornering speeds those guys can achieve, he was probably moving along pretty good and 2 seconds in a movie whilst sitting in an armchair is a whole bunch different from 2 seconds at 80 mph through your visor just after emerging from a big cloud of dust.

I still think he good have swerved, just sayin'.

White Caddys are easy. With the cornering speeds those guys can achieve, he was probably moving along pretty good and 2 seconds in a movie whilst sitting in an armchair is a whole bunch different from 2 seconds at 80 mph through your visor just after emerging from a big cloud of dust.

I still think he good have swerved, just sayin'.

I think he could have slowed wayyyy down while blinded by the dust and smoke cloud. That cloud would have suggested to me there could be a 10-bike pileup ahead.

If he could not see through the dust cloud, why was he still going WFO?

Because it is common for a bike to just clip the grass and throw up a cloud of dust without crashing.

Andy

ShovelStrokeEd
If he could not see through the dust cloud, why was he still going WFO?

This IS 250 GP with world class competition. These guys don't shut the throttle off for nottin'. Competition is so tight usually, that a moment of off throttle when you should be on it could easily cost you 4 places in lost momentum. 250's are better than 125's, those guys are nearly flat all the time. The power to weight ratio of a 250 can make up for a little but, again, at that level, if you are off the gas and your opponent is on, even for a second or so, you are gonna get passed.

I'd love to ride one some day although I doubt I could ride it hard enough to even get the tires up to temperature.

He actually had time to swerve and could easily have missed the bike given the ability of a 250 cc GP bike to change lines quickly. Unfortunately, he grabbed a handful instead.
Yeah, looks like a classic case of target fixation. Can't say for sure he would have made it around it, but he didn't even try.

Ed

11 years ago a buddy and me did a Keith Code school at Willow Springs with full on 125/2 stroke racing bikes. It was a total hoot and we had an absolute blast that day. If you EVER the opportunity go for it in a big way.

If he had been Tom Cruise, Arnold Swartznager, Pierce Bronson or any other of the typical Hollywood action movie stars, he and the bike would have summersaulted together and he would have continued the race while doing a wheelie.

Archived