IGNORED

Autocom Super AV1 Pro Rider

BarOne

Need some help. I have an 2005 R1200 RT and want to talk to my passenger and to other bikers with whom I will be traveling. My bike is pre-wired for a cd player and communications (I think). I have a chance to purchase an Autocom Super Pro Rider AV1 -- new. Here are my questions: is this a good system for my goals, what other equipment would I need in addition to what comes with the basic system and lastly, what technical skills are needed for installation?

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Steve,

I have a 2006 R1200RT. The Autocom Super Pro AVI was recommended by the dealer.

I originally bought it for passenger to passenger communication and it has served well for that. I added XM radio. That was great! Then an interface lead for an MP3 player.

Then I bought a radar unit, next a Zumo 550. I've also bought an FRS radio, but haven't connected it yet.

The only problem I had was getting my cell phone to work with an interface lead. But when I bought the Zumo interface lead, I also bought the Bluetooth interface. The cell phone is working fine now.

I did have the dealer install an auxiliary fuse block and relay for me. They also installed the grounding block for me.

I don't have ANY regrets, but I haven't added up all the receipts either.

I installed one of these on my 2007RT. I don't know if it takes actual technical expertise, but it does take some patience and fiddling. I also bought the fuse block/relay kit. That made it easier. I tapped into the rear aux plug to power the relay. Be aware that there is a delay on the aux plug power. It stays on maybe 30 seconds after the ignition is off. I tapped directly into the speaker wires for that hook-up. That was a bit tricky as I soldered all the joints. More fiddling.

An even bigger challenge was installing the stuff into the helmets. I did my Shoei, and it works well. I did, however, cut and re-connect the speaker wires as it seemed to be an easier approach. I'm told that is a no-no with the mic wire.

I just finished installing the stuff in my wifes new Nolan. We haven't tried it. Again, a bit of a challenge. Both helmets needed a little modding for the speakers.

The dealer warned that the noise sensor might not work as advertised. He has had problems with some set-ups. Mine seems to work well.

Also, you will need to remember that there is auto volume control on both the bike, and the auto comm. I shut off the bike, and it seems to work fairly well. There is a way to shut off the auto comm, but I don't think I want to learn that one.

All in all, the system works very well.

Good Luck

Gary

I may have confused a bit. The fuse box/relay thing is by autocomm, and only for that system. I have the power coming directly from the batt, but I am in the process of installing a separate fuse block as I also am adding a standard 12v aux outlet for the tire pump.

Thanks for the information guys. Do the fuse boxes and helmet gear (speakers and mics) come with the basic $500 package? Am I looking at an initial $500 followed by lots more money for the other stuff needed to make it work? What did BMW charge you for installation? Can you sense my sticker shock looming? Thanks again.

CruisinCruzan

You will need the passenger headset and mic. It is not neccessary to have the sound detecting mic in the pass headset, according to autocom. As for installation if you are planning to eventually add anything else I would put in a fuse block, there are many brands that would work. Installing thenm is very easy 3 wires power and grounds to battery and a wire to a switched power source for your relay. I used on of the parking lights. I have a Kenwood Free Talk XL. The reason I bought that model was that autocom makes an adaptor for it that replaces the battery pack and it is powered when the autocom is powered. It really is quite easy to do. Good Luck

Thanks for the information guys. Do the fuse boxes and helmet gear (speakers and mics) come with the basic $500 package? Am I looking at an initial $500 followed by lots more money for the other stuff needed to make it work? What did BMW charge you for installation? Can you sense my sticker shock looming? Thanks again.

One headset is included with the Pro AVi kit. Two headsets are included with the Pro AVI Duo kit.

To power the Autocom on a CANbus bike, you will need wither an Autocom Part # 1546, or a Touratech 044-0450. If you're going to power other devices, then I suggest the latter.

To capture the sound out of your radio/CD system and feed it into the Autocom, you will need Part #1319. Installing the 1319 requires you to solder into your speaker leads. If you are not adept at removing most of the plastic on your bike, nor skilled at clean solder work, you may want to have your dealer do this for you.

When you purchase an Autocom, you get a fantastic intercom that is the foundation for a complete electronic entertainment/information system. It does come with a few simple cables, such as those to connect to a battery-powere iPod/MP3 or to a basic cell phone. Yes, if you want a cable to connect to a specific brand of GPS, its optional. A cable to your radar detector, optional. A cable and a PTT switch to hook up bike-to-bike communication, optional. These are specialty cables and are not included in the price of the unit, because not everyone needs the same things. Thus, with an Autocom, you only buy that which meets your needs. Nothing wasted.

From what you suggest your needs are, you could save quite a bit by going with the Autocom Active Rider. It will do everything you're looking for, unless you absolutely HAVE to have the auto-volume adjustment of the Pro AVi.

Autocomm has a relatively good info flier about all the products. In it, you can find with what parts each kit is shipped, and there is also a good listing of whatever other gadgets one might want. I suggest you get the catalog.

Gary

I have the Pro-AVI and it's great. I only use it for Rider-to-Pillion communications so far, but have my Zumo and V1 connected to two Shoei helmets. I did find that I needed their wind sock over the microphone - wind noise was interfering with the VOX.

Call their tech support, they'll let you know exactly what you need. They don't pressure you to buy from them.

Installation was not too bad, I bought the relay and connected it to the rear aux power socket. The problem with this is that the Autocomm stays on when the battery charger is plugged in. I've order a canbus adapter from Touratech to fix this. I have a Centech fuse box that provides power and routed the Zumo and V1 cables under the fairing. Everything fits under the seat.

I haven't yet connected a radio for bike-to-bike comm.

Good luck,

Steve

Archived