IGNORED

Any Maintenance/Service Manual Recommendations?

Dobe66

Recently got back into biking with the purchase of a '98 R1100RT and plan on doing a lot of the maintenance work myself. There's a lot of great, specific information on this site, however I could use the added help of a manual. Chilton, Clymer, CDs or ??? Where is the best (most economical) source for a manual?

Recently got back into biking with the purchase of a '98 R1100RT and plan on doing a lot of the maintenance work myself. There's a lot of great, specific information on this site, however I could use the added help of a manual. Chilton, Clymer, CDs or ??? Where is the best (most economical) source for a manual?

Gavin, I would suggest BOTH the BMW service manual on CD (look on E-Bay_ about $10.00 –$ 12.00 including shipping..

Also get the Clymer,, there are some errors in the Clymer but there are service hints & more info on parts removal & service tricks (those are not very good in the BMW manual).. I use the BMW manual for all the torque specs, capacities, & specifications but the Clymer is better at some procedures & how things work..

Then if you want to get serious also get the wire diagrams for your specific bike (very handy for some operations) ..

Twisty

+1 on the factory CD, but try Motobins for a reasonable price on a legal version rather than supporting piracy on Ebay.

I've got a Haynes manual also, but the only time I ever open it is to look at the wiring diagram it contains. Personally, I don't need a manual that takes 2 pages to tell you how to change the oil.

I would agree that it is worthwhile to have both the BMW and Haynes (which I prefer over the Clymer) manual. The BMW manual has more technical information but assumes a lot of pre-existing knowledge on the part of the mechanic. The Haynes manual provides a little more hand holding where it is appropriate.

Jim Bade is coming out with a maintenance DVD for the oilheads. The Hexhead DVD is very good (see my review in MCn this month.) Get the Oilhead DVD with the manual.

-MKL

ETA??

Jim Bade is coming out with a maintenance DVD for the oilheads. The Hexhead DVD is very good (see my review in MCn this month.) Get the Oilhead DVD with the manual.

-MKL

Archived